Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: No window decorating allowed?

No window decorating allowed?

Please tell me this isn't happening! A family posted on another Disney site that they were made to take all of their window decorations down. They came back from a day in the parks to find a message on their phone stating if the decorations were not taken down, they would be charged for having them up! Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am really worried because I just bought some window clings for my trip to Disney this October. And I am staying at the same resort the other poster was at, the All Star Sports. Is the no window decorations thing a new rule?

2. # ADS

Shrinking for the better

Wow-if it is a rule, it must be a really new one. I've seen pictures of great decorations of windows and doors for Halloween and for Christmas. Hopefully someone knows here knows the scoop.

To DL or not to DL September 2010-that is the question....

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

If it's true, it's new for this year. We put up Halloween decorations in our window at POFQ last Halloween and there was not one word about it.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar
    Oh NO! We're having a Tagrel.com MouseFest window decorating contest!! I need to find out before everyone spends a fortune on their windows.....

Anyone else have this experience!??!?!?!?!
    Working hard for that next WDW trip!

What type of decorations were they? Perhaps it was an issue with what the materials were in relation to safety.

What were the decorations for? It could be that someone objected to what they said.

I would suggest calling the resort and asking specifically.

Whoa!

Contacted POFQ front desk directly (a friend happens to be there right now and went to ask for me). There are to be NO decorations in the windows any more. They must be removed or else you're charged.

My guess is that it was a mess for Mousekeeping and perhaps a fire hazard for people (like me) who brought light-up Christmas decorations for the window. Bummer, but I guess I understand.

We had to cancel that meet/contest on the other site. BOO! On the other hand, I won't have to mail as much stuff down!

Blog Entries

So not even little things on the windows? I was just going to bring those little cling-ons for a dollar. I can see not bringing christmas lights and big things, but where's the harm with window clings?

Kristin

Shrinking for the better
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    So not even little things on the windows? I was just going to bring those little cling-ons for a dollar. I can see not bringing christmas lights and big things, but where's the harm with window clings?
    Totally agree with that. Windows clings shouldn't be a biggie. I think it would be a fun way for little ones to pick out "their" window from the masses. Bummer....
    To DL or not to DL September 2010-that is the question....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrj View Post
    I think it would be a fun way for little ones to pick out "their" window from the masses. Bummer....
    I think it is a great way for me to pick out my window I'm not good at remembering room numbers! One time I tried getting into "my" room and got mad when my key wasn't working. Lucking someone in my family wasn't far behind and when they caught up they just walked passed me as I stared and complained that my key wasn't working. I then watched them walk into our room.
    Kristin

Not sure about the clingies. They may do a 'zero tolerance' thing for a while to get people switched back around. Another pal on the other board found a flyer from one of those schools that come down for whatever, and it said...

wait....I'll go pull it up so I don't misquote her....

Interesting...I found this in a flyer for a 2007 Lacrosse meet.

Please note that banners, posters, decorations, and signs cannot be hung from the doors, handrails, walls or in windows.
    Use of adhesives and window decorating with paints, soap, lipstick, markers, etc. is prohibited
    Damage to room, paint, or excessive cleaning will be charged to the group or group leader.

It sounds like they are now extending it to all guest rooms. I would presume the penalty would be similiar to the fine for smoking in a room.
    I guess it depends if they call a cling an "adhesive." It doesn't leave a sticky residue, but sometimes you can see the outline of the cling after you take it down (especially the gel-type ones). If they have to wash the windows afterwards, I'll bet it will be a no-go.

I'm SO bummed about this. I guess I understand that they can't keep control of the windows, so upsetting guests could happen. It messes with the themes of the resorts, too.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

This sounds like it may have generated at one of those Cheerleader or Football conventions that unfortunately invade the resorts in December. That's a shame. I thought it was pretty cool seeing all the Christmas windows last December at Riverside. I didn't however like the hordes of cheerleaders and football players, and I teach high school, so I'm used to it.

I always put stuffed toys on the windowsills, and I did that this past weekend. I guess you can still do that, but it is a bummer that you can't go all out with decorations.

I'm sure it stems from people going over board and Mousekeeping having to constantly clean off residue.

The thread being referred to from another site has pictures posted of their window. Full of writings - personal sayings in removable paint. But how does Disney know it's easily removable.

Last WDW trip Sept. 2008; Awaiting 16th trip to WDW!

we just got back from a weeks stay at the pop. I decorated our window, but only with a stuffed animals and princess figurines. I saw more windows with stuffed animals and figurines than not. I didn't see any window clings.

They probably don't clean the windows every time they make up the room. If you think of the extra time it takes to get any of that off, multiplied by the number of rooms, it's a lot of extra time for the housekeeping staff.

Wandering lonely as a cloud...
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    They probably don't clean the windows every time they make up the room. If you think of the extra time it takes to get any of that off, multiplied by the number of rooms, it's a lot of extra time for the housekeeping staff.
    You know that spray snow stuff folks put on windows?

I let my kids do that(at home!)...once...
    I thought, well, the windows need cleaning anyway so why not let them have fun.

I think there may still be some "snow" on one of the back windows...
    The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Just got word from Public Affairs at WDW. They'd been researching the policy after I asked about it, and they were having trouble finding anything about a new policy. The final response:

Based on my research, there is no new policy. Our ongoing policy is that if a guest damages a room or excessive cleaning is required, charges will apply (and this applies to more than just decorations). So, holiday decorations continue to be welcome as long as they don't cross this line.
    So you can decorate as much as you like, as long as you clean up after yourself.

Blog Entries

awesome. Thanks Mark!

Kristin

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

That's great news! We put up lights and a "Happy Halloween" garland -- nothing permanent, of course -- and it's nice to hear that this will be allowed to continue.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take a picture before and after the decorations as a record that there is no "damage" done to the room by the decorations.

That's a good idea.