Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: High Speed Internet at Disney Hotels?

High Speed Internet at Disney Hotels?

Hi All!

We're a few days away from our yearly anniversary week at Disneyland and I have a question for you. We always stay at the Disney resort and get charged a fee for the internet already included in the room rate, but we've never used it. Now I'm determined to use it since we're being charged for it anyway so I'll be lugging down my lap top. My question is, how would I connect to the net? Do I need a special cable or something? Last year when we were at the PPH, I saw a cable wrapped up in the desk but I didn't give it too much thought since we didn't have our lap top with us. Any ideas of what I would need other than a computer? Thanks!

Engaged at Disneyland by Sleeping Beauty Castle after Christmas Fireworks 11-17-07
    Married at Disneyland Summer 2010

2. # ADS

In my position, I'm on-call 24x7x365, that includes vacations. So, I always have laptop with me. The last couple of times that we've stayed at DLR Hotels, I've used their wireless network connection, but I have also used the wired connection in the past. There was a cable in the desk draw, and instructions where to "put it." It's then just a matter of opening a website the authenticates you into their network. It's actually pretty easy.

At WDW last March, I noticed the internet access is an additional daily fee, but, I had a company data card for that trip and didn't need resort internet access. Just an interesting side note.

Thanks so much for the info (wdw included - never been there but hope to honeymoon there someday!) I'm glad to know it's an easy "plug in" process with instructions. I'd just hate to pack the computer and not be able to log on. I guess I was more worried that we'd need some extra special gadget (like back in the days of desktop computers - my roomates in college had issues with the campus internet because they needed to get an ethernet card and cord and have it installed).

Engaged at Disneyland by Sleeping Beauty Castle after Christmas Fireworks 11-17-07

Save damsel-kill bad guys-save world jMom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have used their cable and I think it's a standard USB port plug-in. You can call the DLH and ask about connections for your particular laptop.

Bob Genghis Khan, So-crates Johnson, Dennis Frood, & uh, uh... Abraham Lincoln // I've been ionized ... but I'm okay.
    "The imp of the perverse made me do it. I said ‘yes’. Why curse the darkness when someone offers you a blowtorch, hey?" - R. McKinley

I've only used wifi at GCH, so I can't say for sure how this works, but:

I've stayed in many hotels where I couldn't get the wifi signal from my room and/or the ethernet cable is missing. I always throw a small one (3 ft) in my laptop bag, just in case. If I'm bringing along a laptop or paying for something, I want to use it.

I'll take your suggestions and plan on taking my old ethernet cable just in case. I kind of remember there being a number to call in case you had trouble with your internet in your room, so I'll wait for that and hope I won't have to use it. I just have a feeling that if I call the hotel directly, I'll get someone that won't know what I'm talking about and will just say "yes" to whatever I say. LOL Thanks again!

I'm always having to use different hotels' internet connections -- the process is always the same if there is no wifi around....find the cable (sometimes it's coming from the light or nearby, they hide the cables), plug into your usb port, hit your browser, and it will automatically redirect to the hotel's authentication page. You'll hit OK or whatever it wants, and away you go.

Challenges I've seen in hotels (don't know about DLR hotels yet):

cable is too short to reach to a comfortable working position (so the idea for bringing an extra is a good one);
    no plug right by the cable so I have to use the laptop on battery, or get an extension chord to plug it in while online;
    sometimes the system, depending on what they have, can be overloaded and run slow;
    often the lobby or pool area of a hotel has wifi

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My experience has been much like kitkat1's - and on the authentication page, if there's a charge, it will mention it there - with one exception - I've NEVER plugged into my USB port - it's always been into the ethernet port (the one that looks like a phone port but is a smidgen bigger).

Cathy

My husband used the resort connection last June at the DLH and it worked great. Where we had to connect was on the desk and so it was perfect. Planning on taking our laptop when we go in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    My experience has been much like kitkat1's - and on the authentication page, if there's a charge, it will mention it there - with one exception - I've NEVER plugged into my USB port - it's always been into the ethernet port (the one that looks like a phone port but is a smidgen bigger).
    I was thinking the same thing about the USB port... I've never even heard of an internet connection that would plug in there... I think the people who have posted about it were probably mistaken, otherwise I'm just confused (which is not an abnormal state for me!)
    ==Wendi==
    2007 WDW @ AKL ~ 2006 WDW @ AKL ~ 2005 WDW @ Pop ~ DLR Too Many Times To Count!

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post

Yes, my mistake!!! Posted after long work day and tired....thanks for the correction!

Was going to use the plug in cord last year at PPH, but didn't have to b/c I managed to pick up the wifi from the public areas. We were on the 11th floor, but I still picked it up, it was wild. We're staying there next month and I hope it works the same, but if not I'm sure the cord will work just fine with no hassles. I've plugged in my mac at HoJo, Courtyard and various other places in the last year and a half without troubles, I don't anticipate any at PPH.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance and tips. We're staying at the PPH so I'm glad that there doesn't seem to be any issues with their internet and being able to connect. I can't wait! We check in Saturday.