Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: French Market

Oh this stinks!! I hope they don't change the lunch menu too much. The
    Po' boy was one of our " must haves."

"Without inspiration we would perish." Walt Disney
    " Never give up and good luck will find you." Falcor

2. # ADS

I called the Disney Dine number yesterday (Wednesday) and she said the French Market was open yesterday and they had a new menu but she didn't have it in front of her. I may stop by today after work, if I do, I'll take pictures if no one else has posted any yet.

Lori

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maui512 View Post
    I may stop by today after work, if I do, I'll take pictures if no one else has posted any yet.
    If you do, can you send them to me? I was in the park first thing this morning and didn't have time to wait for the restaurant to open so I could see the new menu w/prices. (I assumed the exterior menu still doesn't have prices, but I didn't go over there)

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Absolutely. I'll be happy to send them to you.

Lori

Brother, Sister, Friends yohomama212's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I took pics of the exterior menu with my phone camera, not sure of the quality. No prices out there. No more fried chicken and lots of people were coming by complaining about the changed menu in the few minutes I was there look. Seafood, seafood, seafood, roast beef, chicken salad, seafood. Place stank like fish... we won't be eating there again. Bummer.

Elizabeth

Everything's different.

Quote Originally Posted by yohomama212 View Post
    Place stank like fish...
    I wonder when folks go swimming in the ocean if fish think, "Place stank like people..."

Insert witty quote here

Er...there are only two seafood dishes the salmon and the jambalaya (contains shrimp and crawfish.) Unless of course you count the clam chowder. There's a very nice roast beef with cognac peppercorn au jus plus citrus cajun chicken and a baked four-cheese pasta gratin with cauliflower florets and pieces of mushroom blended in. The salmon comes with wild rice and an herbed fennel sauce. The cajun chicken salad with avocado, grilled bell pepper and roasted corn (topped with tarragon citrus vinegrette) is reportedly very good. Cheddar cornbread, mashed potatoes and vegetables come with most of the entrees. The (real) mashed potatoes have gruyere cheese mixed in and the vegetables are steamed with plenty of garlic.

On a side note the FM castmembers were somewhat sick of serving heart attacks on a plate (the fried chicken was loathed) and are quite excited about the new menu.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flour Girl View Post
    jambalaya (contains shrimp and crawfish.) ... There's a very nice roast beef with cognac peppercorn au jus plus citrus cajun chicken and a baked four-cheese pasta gratin with cauliflower florets and pieces of mushroom blended in. ... The cajun chicken salad with avocado, grilled bell pepper and roasted corn (topped with tarragon citrus vinegrette) is reportedly very good. Cheddar cornbread, mashed potatoes and vegetables come with most of the entrees.
    Mmmm, those sound good. Guess I'll have to try various things after all.

On a side note the FM castmembers were somewhat sick of serving heart attacks on a plate (the fried chicken was loathed) and are quite excited about the new menu.
    Do you know why they hated serving the fried chicken? Didn't seem that hard to do - at least the version with the fries - that's the only one I ordered. I'm not sure about the version with the beans.

I'm glad they're happy they have something new to serve, but if they're just excited because it's new and different (and maybe easier?) as opposed to because the food is better, that's not a good thing.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Can you get any of this food with out the nasty bell peppers or cauliflower in it?? The food always ends up tasting only of this.

are the po' boy and stew in the bread bowl gone too???

Is the seafood kept away from the other food? I don't want to end up in the medical area for seafood allergies!

I don't think the new menu is going to keep away the heart attcks with all that cheese!

The cornbread and mash potatos sound good. The only thing....

Bummer this was the one place the kids loved and would finish thier meal at! And we loved it too, our fav. place to eat at DL! I'm soo bummed out now.
    MAybe the bowl of bones will be back in time for HMH!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foolishmortal View Post

Bummer this was the one place the kids loved and would finish thier meal at! And we loved it too, our fav. place to eat at DL! I'm soo bummed out now.
    MAybe the bowl of bones will be back in time for HMH!
    this was my thought as well - that the "healthy" menu for the kids tends to be food that they really don't enjoy. At least this is what happened to my son at Cafe Orleans. The baked chicken was tasteless and actually greasy and the rice noodles (instead of pasta) was very odd for him. And he did not want a PB&J. Basics like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (not in some sauce), baked chicken breast or lean meat, and basic penne is what I think kids will eat on a healthy menu. Adding sauces and odd spices might not do it.

Also - it seems that if you're on vacation and you want to indulge in fried chicken you should be able to. I hope it's not done away with from the entire resort. If they want me to east healthier - then reduce the portion size for a single plate so I don't feel like I have to eat the whole darned thing - the chicken plate at Plaza Inn is 3 pieces with fixings!
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

With many thanks to Alan Joyce and Lori, here is the updated dinner menu for the French Market. I'll check on lunch prices tomorrow:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG404

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Insert witty quote here
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I'm glad they're happy they have something new to serve, but if they're just excited because it's new and different (and maybe easier?) as opposed to because the food is better, that's not a good thing.

There were a couple reasons. One, the fried chicken was wildly popular (as the cajun chicken salad is now) and so many orders piled up back to back that it was hard to turn it out fast enough. They often had 10-20 minute spells where the chicken would run out and that would result in a line full of angry guests who had no qualms about taking it out on the CM's. Two, the frying grease did not smell very good and had a habit of getting everywhere. It was in CM's hair, in the clothing, soaking into the skin and even clouding contacts. CM's claimed that the smell often stayed with them after they went home, emanating from pores like garlic. It was also the biggest source of complaints from guests because the frying time had to be 'just so' and sometimes pieces were brought back still frozen and raw in the center (that and the chicken dried out fast and didn't stay appetizing for all that long.)

The FM kid's menu now offers a plain grilled chicken breast on rice, roast beef on rice and (of course) mac and cheese. So far the FM has exceeded sales expectations with the new dishes and as a side benefit the new plate-up procedure (yes, it's now a little less stressful for CM's too, less hectic) makes the line move a little faster. CM's are also able to interact with guests in line more easily, whereas it was originally just "here's your food. next! here's your food. next! Here's your food. Next!"

Anyone with seafood allergergies need only inform the greeting CM that cross-contamination must be avoided and - if they don't mind a few extra minutes' wait - their meal will be brought to them straight from the ovens with freshly gloved hands to ensure that no seafood residue on it.

On a side note some guests liked the roast beef so much that they returned in the evening to get it for dinner, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    With many thanks to Alan Joyce and Lori, here is the updated dinner menu for the French Market. I'll check on lunch prices tomorrow:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG404

AVP
    Thanks for the info. I think the new menu has strong possibilities in the culinary world! I'm game on my next trip to the park.
    Last edited by kikid; 06-27-2008 at 09:02 AM.

I was at Disneyland briefly last night and walked over to see the outdoor menu. It's not as bad as I was fearing, you know, all salads and sandwiches from all the "healthy" talk. I looking forward to checking out the food and find out if one of them becomes my "regular". At Pizza Port, it's the Chicken Fusilli.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Will have to convince the family to try it.
    The kid food is totally out. MY kids will eat just about anything BUT plain chicken brests.

It's the nasty cauilflower in the food that I hate, no matter the spice that stuff just leaches into the rest of the food.*blah*Sad thing my cousins grow that stuff for a living! I grow tomatos, grapes ,almonds THANK GOD!

FG can you order that chicken salad without the arugala and frisee in it? (its bitter tasteing)or does that upset everyone , I don't want to get into trouble!

Poor Dh is upset already this was his fav. place! Is the stew in the bread bowl still there????

Thanks Flour girl, it's nice to know what is going on behind the counter! And for the seafood advise, that helps me a lot! Yes fried chicken does seem to "cling" to clothing! I still wear my grandma's full apron when cooking it at home!

looking forward to up dates and reviews on this!!!

...the fried chicken was wildly popular
    In keeping with the theme of getting rid of things "wildly popular" at Disneyland.
    “Quality is a great business plan.”
    ~John Lasseter

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foolishmortal View Post
    FG can you order that chicken salad without the arugala and frisee in it? (its bitter tasteing)or does that upset everyone , I don't want to get into trouble!
    Actually, I'd really like to know if the salad is pre-mixed and top-dressed on location, or if the entire thing is assembled there. The salad looks good, but I would need it w/o the avocado. Since you can't effectively remove avocado from anything, can a fresh salad be made without it?

Poor Dh is upset already this was his fav. place! Is the stew in the bread bowl still there????
    I posted the full menu - the stew bowl appears to be gone.

AVP

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

They appear to have three variations of mac and cheese on the menu.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Missy is one of the few kids ever to totally hate mac and cheese in any formula and always has, her fav was the Fried chicken but she does love good roast beef, I'm assuming we can order it sans the au ju, most places allow that. I doubt she'd care for the peppercorn flavoring. The fact that the french dip is gone makes it one of those only if we happened to be in that part of the park and discover we're starving type places to eat now.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar

I'm actually quite impressed with the new selection. There are more than a few things that I would be interested in trying.

However, I do see how people could have a problem with some of the new items - there seems to be a lot of "interesting" spices and flavor combinations that may be unfamiliar to people.

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    They appear to have three variations of mac and cheese on the menu.
    Well, at least that's authentic 'home' cooking in New Orleans. (I was shocked when I learned that Mac and Cheese is a very common side dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners!)
    Cathy

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    The fact that the french dip is gone makes it one of those only if we happened to be in that part of the park and discover we're starving type places to eat now.
    Have you had the french dip at Whitewater? The husband preferred it there because they had regular meat whereas he thought the french dip meat at French Market was too mushy - a friend mentioned that they served it with an ice cream scoop.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

We love the one at WW but often we just happen to be on that side of the park at lunch time (PotC, HM, Splash) so we would eat there at least once or twice a trip, now I'll have to be more 'aware' of timeframes so we can cross over to DCA and off to WW. I love their nachos as well!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Another DL restaurant that I enjoyed gets taken off my "good" list. I enjoyed the French Dip sandwich at FM. There's nothing on the new menu that I can/will eat. Thankfully, I really liked the new sandwiches at River Belle Terrace.

Change is always hard...and in this case when you like a particular meal and it is no longer offered, it is disappointing. But give the new menu a chance. There may be something on it that you will like...and in the future, when they change the menu again, you'll likely complain just as vociferously as you are right now!

Also, I would imagine the vast majority of guests only experience the various restaurants once or twice in their lifetimes. It is really only us "veterans" who even notice the change.

I've always enjoyed the French Market restaurant for its atmosphere. It is fun being outside in New Orleans Square, hearing the whistle of the train, seeing the Rivers of America and occasionally having Dixieland Jazz entertainment on the stage. For me, the food is actually secondary to the experience of going there.

I feel similarly at several eating establishments at Disneyland. It holds true for the Blue Bayou. It's all about the atmosphere. And it holds true for the other end of the spectrum like the Hungry Bear. What I like best is relaxing along side the river, seeing the watercraft float by and watching the entertaining ducks.

Whenever I start to complain about the price, quality or selection of food, I try to step back and remember where I'm eating it...at DISNEYLAND, of course!