Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: disney gift cards and ways to save money

disney gift cards and ways to save money

I seen alot of people post about gathering the gift cards for their trip. Exactly what does this mean? Are you buying them every month for a stock pile to spend on food and souveneers at DL? I am already to go back and am trying to find a way to cut the cost next year.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by rodeomom View Post
    I seen alot of people post about gathering the gift cards for their trip. Exactly what does this mean? Are you buying them every month for a stock pile to spend on food and souveneers at DL? I am already to go back and am trying to find a way to cut the cost next year.
    I use my Chase Disney Visa which earns dollars toward a gift card and use the gift card in the park. Also, when people ask what I'd like for my birthday, Christmas, etc. I mention Disney cards. Cards can be ordered online too when you have a few extra dollars.

Disney gift cards are like any gift card you can purchase for a store. They are worth the exact dollar value that you pay for them. They can be used anywhere at the resort for food, souvenirs, ticket purchases, etc. So you are not "saving" any cost by purchasing them.

However, you could think of them like a Christmas Club account. When you have some spare money, you could purchase one and set it aside for your future trip. That way, it's not with your other money to be spent on other items.

You can "earn" Disney dollars by using the Disney/Chase Visa card. For every $100 you spend, you earn a Disney dollar. Then after you reach a minimum of $20 you can convert it into a gift card. It is important to remember that there is a "time limit" on this kind of gift card, so don't convert your points until you plan to use them. A good thing is that when you open the account, there is usually a bonus gift card included. I've seen them range from $15 - $40. They send you this after your first transaction, and there is no time limit on it.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Yodeler View Post
    It is important to remember that there is a "time limit" on this kind of gift card, so don't convert your points until you plan to use them.
    So it's not a standard gift card, it's a special one? More like a plastic coupon?

Quote Originally Posted by HisKid1 View Post
    So it's not a standard gift card, it's a special one? More like a plastic coupon?
    Yes the points can expire. I can't recall all of the details, but I'm sure the info can be found at the Disney/Chase VISA website. I do remember that once issued to you, the card can be "recharged" with more of the dollars that you've earned.

There are other advantages with the Disney/Chase VISA credit card, like free stroller rentals and a character meet and greet which includes a photo each time you go! It's definitely worth looking into, if you go to DLR frequently. Just look for a good deal on the free sign-up gift card. Check the AP page on the Disneyland website. I believe that is where I saw the $40 gift card. I've seen applications which offer $25 and $15, so it's worth looking around before signing up.

I use my Chase Disney Card all year long for nearly every purchase I can, and the Disney dollars add up fast. For the trip that starts in just -- 5 days and a few hours -- I'll be taking along my rewards card that has $209 on it! That's only one year's worth of spending. That's for doing nothing other than using my card to buy groceries, gas, etc. I pay off my card each month, so I'm not paying any finance charges on it -- it's free money! A few years back, I saved up for two years and accumulated $450 dollars on my rewards card for our big trip to WDW! It's a great card, and I'm glad that Disney and Chase have just signed an extension to their agreement -- it means more Disney dollars for me in the future!

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Yodeler View Post
    Yes the points can expire. I can't recall all of the details
    Actually, the points themselves don't technically expire, but the card they're put on does have an expiration date. I don't know how long the cards are each good for - probably a year - but in any case, there's an expiration date on the card. Any points that are still on the card when the card expires goes away, so they warn you not to put all your points on your card, just when you know you're going to use them.

For instance, our last card expired in December. Starting in about September/October, we only transferred as many points onto the card as we knew we'd use in regular visits. In October/November, the husband ordered a new card. When we got the new card, we transferred some points to it, made sure it worked, and then transferred more points onto it. Meanwhile, we had made sure to use up all the points on our old card and not put any more points on, so we were done "using" the old card well before its expiration date.

This might be a bit more difficult to plan for out-of-town visitors if you have an expiration date on the card coming soon and you don't know how many points you're going to spend. If push comes to shove, and you have points on a card that you *have* to spend or the card is going to expire, taking the points with it, then buy Disney Dollars with the leftover. That way, you don't lose any points. But don't put a ton more on the card then you'd be likely to use.

ETA: Oh, and I think it's confusing to refer to the card with the points you get for using your Disney Visa a "gift card". Technically, it's a rewards card, because it's reward points you got for using their card, not a gift per se. I just think it makes a clearer distinction between the programs to make sure people aren't confusing that with just regular gift cards that you can buy for pretty much any establishment nowadays.
    Last edited by cstephens; 06-19-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added a clarification.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    ETA: Oh, and I think it's confusing to refer to the card with the points you get for using your Disney Visa a "gift card". Technically, it's a rewards card, because it's reward points you got for using their card, not a gift per se. I just think it makes a clearer distinction between the programs to make sure people aren't confusing that with just regular gift cards that you can buy for pretty much any establishment nowadays.
    Yes, that's a very good distinction! Thank you for clarifying!

We used our rewards card on our last trip for meals. It saved us $113 dollars.

Another benefit of the Disney Visa card is you save 10% off purchases over $50 at many stores in the park (including Emporium, Star Traders, and the candy store). You do need to mention you want the discount. Some CM's remember you get one, other's don't. Although I've had more remind me than the other way around. We love this benefit since we have Deluxe AP's and don't get a merchandise discount.

My next trip can't get here soon enough!

Oh don't forget the free meet and greet picture and free stroller rentals with the Disney Visa.

In case you don't want or are unable to get a new credit card, you could sign up for something like mypoints.com. You accrue points that can be converted to gift cards, air miles, etc. It's free to sign up. Here's how it works: if you make online purchases, choose a merchant from their list (which includes tons of businesses). You get points for every dollar you spend. They will also send you emails and all you have to do is click on the link in the email to earn a free 5 points for every one. You can take surveys for points or refer people. I like it because it's all stuff I buy anyway and I get points for it. The trick is to remember to go to the merchant through the mypoints website link or you don't get credit for the purchase! I have earned enough points in less than a year to get a $150 gift card or 7000 Mileage Plus miles (United). I haven't even made that many purchases, but I take advantage of things like signing up for a new ebay account and earning 500 points. Lancome gives good points--2000 for a $40 purchase and free shipping--but periodically gives 2500 for the same thing so I watch for that.

Drawbacks: you get a LOT of emails! You also have to give your name/email to places if you want to earn points from them (I do this because I don't make that many purchases). Disney is not on the list, but you can get gift cards for hotels and businesses that are in the area (for instance, Catal, ESPN Zone, Goofy's Kitchen, Steakhouse 55, Hook's Pointe, Mimi's, Napa Rose, Naples, Rainforest Cafe, Ralph Brennan's, Storyteller's Cafe, Tortilla Jo, Yamabuki restaurants; Hilton, Marriott hotels and I am not sure what else).

The website lists the merchants and also the rewards. Some, like the restaurants above, are under a generic thing like restaurants.com.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney

DizMeDD & DizMe

Just to clarify- I just pulled out my statement and the Disney Rewards points do expire- I have 50 set to expire in 2011. The rewards card you receive also expires and from our experience, it only lasts two years from the time you activate it.

For example, March 2007 we were in WDW. We transferred 300 points to our rewards card. The card we received in the mail is set to expire 12/31/2008. We used all those points and have since transferred more. However, the brochure with the card clearly states that whatever is left on that card on 12/31/2008 will disappear if we don't spend it.

Now, the points that are still in our account do not expire for a long, long time. Some are set to expire in 2011 but I imagine those are from our first year with the card back in 2005 (I think).

The Disney rewards visa is not the "best" card around as far as percent on your return. However, it's FREE and if you're going anyway, it's a great bonus.

Premium AP July 08-09 (24 days in the park from 6 hours away, woo hoo!), current Deluxe AP

Correction: the restaurants I listed above are not available by gift card! I just checked that out. They are listed on the restaurants.com website but apparently are not available for the gift card.

DizMeDD & DizMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
    Disney is not on the list, but you can get gift cards for hotels and businesses that are in the area (for instance, Catal, ESPN Zone, Goofy's Kitchen, Steakhouse 55, Hook's Pointe, Mimi's, Napa Rose, Naples, Rainforest Cafe, Ralph Brennan's, Storyteller's Cafe, Tortilla Jo, Yamabuki restaurants; Hilton, Marriott hotels and I am not sure what else).
    Disney STore are on the list to buy from (2 pts per dollar I think.) Rainforest is on the list, but I have never seen the other restaurants on the list. Last trip we had $100 off the Marriot and $25 gift card to Rainforest (mst trips I have $100 plus off rainforest, so we eat there every time.) I love Mypoints.com. Since I order most of our office supplies, I use mypoints to go through Office Max, Disney Store online gets a lot of my business too!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Malcoln, do you happen to know if you can use other links from the DisneyShopping.com website and still earn points on mypoints? For instance, if you click on the Travel tab, can you get points for ordering tickets to Disneyland or getting a room at DLH? I would guess not, but I can't really tell.

Today they had a special where you could get a $10 Starbucks gift card for 1250 points. You can easily get that many points in a day or two.

DizMeDD & DizMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tchatters View Post
    Just to clarify- I just pulled out my statement and the Disney Rewards points do expire- I have 50 set to expire in 2011.
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't know they have an actual expiration date, but it's good that the expiration date is way far in the future.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
    Malcoln, do you happen to know if you can use other links from the DisneyShopping.com website and still earn points on mypoints? For instance, if you click on the Travel tab, can you get points for ordering tickets to Disneyland or getting a room at DLH? I would guess not, but I can't really tell.
    I don't think you can. I know you can get points from Disneyoutlet.com, etc... But not sure about the others. Interesting idea!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by rodeomom View Post
    Rather than using cash or having 18,000 debits on my card during my stay, I like to use giftcards. We do not have a Disney store nearby, so I just put the budgeted money into savings, then either once a trip or every day like on our first trip, I buy a nice fat gift card for food and souvies. Every time I've done this, I come home with money on the giftcard(s) for use on a future trip (Disney GiftCards do not expire) or to use at disneyshopping dotcom.

Since others mentioned mypoints (which I do, but you can't get disney giftcards through them...although the Rainforest Cafe giftcard redemption option is nice!), I figure it's OK to mention sunshine rewards. I do that, and redeem for disney giftcards. Our upgrade to APs for this year were thanks to the giftcards I got by doing sunshinerewards.

For me it's (using gcards) a really good way to budget, though it's not perfect since not EVERY place uses them. The Lego store doesn't, but they do take Disney Dollars, and there are some outdoor vending carts that can't take cards, so I buy some disney dollars or just bring some cash, for the things I might want to buy from those places.

Just call me Grumpy!

Off-topic but somewhat-related to the original post--someone here mentioned some time ago about a way to take advantage of gift cards...namely, by purchasing DLR products/services using your AP discount on behalf of a friend/family member who would like to be able to purchase said product/service at the AP-discounted price but isn't an AP.