Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Characters in Flight Opens--Are You Riding?

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Characters in Flight Opens--Are You Riding?

The big, tethered helium balloon that rises several hundred feet into the air for spectacular views has opened in DTD. It's $16 for about a 10 minute ride. I'm not fond of heights so I think I'll pass (even though EE doesn't bother me--). Anyone go on it yet or planning to on their next trip? I have seen some pictures from the balloon and it looks beautiful.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

2. # ADS

Lost in the Viridian Forest...

I would like to try it. I could probably get some wonderful pics on top of that! And imagine if you were on it while there were fireworks!

Stephen Valente

Disney Again! Polynesian '09!
    hoping to go back soon...

Tina, I don't think it's a helium balloon - just a hot air balloon (much safer!). And I'd really like to ride, but I'm betting the line will be 2 hours long for the forseeable future.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I can't wait to try this... the article mentioned that the ride can hold up to 31 folks at a time so as I'm sure the line will be long, it might move swiftly... will be checking out next month for sure!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm having troubles getting my mind around how BIG the balloon has to be. 31 people is a LOT of people in a small space, and needing a decent amount of 'lift' to get off the ground!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Tina, I don't think it's a helium balloon - just a hot air balloon (much safer!). And I'd really like to ride, but I'm betting the line will be 2 hours long for the forseeable future.
    Aren't you a fellow claustrophobic? Sounds like too cheek to cheek for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'm having troubles getting my mind around how BIG the balloon has to be. 31 people is a LOT of people in a small space, and needing a decent amount of 'lift' to get off the ground!
    There was the thought I had in my head (i.e. how big the ballonn has to be; not gonna be big enough)! - 31 strangers, pretty intimate, no where to escape

Tina - guarnateed the children will want to be up in this for sure though. Will have to be a Mr. Chill special....

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

No, and also no. I can get the same views from Google Earth and not be the guy in the balloon when the bag rips.

I also don't go for jumping out of airplanes with perfectly good landing gear, so take that as you will.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I used to love hot air balloons - seeing pictures of them, having stickers of them, etc. Unless it was my only means of escape from certain death, though, I don't think I could bring myself to ride in one. I'm not generally afraid of heights, but for hot air balloon rides, I'll make an exception.

Multiple years ago, the husband, a friend and the MIL did an early morning hot air balloon ride in Temecula for the husband's birthday. I slept in at the hotel that morning.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Tina, I don't think it's a helium balloon - just a hot air balloon (much safer!).
    It's a helium balloon.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...grand_ope.html

Blog Entries

When I first clicked on this post, I was not interested at ALL. Now after reading the article, I am intrigued, but maybe not brave enough to try it. I am not afraid of heights, I have been to the top of The Empire State Building sevral times, but that doesn't move.

I really like the idea of it.

Meisha
    WDW 1988, 1992, 2008, 2009
    DCL 2009
    No countdown right now

I think they nabbed the idea for this big balloon from Disneyland Paris. When we visited there two years ago, we saw a big balloon that looks pretty much like this one. We didn't try it (it was cold!) but it looked as if it were perfectly safe.

I might have to give it a whirl (so to speak) on my next trip.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Blog Entries

We have one of these balloons at the Philadelphia Zoo. It is very neat. For those who are picturing a square basket and how small that must be don't worry it's a donut shaped basket with plenty of room.
    The views are great and you forget you are up in the air. I am not generally afraid of heights but do not like to look down from any height and I did not have that problem on the balloon.
    I look forward to being able to see the views from the DtD balloon in June and/or September.

Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

I am really excited to hear about this... Is has opened already??
    I wish you could make reservations of something because as you said, this line is going to be HUGE! I hope I get a chance to do it.. Where about in DTD is it located?

**Kristin**
    You just have to have it in you... the MAGIC*

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
    It's a helium balloon.
    Well, I did a little quick research, and you might be right. Most references are to a gas filled balloon, with other products from the manufacturer using helium. Sorry bout that, Tina!
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Aren't you a fellow claustrophobic? Sounds like too cheek to cheek for me!
    I'd want to watch how many people they cram in there. If it is shoulder to shoulder, then I don't think I'd be interested!
    - James Taylor

Well, I did a little quick research, and you might be right. Most references are to a gas filled balloon, with other products from the manufacturer using helium. Sorry bout that, Tina!
    No worries, dearie! I thought for a minute I misread the info.

Apparently the number of "rider" is heavily dependent on the wind. So, if you are like Scoobydooby, Dan, or me, go on a windy day!

Living The Dream

I will defiantly make an effort to take a ride on this, seems like a cool thing to do on my day in DTD.

Never be satisfied with having something work, know WHY it works.

Can't wait to help make the magic!

Will you do it defiantly, defying the gods to strike you down? Or will you do it definitely? Picky minds want to know!

- James Taylor

Blog Entries

Picky minds aka Dan's picky mind!

I am very afraid of heights. I won't even do ferris wheels, but something about this makes me want to do it. I would have to see it go up though. I'm sure once I see it all the way up there I will chicken out.

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    Picky minds aka Dan's picky mind!
    Hey, I have to point out misspells and grammatical errors - I just HAVE TO!!! I might as well have some fun along the way!
    - James Taylor

Living The Dream
    Will you do it defiantly, defying the gods to strike you down? Or will you do it definitely? Picky minds want to know!
    the second one, I hate when I hit the wrong option on spellcheck.

I'm so bad the grammar police have a reserved cell for me.
    Never be satisfied with having something work, know WHY it works.

Can't wait to help make the magic!

No worries, bantha - I just thought it was funny!

- James Taylor

Ooooh, this looks fun!!

No trips planned for now but I would love to try it!!

~Annie

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

It looked really neat when they were testing it when I was at SSR a couple of weeks ago. However, I suspect they will probably ask you your weight (to calculate how many people they can put in at a time) so there is NO way I am revealing that info!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson