PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Kids meet a Mouse-May 10-19, 2008 - Marriott Grande Vista

hmsharpe
04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Here goes my first pre-trip report ever, can't wait to actually go already!

Travel dates:May 10-19, 2008

Travel method: United Airlines (Bit of a drive from western Canada :))

Resort: Off-site-Marriott Grande Vista, got a great deal through friends

Accommodations: 2 bedroom villa with a kitchen, 2 bathrooms

Ages Represented in Group: 2-33

Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Jan '08 DL, May '05 WDW (dd was 5 months old, DS not yet thought of), Jan '03 DL, June '98 DL, couple of childhood trips

Comments: This is a celebration trip for us, DH just graduated and we are going away as a family to celebrate him being done. He is going to spend two days at a golf school at our resort as his gift, so lucky me i have the two rugrats on my own for two days at the parks, or maybe the pool depending on how adventurous I am! We book our flights and Disney passes with points, rented our car with points, so have been able to do it on the cheap so far.

Cast of characters: DH: 33, pretends to be reluctant about all things Disney but secretly loves going but is finding with age motion sickness has crept up on him! Works full-time AND just finsihed his MBA last week-this is the reason we are going. DD: 4 1/2: hard core princess, only wears dresses, takes dance class, told us she would not be returning from DL when we went b/c she would stay to live with the other princesses-this is just her nature we have never been encouraging of the whole girly girl thing, but she just IS. DS: almost 3 (but still free :))-all boy, tough, dirty, likes cars and trucks and hockey. He was not sure of the characters in January, was all about the rides-"I shooting!" on Buzz Lightyear.

Itinerary: here is what is planned so far, but it is a work in progress and I would love nothing more than to get hundreds of suggestions hacking it apart to make it better!

11th-we have ADR at Crystal Palace this day, our first day, BUT it is EMH and we can't get in for that, so, should I try to change this? it is a Sunday and all my other days I tried to avoid EMH. If we stick with this, we will get there for rope drop and beetle to Dumbo, hugely popular in our house, and go from there, avoiding dark rides like Snow White-our kids prefer the spinny throw up rides (for DH) to the ones that involve dark, astro orbitors, tea cups, all big hits, Peter Pan, not so much.
12th-spend the day getting to know the fish at SW
13th-likely a waterpark assuming the weather permits
14th-we have ADR at Chef Mickey's for 730 and was thinking of hitting epcot afterwards-thoughts?
15th-AK-heading to the safari first
16th-this is my potentially fav. day. have a relaxing day b/c we are going to party it up that evening at the Princess and Pirate Party, I think my DD is going to love that and the whole treasure hunt thing will be a huge hit with DS
17th-recover from late night by the pool, play the afternoon by ear (DH is golfing)
18th-HS for shows and do some DTD shopping
19th-heading home :crying:

So, this is initial plan, haven't plotted out what rides first yet (but will try to this week) other than the much coveted Dumbo. Advice and input would be great!

hmsharpe
04-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Okay, so newbie to trip reporting error-didn't include MYSELF in the cast-duh. So, trip planner extrodinaire, holder of the tix, and likely the biggest fan in this house of not only Disney but holiday planning-nothing better than sitting her while there is two feet of snow outside at the end of April (not kidding) and planning being somewhere else! and I also booked Princess Storybook Dinner for May 17 and Liberty Tree for the 16th-couldn't help myself!

relaaxedwheniamthere
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
:fez: go FLYERS my only advice is try not to do everything in one day . staying off property try not to go to parks that offer early morning emh . as a fl res it may be warm to hot during your stay so keep that in mind . BUT MOST OF ALL ENJOY.LIBERTY TREE GREAT . EPCOT MY FAV SO YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THAT

hmsharpe
04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Good Advice thanks-I was wondering if Liberty Tree is good or if my little Canucks will 'get it'. We are still in mourning here in Calgary-made it to game 7 and now (sigh) done.

shordiebecka
04-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Your trip sounds great!!!! I'm excited for you:D. Liberty Tree Tavern is great, but I don't know if your little ones will get it..but they will love the food!!! Another good place in the MK is tony's town square..mediocre food but its themed around lady and the tramp, one of my favorites!! Make sure you try to get DD to "wake up tinkerbelle"!!!!!!

hmsharpe
04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
i was just reading about this Tinkerbell thing-would love to do it if we get there early enough, my daughter would be in awe-she has taken to fairies of late-building fairies o the disney website. do you have to be there super early?

shordiebecka
04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I would be there as early as possible. Whoever is the first one to the shop gets to do it, from what I understand. I've never done it though, I have no little ones!

hmsharpe
04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Shordiebecka-you leave in days!! you must be super excited. Thanks, can you tell me where the shop is? i would love for my daughter to try, but won't tell her-massive tantrum could ensue if she wasn't the chosen one!

TinaMouse
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Looking forward to "the rest of the story." BTW, my DH worked in Calgary/Banff area a few years ago and I don't think there's anywhere in the world more beautiful or friendly than Western Canada!

hmsharpe
04-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks Tdelaney, we live in Calgary and try to get to Banff as often as we can, we are really fortunate to be so close to the mountains, but are looking forward to some Florida sunshine!

srkkdeb
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
This may be a bit off topic....but my daughter is a part of a group of young dancers (9yrs-14yrs) who will be in DW at the same time as you and staying at the Marriott Grande Vista. We arrive May 15, with some departing on the 20th and we will leave on the 25th (daughter b-day is on the 23rd so we must stay!!) Anyways, the dancers will be performing in the Magic Kingdom on Saturday, May 17th (time not yet confirmed) in Tomorrowland at the Galaxy theatre! I noticed your daughter likes dancing...so look for the Absolute Dance jackets and a bunch of very excited dancers (and parents, of course!!)
Have fun on your trip - we are so looking forward to the Florida sunshine, too!

hmsharpe
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi SRkkdeb-who knows, maybe we will cross paths, same resort, and all. My DH is in golf school on that day, so i will have the kids on my own-send a note when you know what time the kids are dancing if you find out ahead of time. I bet my DD would love that, she is 4 and has done two years of ballet-I never even tried it as a kid!

clint999
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Okay, so newbie to trip reporting error-didn't include MYSELF in the cast-duh. So, trip planner extrodinaire, holder of the tix, and likely the biggest fan in this house of not only Disney but holiday planning-nothing better than sitting her while there is two feet of snow outside at the end of April (not kidding) and planning being somewhere else! and I also booked Princess Storybook Dinner for May 17 and Liberty Tree for the 16th-couldn't help myself!

srkkdeb
05-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Hi there...the dancers will be on the Tomorrowland Galaxy Theatre stage @ 7:45 pm.....ugh, kinda late but like anyone is going to want to go to bed early!!
They will also be practicing at the Marriott on the Friday, the 16th from 8-9am in full costume (without makeup). They are scheduled to practice in the aerobic/games room....not sure if there are windows, but maybe this is a better time to catch a peek.
Have a great trip....3 more sleeps....I better think about packing...empty bags, so we can shop!!!!