Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Accommodation dilemma

Accommodation dilemma

My family and I have a trip booked for October at Pop Century for a preferred room. With the new discounts that were just released, we could get a cheaper room at All Star Music or All Star Sports (saving about $300), OR we could upgrade for almost the same price (we would actually save about $50) to CBR standard room or POR standard room.

I'm all about saving a few hundred bucks, but DH is concerned about the bus service to and from the All Star resorts. He says upgrade to POR since we haven't stayed there yet. We have been to CBR and loved it, but we had a preferred room and the bus stop was practically right outside our door. I know the buses at Port Orleans are shared and make multiple stops. Can you tell bus service is a big thing for us?

I hate to not take advantage of the new discounts either to get a cheaper value resort room or to upgrade to a moderate. So I need someone to tell me how the bus service is at POR, and the All Stars (Music and Sports). It may be helpful to know if standard rooms are automatically poor locations at POR. I know value resort standard rooms will be farthest away from the main building, and same with CBR.

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

POR is much, much nicer. I would totally go that route. The busses there share with POFQ. Note that POFQ usually get on first/get off first, but during really busy times, you might have your own bus. You can use the pool at POFQ or POR. The food court is one of, if not the, best food court for resorts IMHO. They also have a really nice gift shop (pretty big!) and a sit-down restaurant. If it were me, I'd go that route. Especially for the price.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Friend of Figment

And also the rooms at all the values are 260 sq ft total (this includes bathroom and everything) while the rooms at most of the moderates are 314 sq ft (with CBR at 340). Plus the pools and landscaping are much nicer at the moderates than the values.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I have not been at CBR, I would say that POR would be a great choice. Its nicely themed, the food offerings are very good, and the pools are very nice. While I am not knocking the Values, if you had the opportunity to do an upgrade, I think it is worth it.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

How do the busses work at POR? Are there multiple stops, or just one at the main building?

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

mickey'stheman

There are four bus stops inside POR. There is one bus stop POFQ. Sometimes depending on the volume you may or may not have a stop at POFQ. You do not have to ask for a preferred room at POR to be close to the main building or a bus stop. the two room classes at POR are standard or waterview. I never pay for waterview and have still had it on occasion. I would upgrade to POR. Just send a fax a couple of days before you leave directly to the resort and ask to stay in Oak Manor if you would like to try the mansion side. I am not sure what the close building number is on the Alligator Bayou side - we only stayed on that side once. I think it is 14 or 18 - can anyone else help?

I've read that the resorts don't accept the faxes before trips as they used to, but I'm not so sure of that info. I'd think a phone call to the resort a couple days out would suffice.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parktowne View Post
    Just send a fax a couple of days before you leave directly to the resort and ask to stay in Oak Manor if you would like to try the mansion side.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I've read that the resorts don't accept the faxes before trips as they used to, but I'm not so sure of that info. I'd think a phone call to the resort a couple days out would suffice.
    I believe Dan is right with one additional caveat... A phone call will most likely not suffice either. And I am speaking from direct experience with POR. They flat out told my wife that they do not take room requests via phone or fax.

In short, all requests should be made during the reservation process and added as notes within the reservation. If need be, you can add reservation notes later with your requests by calling Disney or your TA. Of course, they will do what they can to accommodate the requests, but are never guaranteed. We never had any issues with our requests being addressed via reservation notes and just reconfirming them when we check in.

As for the buses at POR, never really had any problems with the multiple stops. They were pretty much prompt and had space for us even though we were not the first stop.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Okay, I waited too long to call and POR is not available. No problem. We can still do CBR, which we stayed at last December and loved it. Of course we had a preferred room then, but with the multiple bus stops and the internal resort bus, I don't anticipate a standard room being a problem.

With the discount code, we are actually saving $70 now. We are probably driving this time (it's bad when driving the SUV is still cheaper than flying) and we can apply that to our gas budget.

As far as the room requests go, the lady I spoke with in Reservations did say I needed to make any requests through them and they will put a note of it in the reservation. Of course, they still won't guarantee it.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Just a note on room request, when we went in Feb/Mar we requested a room near the main building and buses at POR. Of course when we got there they could not even find a reseration and with a baby in tow at midnight, she just gave me a key and a room and told me to come back in the morning without even charging my credit card. Well the room was way over in the last mansion near POFQ, don't remember the number and it was way in the back. Well on the second night with the rain pouring down and the teenagers taking off and leaving me with the baby, a set of steps and stairs and a long walk, I finally reach the room after about a half hour soaking wet. I called the front desk and ask for a new room because I am legally blind. They moved me and all of my things right away and was very nice about it. We had many problems with the ressies or our request but maybe because I am not one to yell at the staff but every time I ever asked for a change or they realized I was legally blind or anything they helped out and fixed the problem. We got a room in building 14 for the last 8 nights and it was great and they also called almost every evening to make sure me and the baby made it back to the room okay, because they watched as my teenagers took off leaving me at the bus station with a 2 year old and a cane and many bags, snacks and whatever. So I could over look there mishaps because in the end the staff was nice. So if you request something but do not get it at first, take what they give and ask for a change if it is a problem and they will be more than happy to help you out.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014