Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Vacation Weather

Vacation Weather

Checking weather.com this morning has me in a dreary mood. The first few days of our vacation ( May 17-24 ) have been listed as thunderstorms I am hoping that as this week goes on, they will change for the better. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

2. # ADS

Florida weather forecasts often have thunderstorms listed, but are usually scattered or quick. Plus that is still over a week away. Don't let it depress you, but bring cheap ponchos if it makes you feel better.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To add to what Sue said, regardless of the time of year that you are vacationing, its always good to be prepared for showers. If you have ponchos in hand, its no real issue to continue your touring plans.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I started looking at the weather for my just finished April visit way before, using the 15 day forecasts on Accuweather.com. They changed almost daily, starting with a few nice days surrounding bad weather, then morphing into all nice days, then some small chances of rain, etc. The actual trip was just about perfect weather, with only one day up in the upper 80's. The rest of the time was around 82, humid but not raining. Very nice!

And a lot of those thunderstorms only last 20 minutes or so. It's kinda fun to be in a park and watch all the tourists scurrying out the exit. 20 minutes later the rain stops, and you have the park to yourself!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Having lived in Orlando for the first 18 years of my life, I can tell you that most if not all summer forecasts have thunderstorms for each day; it's the heat; it causes pop-up thunder storms that can last anywhere from 15 minutes to maybe an hour, but then, in most cases all is calm, all is bright again. Only a tropical system can bring day-long drenching rains to central Florida (in the summertime at least), and they tend to hit toward the end of the summer, but there have been exceptions to this rule.

In the end, don't sweat the weather (no pun intended); your reservations are made, you can't really change them at this point, so the weather will be what the weather will be. Just be flexible, adapt to the weather, and enjoy the heck out of the wonderful world of Disney!

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Just be flexible, adapt to the weather, and enjoy the heck out of the wonderful world of Disney!
    And hydrate!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

In the end, don't sweat the weather (no pun intended); your reservations are made, you can't really change them at this point, so the weather will be what the weather will be. Just be flexible, adapt to the weather, and enjoy the heck out of the wonderful world of Disney!
    I'm a believer in planning for every contingency. A poncho is easy enough to pack, and I'd rather have it and not use it than wish I'd brought it!

I'm just hoping the weather stays in the 80s next week!
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

I just checked weather.com for your days. There's only one day, the 19th, where it's 60% chance of storms. The rest of the time it's 30%. Anything less than 50% is pretty good. Also, all days are either isolated or scattered thunderstorms which means exactly what it says. It could be raining in Animal Kingdom and totally dry in Epcot. It's even rained on one side of Main Street but not on the other. The point is - Disney World is so big, you can always find something to do that's dry. Even when it's raining in your park, head indoors or simply put on a poncho and continue touring.

We've had some of the most fun when it is raining and a couple of my fondest memories are in the rain. Don't worry about it. It's a proven fact that humans don't melt when it rains on them.

Thank you all so much for the words of advice. We went to the World last May also and experienced the same type of forecast. It said all thunderstorms all week and the day before we left it was sunny all week. I think that I will be so excited to be in Disney World that I wont even notice the weather!

Good thing we don't melt when it rains, that could get messy

I guess there's only one thing I do @ Walt Disney World that rain would really put a "damper" on. I like to take an early morning walk around the resort, with my coffee. The rain drops hitting inside my coffee cup just splash it all over me. I don't like that . And besides, it waters down the coffee.

On the other hand, I was in the MK one morning when a real front was moving through; not just scattered showers or something--consistent, steady rain all morning. I put my poncho on and just kept going. The rain kept the crowd down, and the lines short. Later that day it was pretty crowded, but I'd already ridden everything I really wanted to, so I was able to be picky, and use a lot of FPs, and had a great afternoon/evening even with the crowd.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg in TN View Post
    The rain drops hitting inside my coffee cup just splash it all over me. I don't like that . And besides, it waters down the coffee.
    They do make lids that you can drink through for the coffee cups (including the refillable mugs) at WDW!!
    Cathy