Star Wars Half Marathon Coming to Disneyland Resort in January 2015
by, 05-27-2014 at 09:32 AM (5421 Views)
runDisney has finally announced the long-rumored Star Wars-themed race weekend, and it will take place at the Disneyland Resort from January 15-18, 2015. This weekend was previously occupied by the Tinker Bell Half Marathon, which was moved to May to coincide with Mother's Day weekend.
The weekend's events will include a 5K on Friday morning, a 10K on Saturday, and a half marathon on Sunday. There will also be kids' races on Saturday. Participants who choose to do the Rebel Challenge will get a third medal for completing the 10K and the half marathon on consecutive days. Star Wars as well as traditional Disney characters will be stationed along the course to pose for photos.
In addition to the usual race expo, there is a separate event for those who want even more Star Wars character interaction. The Wookiee Welcome Party will take place in Tomorrowland on Thursday night from 9:30-11:30 p.m. The event features Star Wars characters as well as Disney characters in Star Wars garb posing for photos, a dessert buffet, other entertainment, and select Tomorrowland attractions for guests to enjoy.
The presenting sponsor is Sierra Nevada Corporation, which is well known in the aerospace community for the development of its Dream Chaser spacecraft. "With the passion and creativity of runDisney and Lucasfilm, this race weekend is going to be out of this world, which makes it a natural fit for Sierra Nevada Corporation because we are in a race of our own to take humans into space with our Dream Chaser spacecraft program," said Sierra Nevada Corporation president and chairman Eren Ozmen.
No details have been released regarding pricing or course layouts yet.
Some other details:
- Participants will need to pick up their own packet and bib from the expo; there will not be accommodations for having another person pick it up.
- Proof of time is required for anyone stating a finish time for the half marathon that is less than 3:15.
- Proof of time must be submitted by October 10, 2014. No corral changes will be allowed after that time.
- Only races after January 1, 2013 may be used for proof of time.
- Proceeds from the race will benefit the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana, California.
Registration opens on June 10, so mark your calendar now. If you have an annual pass or are a DVC member, be sure to take advantage of early registration, which opens at 9 a.m. PST on June 4. It's sure to fill up faster than anything has before.