Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: September WDW visitors Help with dates

September WDW visitors Help with dates

My DH and I have just returned from our first trip to WDW at the end of April and it was a picture perfect dream come true! We are now planning a return trip for September to add a few extra days and see all the things we missed. I was set on September because my brother went the week after Labor Day and said the crowd levels at the parks were very low. I have been checking some of the planning websites and have now begun to freak out a bit because of the weather in September. People talk about crazy rains and hurricanes. So if any of you have traveled in September when would you say is the best time to go. Beginning or End? I live in Minnesota and am used to humid weather and hot does not bother me at all! We would really like to be there when the crowds are low. Any help would be great! We were just getting ready to book and I got nervous and I knew the great people on this board would help! Thanks!
    Newbie still trying to figure it all out!

2. # ADS

We went in mid sept in 2007 and the weather was perfectly fine! It was a hot, but not really humid. I was 5 mos pregnant and felt fine! If your worried about it, go in late sept-early oct. That is a great time of year to go, because less crowds and better deals (free dining !)

Don't worry, and have a good time!

Last edited by iHEARTtheMOUSE; 05-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Thank you so much! I knew I was freaking myself out for no real reason. We're planning on late September because we'd like to check out MNSSHP! Thanks again for putting my mind at ease!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynmarie24 View Post
    I live in Minnesota and am used to humid weather and hot does not bother me at all!
    Ok, I did have to laugh a little at this. I went to Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com) and looked at their travel planner for Minneapolis (I know there are variations within the state, so you can validate this against your own city) and Orlando.

Orlando - Sept 1-15:
    There is a 97% chance of a Sweltering Day (dew point over 70F / 21C).
    (219 days out of 225 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 15
    Orlando - Sept 15-30:
    There is a 91% chance of a Sweltering Day (dew point over 70F / 21C).
    (205 days out of 225 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 14
    So Orlando later September is better than earlier.

Minneapolis - July 16-30 (This was the highest percentages for a 2 week period I found)
    There is a 78% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 65F / 18C).
    (128 days out of 165 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 13
    There is a 30% chance of a Sweltering Day (dew point over 70F / 21C).
    (50 days out of 165 in historical record)
    Most consecutive days found in historic record: 9
    The fact that they don't even mention 'humid' days in the Orlando forecast for September is telling, to me! As is the use of the word sweltering. I started to sweat a little bit just thinking of that word.

We're planning on late September because we'd like to check out MNSSHP! Thanks again for putting my mind at ease!
    I agree with the decision to go later for weather reasons, but the first Halloween Party is before Labor Day, so that shouldn't sway your decision. Now if you're going late enough to be able to hit the Food & Wine Festival - that's another (very very good) reason all together!
    Cathy

That is too funny! Don't get me wrong I understand that Orlando's humity is much different than Minnesota's, I just meant I have dealt with himity. I am a warm freak (I know I live in the wrong state)
    Is the food and wine festival worth it? I don't know much about it at all.

Blog Entries

There are honestly some people out there that don't realize 'their' humidity is very different from Orlando's! (This doesn't apply to people who live South of I-10 and East of Houston, though!)

Is the food and wine festival worth it? I don't know much about it at all.

OMG Yes. I LOVE IT. For example, I'm going to WDW in November for MouseAdventure, but because it's so long after the F&W Ends (ok, one week...) and because I want to do the cruise, too - I couldn't take off enough days of work to make one long trip - so I'm going in October, too, JUST so I can do some of the F&W Fest!

They have 2 dozen food booths set up around World Showcase, and each one has 3-4 small appetizer sized portions of 'representative' food, and then also some wine and/or beer to go with it. In my blog from last October I listed all the items I tried and the prices, from each of the booths.

Additionally, there are free demonstrations of cooking and wine tasting (that sometimes take a huge chunk of time with waiting, since they are somewhat limited in size) as well as some 'signature' events that cost extra (and sometimes a lot extra!)

For two adults especially, I think it's a great way to get to enjoy Epcot and get out of the mode that some people have of racing from attraction to attraction.
    Cathy

Ohhhhh yes, our humidity is VERY different from Orlando's, I'm sure. Every summer we seem to have a lovely mix of humidity and pollution, which results in ozone advisories numerous times in the summer. It can be miserable. Our city is in a shallow valley, and we live about 15 min from the ohio river.

I understand that late summer/early fall is hurricane season in Florida, but you can't predict if or when it's going to happen. As I said before, when we went in mid sept, it was great. It only rained once and wasn't that humid at all. No need to put your life on hold. When going in the off season and getting a great deal such as free dining, I suppose there can be a little bit of a trade off, but it's well worth it. I think that since you just got back from wdw, then you can take it easier in Sept when you go back again. You don't have to go go go in a mad rush to see ALL the attractions. Just being there is great. Just be sure to go at the END of sept. That'll make a difference.

Hey, don't mean to sound stupid, but how do you quote on here? It didn't work for me. thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iHEARTtheMOUSE View Post
    Hey, don't mean to sound stupid, but how do you quote on here? It didn't work for me. thanks!
    If you're quoting someone else (like I did here) just click on the "Quote" button on the lower right side of their post, and it will open up a 'reply to thread' window with there stuff in quote tags. Now in this case, because I was only directly responding to this part of your post, I deleted the other items between the tags. Also, you always want to add more than you quote, so you wouldn't want to quote a big long post and say "I agree".

When you are deleting, though, make sure you don't delete part of the quote tags - so there should be a [ Quote(maybe some more stuff ] at the front (without the spaces) and a [ /Quote ] at the end of the quote (again without the spaces).

When I added the stuff from weather underground, I used the button to add those- it's right above the box that you're typing in, and looks like a little cartoon word bubble. It'll put the quote tags around what you either have highlighted when you click it, or you can type in between them (or you can just type the tags, but you probably want to use the buttons until you get used to it.)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post

When you are deleting, though, make sure you don't delete part of the quote tags - so there should be a [ Quote(maybe some more stuff ] at the front (without the spaces) and a [ /Quote ] at the end of the quote (again without the spaces).
    That's where I think I messed up! I deleted too much. OKAY, let's see if it works this time! Thank You, Drince88!

(YEP, it worked!)

Blog Entries
    Mark's update today had a little bit about the F&W Festival, and includes a link to the 'official' page.

I forgot about the Eat to the Beat concert series, too. A lot of people really enjoy that!
    Cathy

Another vote for late September. The weather will be quite a bit nicer, the crowds should be down, and the Food & Wine Festival is really a lot of fun. You can make a terrific meal out of the food booths around Epcot's World Showcase. Just stop off at the first one that interests you, enjoy a morsel of food and a small cup of wine, and then move on to the next one. I guarantee that by the time you reach halfway around, you'll be either full, pleasantly tipsy or both! There are also lots of cooking and wine demonstrations, but I have never spent any time at them. A lot of people like them, though!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

We're going in the middle of September for our 10th anniversary (9/14 - 9/19). I am planning on it being uber-hot and humid, and hoping there won't be a big tropical storm or hurricane. That said, we will have trip insurance so if severe weather dictates a change in plans, we will not be out everything.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.