Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: 'Ohana & Wishes

'Ohana & Wishes

Okay, so I have narrowed my dining choices down to 13 places (to eat at in 5 days)lol...I'm trying to narrow down between Ohana and California Grill. I really, really really want to eat at Ohana ( I know the reviews are mixed, but i want to check out the poly also!), but I'm confused about the deal with wishes. I heard you can see it best on the beach (going with my bf, so it's very romantic), but can you hear it? Should i try going to both of these places? which one for wishes? Help!

CBR-1990/PoR-1992/AsMu-1996/Offsite-2000/PoR-DCL-2001/AkL-DCL-2003/BDWLK-2006/AsMu-2007/ALSpOrTs-2008
    Next: AKL 07/09!!!!!!!

2. # ADS

My short answer is yes, try for both places - they're totally different, and totally incredible places to eat! I'm not sure if they pipe in the music out on the beach, but I know they do it on the 15th floor balcony outside of the CG.

And who's giving mixed reviews of 'Ohana? I've eaten there many times and have had nothing but wonderful experiences there. Some people don't like the kids' games or the ukelele player, but I think everyone likes the food!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

We have eaten at 'Ohana during the fireworks. They pipe the music in and it was a very nice view. They stop "all the festivities" during the fireworks and let everyone enjoy them.

We really enjoyed the theme of the restaurant, the food and the view of the fireworks! We give it a 10! I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose 'Ohana!
    Happy planning!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought I'd read of people watching the fireworks, with music, from the Beach at the Poly, too. THAT seems more romantic to me than watching from either restaurant location (especially if you can snag a hammock).

Cathy

HI,

We watched the fireworks from the beach at the Poly at Christmas time, and if you get a Hammock or a chair close to the pool you can hear the music better. It is very romantic to be on the beach while watching the fireworks! It is still so very cool even though you are far away, but it gives you a different perspective. We are going in May and eating at California Grill for the first time, so I can report back on that when we return.

Either way ENJOY!!!

EILEEN
    DL 1973, WDW 1976, DL 1982, WDW 3/1984, WDW 5/1993, DL 5/2003, WL 10/2004, WL 12/2005 , ASMu 11/2007, Poly 12/2008, SSR 5-13 to 5-19-09,Disney cruise 12/09

I have seen very mixed reviews of 'Ohana also (on allears) and was getting a little nervouse myself. We are eating there in (dare I say - I can't believe it), 2 weeks and I was questioning my decision. We'll be too early for the fireworks, but are hoping to catch them on the beach.

I am also trying to do the O'hana/Wishes thing* I ahve reservations for O'hana at i think 7:30.. I tried to plan it so I would be out in time for the fireworks* I am happy to hear they pipe in the music! i was going to try to book a wishes cruise thing, cuz I saw that it will soon be available to smaller party sizes as of ... well I dunno exactly but b4 I go! Watch from the beach for fREE? My style lol

**Kristin**
    You just have to have it in you... the MAGIC*

Okay thanks everyone! I have decided to do Wishes & Ohana

CBR-1990/PoR-1992/AsMu-1996/Offsite-2000/PoR-DCL-2001/AkL-DCL-2003/BDWLK-2006/AsMu-2007/ALSpOrTs-2008
    Next: AKL 07/09!!!!!!!

Ohana's is my family's FAVORITE place. You shouldn't be disappointed. We eat there every trip - hubby's ONLY request in going to the world. If on the dining plan, it is only 1 table service. California Grill is considered 2 table services. They serve salad, wings, dumplings, veggies, chicken, shrimp, steak, pork, & pasta. It is all-you-can-eat but brought to your table "family style". If you are vegetarian they bring a dish of veggies and tofu. Bread pudding is not to be missed. This is a place that will be good for vegetarians or meat-eaters. If you want to be there for the entertainment your reservation should be at least two hours before closing. Sometimes the entertainment leaves a few hours before closing especially at slower times. This is good if you like a quieter atmosphere. Not so if you like entertainment. The loby has an artist that can sketch you as a couple.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas

Pre-DVC '98? & 7/07 off-site, 7/08 Contemporary DVC: 2/09, 6/09, 7/09, 9/09, 11/09, 3/10, 10/10, DREAM 11/11

Just to make it clear - the bulk of the comments above were for 'Ohana (the way it was worded some might think it was all about the Cali. Grill). And I agree with it all!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor