Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CBFETT & Family - Pre Trip Report August 2-9, 2008 - Contemporary

CBFETT & Family - Pre Trip Report August 2-9, 2008 - Contemporary

We started planning our trip last August 2007 on line. We really wanted to stay on property and in one of the big three at the MK. I have been going to WDW every two to three years since I was 10 and have always wanted to stay at the Contemporary. It just seemed so cool to me! Anyway started pricing them online and looked like the Polynesian would be the better price. So we called up and to our surprise they had a much better deal for us at the resort I wanted to begin with. So we booked it on our Disney VISA and began paying the interest free for six months on the card. And also began putting everything we could on the card to build points. We are looking at having about $750 on our card to use when we get to the parks. Anyway, here are the specifics:

Travel dates: August 2-9, 2008
    Travel method: Car
    Resort: Contemporary
    Accommodations: Tower with Magic Kingdom View
    Ages Represented in Group: Me (42), Mrs CBFETT (41), Daughter Fett (5), Twin Boys Fett (3)
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: I have the most going since I was 10, my wife has medium, we have gone 3 times in 8 years together, my daughter has been once and it will be the first trip for the boys.

Comments: 7 Day Park Hopper with Dining Plan
    Cast of characters: Additionally, my parents 68 yrs will be coming down for 4 days of the trip and staying at the Coronado Springs, which we have stayed before and recommended to them. We are driving down on August 1st halfway and staying at the parent condo in Amelia Island to break up the trip for the kids.

Here are my ADR's

8/2 - Rainforest Cafe - AK
    8/3 - 50 Primetime Cafe
    8/4 - Cinderella's Royal Table
    8/5 - Le Cellier (Just us and the parents, already have the babysitter booked)
    8/6 - Chef Mickey for Breakfast
    8/6 - Coral Reef for Dinner
    8/7 - ESPN Club
    8/8 - Tony's Town Square

I hope you guys like it. We are very pleased. I stumbled across this site about a year ago and it has been a godsend in planning the trip and making arrangements. So thank you to all that contribute and the moderators of this site! I thought it time I shared back. We can't wait!!! We have created our own countdown calendar where each member of the family gets to mark off another day each night after dinner. The kids get a kick out of it.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

2. # ADS

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're going to have a great time

Vicki
    CBR-May 2007, POFQ-Dec 2007, POFQ-Sept 2008, CSR & HRH-Sept 2009, AKV Kidani & RPR-May 2010

"If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane"-Jimmy Buffett

Our travel dates are 7/28/08-8/4/2008. We're also staying at the Contemporary, but in the Garden Wing. It would be so cool to see you there! Sounds like your trip will be great!

Emma

That would be something to see you there. It seems that The Contemporary is finally getting some love! I've wanted to stay there since I was 10yrs old and in the tower. Finally!!! It is getting near! We can't wait and so, so excited! We won't be hard to spot. Just look for a early 40's husband and wife chasing twin three year old boys and a five year old little girl and that will be us! Seriously, sounds like your trip will be a great one as well!

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Well, we are back and had a great time! Very magical for all! I will get back to some serious trip reporting this weekend as I catch up at work and rest. Let me say it just flew by while were there, but we did take the time to just enjoy every minute.

Last edited by CBFETT; 08-11-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Adding
    Chris

I can't wait to hear about your trip.

I have decided that even if you could stay a month, just going to the parks, it would never be enough time and it would just fly by.

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

We did the same thing for our trip this November. We got windows for the house and braces for dd with our Disney Visa! Too funny!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Yeah! Welcome home. We'll just sit here and wait for you to type....LOL!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Welcome back! I can't wait to read all about your adventures.

Vicki
    CBR-May 2007, POFQ-Dec 2007, POFQ-Sept 2008, CSR & HRH-Sept 2009, AKV Kidani & RPR-May 2010

OK, just to refresh. Here was our plans.

Travel dates: August 2-9, 2008
    Travel method: Car
    Resort: Contemporary
    Accommodations: Tower with Magic Kingdom View
    Ages Represented in Group: Me (42), Mrs CBFETT (41), Daughter Fett (5), Twin Boys Fett (3)
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: I have the most going since I was 10, my wife has medium, we have gone 3 times in 8 years together, my daughter has been once and it will be the first trip for the boys.

Comments: 7 Day Park Hopper with Dining Plan
    Cast of characters: Additionally, my parents 68 yrs will be coming down for 4 days of the trip and staying at the Coronado Springs, which we have stayed before and recommended to them. We are driving down on August 1st halfway and staying at the parent condo in Amelia Island to break up the trip for the kids.

DAY 1 - August 2

Well, we woke up on Saturday in Amelia Island to our Daughter complaining her ear hurt. Luckily, we knew the Pediatrician down there and got her in to see him about 9:30am. Turns out she has an ear infection. So after getting her antibiotics we got on the road to Disney about 11am. A little later than expected. Got to the Contemporary at 2:30pm and our room was ready. There was construction in the lobby/4th floor concourse, but it wasn't too bad and we loved the look of the Resort. Got to our room and the recent remolding that was completed was awesome! The room was gorgeous! Very modern looking with a hint of Asian styling. We were on the 6th floor Tower overlooking the Magic Kingdom. Beautiful view! Also, we had a computer in our room with the Disney Consierge Service. This allows you to live chat with a cast member, check your itineraries, book park tickets, book restaurant reservations (We already had all of our ADR's beforehand), view all of your photopass photo's each day, and full internet access. It was a god send to have and was exclusive to the resort. After unpacking (with the kids watching Disney cartoons on the flatscreen TV) we decided a dip in the pool was needed. And yes, the Doctor said my daughter could swim as the ear infection was too deep and it would hurt her. The kids loved the pool! Especially the Slide! They must have gone down it 10 times each.

After the pool, we headed back up to the room to get ready for Dinner at the Rain forest Cafe outside AK. Went down to catch the Monorail and asked if we could sit up front. BINGO! First ride up front. And to make it even better it was the yellow stripe monorail, one of our twin boys (which is the train freak) and his favorite color. So took advantage and rode it all the way back around back to the resort. Got off caught another one and headed to dinner. The kids each received a card which said they were monorail drivers.

Reached the restaurant a couple of minutes past our ADR, but were seated immeadiately. However, as soon as we sat down, all of the Anamotronic animals started moving and making lots of noise. They do this about every 20 minutes by our count. We let's just say that scared on of my boys. The train freak. He cried really hard and we were doing everything we could. My wife even took him to the rest room where there were two other mothers with crying children scared of the same thing. So take this into consideration with small children! Then one of the managers came by and asked if everything was alright. We told her that the animals scared him and she brought us out some fried cheese sticks that we ordered on the fly. This helped calm him down. And I gave him my sunglasses and told him the Monkey's could see him with these magic glasses. And he was fine after that. My daughter and his twin brother thought the animals were great. But each child is different. So we had dinner. Typical franchise restaurant food, but I have always liked it when eating there before. Fast service and a full bar. Margaritas! Try the BBQ Chicken wrap. Mine was great. Good BBQ sauce, chicken was moist, 4 cheese blend, cilantro and chipotle mayo with kettle chips.

Headed back to the resort as the kids were tired. Watched Wishes from our balcony which was super! I had my Ipod hooked to the Ipod clock in the room, so I played my disney classics playlist while the fireworks were going on. That ended up being a nice touch. Then it was time for the Sea Pagent on Bay lake. The kids really dug the lights and sounds. Time for bed as tomorrow it was park time!!! First I checked my email and Fantasy Baseball team on the computer. I also learned that long time broadcaster for the Atlanta Braves Skip Carey died. A little sad as I grew up listening to him and he was Atlanta Braves baseball and one of the better announcers of all time IMO. Anyway, AK in morning!!! Can't wait.

Chris

What a wonderful location! I haven't ever stayed at the Contemporary, but Wishes every night? I'm sold!

Was Skip Carey related to Harry Carey from the Cubs (grew up in Chicago-area)?

Looking forward to more.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdelaney_98 View Post
    What a wonderful location! I haven't ever stayed at the Contemporary, but Wishes every night? I'm sold!

Was Skip Carey related to Harry Carey from the Cubs (grew up in Chicago-area)?

Looking forward to more.....
    It was a great location! I would highly recommend. Just make sure to get a Tower room with MK view! YOu won't be disappointed. And yes, Skip Carey was Harry's son. Also, since your from Chicago, Skip's son Chip Carey called games for the Cubs, then Braves and now TBS national games. Skip has another son Josh, who is also calling games but just starting his career.
    Chris

Wow, the Contemporary sounds awesome, the computer with internet access sold me, we might have to consider it for our next trip.

Skip Carey will be sorely missed by all of us Braves fans, I also grew up listening to him & it won't be the same without him.

Vicki

Lost in the Viridian Forest...

Wow! Great to hear your son is a train freak, I was when I was smaller! And its great that you got to go in the cab of the monorail, that's a magical experience everytime.

Cant wait to read the rest of the report!

Stephen Valente

Disney Again! Polynesian '09!
    hoping to go back soon...

Yeah, he is a huge train freak! He could have ridden the Monorail and WDW Railroad all day long the whole trip and been happy. In fact, during the trip he knew exactly which Monorails we had rode and which ones we had left. We asked a cast member and she told us there were 12 different colored monorail trains. And by god he made sure we rode each one. We tried to explain to him that we couldn't control the colors, but that didn't seem to matter to him. Day 2 coming tomorrow.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CBFETT View Post
    It was a great location! I would highly recommend. Just make sure to get a Tower room with MK view! YOu won't be disappointed. And yes, Skip Carey was Harry's son. Also, since your from Chicago, Skip's son Chip Carey called games for the Cubs, then Braves and now TBS national games. Skip has another son Josh, who is also calling games but just starting his career.

I remember Chip Carey. Wow--Chip and Skip. THAT'S a set of names!!

Day 2 - August 3rd

Ok, got up knowing my parents were flying in and would be there about 3pm checking into Coronado Springs. Got a quick breakfast at Tempo grab and go and headed for AK. Got there and the kids got pictures taken with Chip & Dale and Pocahontas. Priceless, their eyes light up like Xmas trees when they met them. Heading in after that and went straight for Kilimanjaro Safaris. The animals were out in full force. Saw the new baby Giraffe and all the animals we could think of. The kids loved it. Made a B-Line to Expedition Everest after that and the line was short so we decided on the Child switch. My wife rode first and the rest of us went for some much needed water and shade. August is extremely hot. Be warned. We are from Atlanta, but you never get used to the heat. Before I got on my daughter started to cry. She wanted to ride. She was tall enough but never rode a coaster before. Much less Everest. We told her that we would try Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain first and if she liked it, we would come back and she would ride with me. So while I rode they got Mickey Ice Cream bars. Yummy! Everest is just a blast! They got fast passes for Kali River Rapids and we hit that next and got soaked! But a much needed soaking! Felt great!

After that we headed for DinoLand and hit TriceraTop Spin which everyone dug. Then it was time. Dinosaur!!! Decided on the Child Swap. We new the twins wouldn't like it at their age. Too scary. Well before the trip we showed them You Tube videos of the ride. My daughter was stoked to go on. I was still apprehensive as I remeber how loud, dark, intense it was. So my wife took her and asked her multiple times if she was sure while in line. She said yes. Sitting with the twins, there was only two ways this was going to play out. She loved it completely or would be crying and scared. There would be no middle ground. Unfortunately, it was the latter. In my wife's arms crying. My wife said she was fine until right after that one Dino ate the other, which is when the ride jumps into overdrive. She spent the rest of the ride covering my daughters ears and eyes. Lesson learned! Those warnings are there for a reason. No matter what your child says and your heart says (wanting them to ride) be cautious. Really know you child.

It was about 12:30pm and time for lunch. Being from the south, kind of a food snob (Cooking is a hobby) and taking the recommendatins here headed to Flame Tree Barbecue for some BBQ! Good eats in my opinion. After that walked through Pangani Forest Exploration Trail to check out the animals. Kids loved it and all the animals were very active. Another tip when going with small kids, Listen. Know when they are done. They aren't used to the heat, lines or all the walking. We heard the whine and it was time. Back to the hotel for a nap. During the nap and watching the Brett Favre saga (Bot tired of that) parents called and said they were checked in. We told them to rest and come to our hotel in time to get to dinner. We headed for the pool after the woke and they had a blast. More slide. More slide, more slide. But refreshing.

Cleaned up, parents came in and time for dinner. 50's Prime Time Cafe!!! Benn looking forward to this one. Our ADR was a 7pm and we headed out at 6:30pm. Caution, due to the economy and price of gas, they have reduced the number of buses. Take more time right now getting places. We arrived 10 minutes late, but after a trip to the bar, were seated promptly. I gotta tell you, this placed was AWESOME! The theming was perfect. My dad (68) said it brought him back to his childhood. You were literally transported back to the 50's! And that was the Dinsey Magic at its best. Our waitress was very interactive and played the part to the hilt. My kids were told/scolded to get their elbows off the table, keep their napkin in their lap and I was told to finish my veggies. The kids were given coloring sheets and when they were done, she got some tape and put them up on the walls behind our table and they felt so special. Now let's talk food. WhoHoo! My dad and I got the Fried Chicken. Normally comes with a breast, thigh and drumstick. You can ask for all white meat and get two breasts for no extra charge. And we did. OK, I'm from the south, and a little bit partial to fried chicken. I even had a home assistant growing up that still works for my mom and has been part of our family for 30 years. Well she makes the best Fried Chicken I have ever put in my mouth and been asking for the recipe for years. I could give Truet Cathy a run for his money. My wife tells me I look like a caveman everytime she makes it the way I eat it. It's that good. OK back to 50's Prime Time Cafe. That Fried Chicken was out of this world! Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Juices just dripping! Perfect seasoning. Needless to say nothing left. The mashed potatoes well excellent too. Wife had the suffed pepper with Ratatoullie and was very tasty! When we got out Fantasmic was standing room only and the kids and my parents were tired. Looked through a couple of shops and let them look at the theming and they thought it was amazing. Remember, my parents hadn't been to Disney since they only had the MK and E-Tickets. Went back to the Contemporary to watch Wishes the Sea Padget and off to bead. Next day MK!
    Chris

Embarrasingly, I cried, covered my ears and closed my eyes on Dinosaur.....at 30!! Well, j/k about the crying, but the rest is real! I still go on it with everyone; just close my eyes throughout....

I hear you with the buses. Me and brother tried to get from Epcot to DTD last month, and it took us over an hour! We had to go to WL and transfer to a DTD bus. But, for whatever reason, the bus went all the way to the Grand Floridian before we came to Downtown Disney! And first we waited at Epcot for a saratoga springs bus to walk to DTD, and 3 WL buses came before a Saratoga Springs.

Good to hear you rode all the monorails! I tried to do the same thing, but for some reason, purple just never seemed to be in a convenient position for me. O well

Cant wait to read more!

Stephen Valente

When we went to DTD, the people waiting for our bus back to the Contemporarytold us they were waiting 1 hr and 10 minutes. Yikes! Day 3 coming either later today or tomorrow. Just depends.

And I just think we got lucky on the monorails. It came down to the last day and 2nd to last ride. Being in the Contemporary helped because we could see from our balcony which colors were up and on which track each day.

Chris

See, I get to the point that if I sit there for a REALLY long time like that, I get mad at wasting my time and thus MORE money, so I get a cab. I know, a bit expenditure, but there were 2 instances in the last trip where no busses came FOREVER (at Epcot, though) and I was hot, tired, and had waited 40 minutes. It was the best $12 I've ever spent.

Bus service seems to have slipped over the last 2 trips. I don't have a car for my upcoming trip either, and I have a few very late nights resort hopping for some parties and some late-night meets in the EMH parks, so I plan to take cabs.

My wife and I both noticed and heard the main thing people were complaining about was the bus service. Even my parents staying at Coronado Springs. They had longs waits and my dad decided next time he was staying at The Grand Floridian.

Chris

Have they decreased busses due to the cost of fuel?? I wouldn't be surprised.

I would'nt be surprised if they didnt either. There seems to be less and less buses every trip. And now this year they were so lacking, we did everything to try to avoid them.

Stephen Valente

Thumbs up

FLAME TREE & 50S PRIME TIME CAFE CAN NOT BE BEAT!JUST AN OPINION BUT BUS SERVICE HAS BEEN SLIPPING FOR YEARS