Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best and Cheapest Place to Have Dinner in the Park?

Best and Cheapest Place to Have Dinner in the Park?

Meh. So my car is more broken than I thought and the trip budget needs to be trimmed a bit so I can fix it. Where is the best and cheapest place to have dinner in the park? We are having biiig muffins for breakfast, a box of granola bars for snacks, and decent sized deli sandwiches for lunches along with smartwaters to drink that we are bringing, but there's still the matter of a nice, warm dinner. Any ideas? I'd be happy even if it was just burgers or pizza or something, as long as it's warm, in the park, tastes fairly good, and is cheap. Thanks!

2. # ADS

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm#dl

I don't know how accurate this is, but I use it for a general idea.

My Disney fund has gotten a bit smaller due to medical bills so I know how you feel. I don't know how many people you are taking, but can you share meals? My kids are young enough so we are able to split whatever we are eating. I would also suggest eating outside of the parks (easier said than done for us )

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

One of our favorites is at the Pizza Port...any of the full portions of pasta is enough to share between two if you're not starving. The pizza slices are really large but we've found that if you ask, the CM will cut them into smaller servings for you to make them easier to share.

Most of the time we'll get two side salads, one order of pasta and our drinks and it's as 'cheap' as you can get inside the park. If you like fried chicken the Plaza Inn dinner is pretty big with the same disclaimer, if you're not really big eaters/starving.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

We don't do a lot of walk up meals but I would definitely second the opinions above that most all Disney portions are big enough to share--Bengal Barbecue being an exception. I also find that the kids meal at most places is big enough for me--you can get a small bottled water or soda instead of milk. They aren't going to ask you your age when purchasing kids meals.

Also, please note that even though the menus won't say so, you can usually get "just a hamburger" or whatever--you don't have to order the adult combo if you don't want the fries or the drink. Just ask. Kid combos are usually prepackaged so you do have to buy the whole thing.

I would suggest starting with the idea of splitting. If you are still hungry afterwords, you can add a dessert or another of something.

Pizza Port does get higher marks than some of the other walk up places. I like to take my food from any counter location into the Golden Horseshoe and catch the last Billy Hill show of the day, if one is scheduled. I get there 45-60 minutes before the show to get a good table, eat in a warm, dry location, and then relax for the show.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I also find that the kids meal at most places is big enough for me--you can get a small bottled water or soda instead of milk. They aren't going to ask you your age when purchasing kids meals.
    I just have to add that they prob wont ask age cause they understand that parents sometimes will sit their children down first before ordering food.
    "That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

I envy everyone who can split plates. On our trip last month we only ended up eating in the parks once, dinner at Tastes Pilots' Grill, and although we had snacked on stuff I had packed throughout the afternoon, we all really needed our own meals. DH and I each ordered an adult combo, and we ordered a toddler and kid's meal for our 19 month and 4 year old, and we all ate just about every bite of our food! Doing the park all day makes us hungry! Later that night we got ice cream too, although we really didn't need that, that was just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroGirl View Post
    I just have to add that they prob wont ask age cause they understand that parents sometimes will sit their children down first before ordering food.
    Hmm. Although most parents will sit their kids down first once they have all of the food, I can't imagine that many paretns go through the line, order food for their kids, sit them down to eat, and then get back in line and order their own food. Parents typically order all at once for the whole family.

Usually when we go in for a meal, my kids and I go and sit down and my husband goes and orders the food. It is so much easier that way.

We always share a meal where we know the portions are big. Such as The Plaza Inn or River Bell Terrace. The restaurant across from Pirates is good too. They charge a 4 dollar split fee. So my bf orders the monte cristo and I get a cup of gumbo (4 dollars) and we share. We avoid the split charge by me ordering gumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by wwomant View Post
    Hmm. Although most parents will sit their kids down first once they have all of the food, I can't imagine that many paretns go through the line, order food for their kids, sit them down to eat, and then get back in line and order their own food. Parents typically order all at once for the whole family.
    Many time the parents will order food for the kids from one place and order thier food from somewhere else. Or the kids will get hungery before the parents. I have often ordered a kids meal all by it self, with no kids around.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraInAZ View Post
    Many time the parents will order food for the kids from one place and order thier food from somewhere else. Or the kids will get hungery before the parents. I have often ordered a kids meal all by it self, with no kids around.
    You're right. I can't remember us ever not ordering all of our food together, but it makes sense that some families do as you say for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
    Usually when we go in for a meal, my kids and I go and sit down and my husband goes and orders the food. It is so much easier that way.
    Definitely! This is how we do it too.

Okay, it's not the cheapest meal in DL, but I would recommend the Plaza Inn. They serve good wholesome meals (usually pot roast, fried chicken, pasta) and the portions are quite large. I am very fond of their Cobb Salad. They allow for free soda refills, which I find to be a real money saver, because I often have as many as three glassfulls during a meal. The atmosphere is very elegant, and it is a nice place to relax. It is in the heart of the park with lovely views.

Canadian Disney Fanatic! MissDisney's Avatar

This isnt INSIDE disneyland, but about a 10 min walk...
    If you go out the MAIN GATE (by the disney trams.... or turn left when you come out of disneyland park) walk until you get to a cross walk... cross the street and turn to the left there's a restaurant called Millie's maybe 5 minutes down the street (just past McDonalds). If you want a good sit down dinner, I love this place. Meals are about $10 - $15 and the portions are really good (my family always has leftovers)
    http://www.millies.com/page5.html - the menu

If you want to stay IN disneyland... the Pizza Port has a pretty good selection. Also, the last time I had burritos at Rancho Del Zocalo they were super filling

happy eating

Blog Entries

If you are leaving DL, I prefer Mimi's over Millie's.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Yodeler View Post
    Okay, it's not the cheapest meal in DL, but I would recommend the Plaza Inn.
    I second the Plaza Inn. Their portions really are large enough to share. For example, the chicken dinner includes three large pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes, a vegetable and a biscuit. We've asked for an extra biscuit and have never been charged. As mentioned, they allow free refills on soda. Plus, they offer a AAA discount. I think you get very good bang for your buck here and everything is delicious!

If you want a good, hot meal with beautiful ambience, the Plaza is definitely the place.
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

Disney Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
    I would also suggest eating outside of the parks (easier said than done for us )

What about ordering in Pizza in your hotel room?

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Yodeler View Post
    Okay, it's not the cheapest meal in DL, but I would recommend the Plaza Inn. They serve good wholesome meals (usually pot roast, fried chicken, pasta) and the portions are quite large.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mouse View Post
    I second the Plaza Inn. Their portions really are large enough to share.
    If you missed last week's Disneyland Resort Update, the portions of some menu items at the Plaza Inn have been downsized. The Cobb salad is much smaller, as are the pasta entrees. For now the fried chicken meal is still the same size, and easily enough food for two adults to share, but I won't be at all surprised to see that portion cut soon too.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

Last time I spend the day in DCA(in Jan 09) I was looking at menu that was a walk up counter, serving chicken fingers, fries that sort of thing. I added up the chicken fingers, fries and soda and it would only be a few more dollars if we went to the Grand Cal. Hotel and ate at Storytellers. Some plates you could share. Not sure if there is a splitting fee, we didn't spilt the time we tried this. Its a quitter place, softer seat lol and just way more relaxing, then sitting on a bench in the middle of the park. I order water, putting my own Crystal Light flavoring in it. I can't remember the cost, but it was only a few bucks more. Well worth it, you come out more relaxed and refreshed, ready to go into the parks again.

Im guessing it would be a lot more if you did this for dinner, so we are trying the lunch menu and then eating something cheap, like a hotdog(well nothings is really cheap in the parks) for dinner and maybe some popcorn to munch on later on in the evening.

First DLR Trip as a ticketed guest (no AP) Thanksgiving 2012
    Disneyland every NYE from 1985-2010
    WDW Nov 2003, May 2009, Aug/Sept 2010
    WDW Wedding May 2008 at WP/LS
    TDR Oct/Nov 2008 DLP 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    If you are leaving DL, I prefer Mimi's over Millie's.
    Absolutely. Mim's is far better.

As far as meals in the park, I would recommend Taste Pilot's Grill over in DCA or the Pizza Port in Tomorrowland if you want big portions for the price. As far as meal quality, I really love the Carnation Cafe and the Cafe Orleans.

Thumbs up

Thanks...I think I'm going to do Pizza Port for dinner, we'll most likely be in the Tomorrowland area anywhoo around dinner time, and the least amount of walking to get to food the better as I'll be darn near 6 mos preggers lol

You guys are so super helpful!

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    If you missed last week's Disneyland Resort Update, the portions of some menu items at the Plaza Inn have been downsized. The Cobb salad is much smaller, as are the pasta entrees. For now the fried chicken meal is still the same size, and easily enough food for two adults to share, but I won't be at all surprised to see that portion cut soon too.

AVP
    Thanks for the info, AVP - I hadn't seen the news about this change.

I suppose I can live with smaller portions but I really hope that they leave the menu itself alone. Seeing the menu changes at some of the other places has me a little worried. The Plaza is our favorite restaurant at the DLR and we often eat there multiple times per trip. If they were to do away with the chicken or pasta dinners I think our entire family would be really disappointed.
    All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

We bring in a small foldable cooler for our lunch. It really can save a lot if you don't eat two meals in the park each day.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

We frequently split the food from the Pizza Port--my two DD and I share the chicken fusilli and a large salad. Plenty of food for the three of us!

Also, it is outside of the parks but I recommend White Water Snacks. The prices are resonable and portions are huge (except they changed the size of the kid's burger ). We like to split the chicken nachos and a salad between the three of us!

I also buy kid's meals a lot at the park at the walk-up eateries--just the right size for me. I have never had anyone question me.

For sit-down meals, ditto on Story Teller's Cafe. You get a great meal for just a little over walk-up meals.

I can tell you what not to get, it's the macaroni and cheese in Toontown. It was maybe 1/2 cup per portion, not even enough for my 2 year old, much less myself. It comes with apple slices too but ours were brown, inedible (yes I could have taken them back but didn't want to hassle it). I'm not sure if the portions are that small elsewhere, but we won't be ordering that again. It was a snack size for my 2 and 4 year olds and myself and got hungry soon thereafter.
    We were trying to economize too and skimping definitely didn't work out. We also tried the burgers at Hungry Bear, bad bad bad too. Very dry, small and tasteless. Budgeting just wasn't worth the cost in the long run when we got hungry so soon after.

They have food in Toontown?

We have never eaten in Toontown. We stay away from Tomorrowland Terrace, Hungry Bear and Toontown...there are too many other great places to eat!

Our friends went to DL for 5 days and refused to ask us any tips

They got home and said they were totally sick of hamburgers....and we mentioned we have n-e-v-e-r had a hambuger in DL or WDW!! I think they just stopped at the most obvious places to eat.

That is why MP is so awesome...so we know these things ahead of time

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4