PDA

View Full Version : Becky & Company: May 1-May 7, 2008 - All Star Sports

shordiebecka
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to this board. I tried another board (I won't name it), and no one ever answered my questions or replied to me. I already like this community much better..don't prove me wrong!!!!

Here's my Details:

Who:
Me (Becky), age 22. Disney Lover. Been to Disney 9 times, 2 of them cruises. Stayed at Carribean Beach, PoR twice, AKL Twice, ASM Twice, Once off Property and Once at Boardwalk. My favorite is PoR and the Boardwalk! This time- It's All Star Sports!!!

Justin ( My boyfriend), age 21. Been together 2 years. He's not a huge Disney fan, but loves the idea of fast rides, warm weather, and pleasure Island.

My Parents (age 50 and 51). Been to Disney more than me. They gave me the world growing up, but all I wanted was Disney!!!:D

Sasha (age 23). Friends with me since age 11. Also obsessed with Disney Planning.

Amanda (age 22). Friends with me since age 5 (yep, thats 17 years). Conquering her fear of rollercoasters on this trip (hopefully!)

Andrew (Age 21): My friend for 2 years, my boyfriend's friend for much longer. Also not a huge Disney Fan, but is excited about Pleasure Island and Sampling beer at Epcot.

John (Age 21): See above. Except taller and skinnier and much more of a talker.

That's right people. I'm planning a trip for 8, ages 21-52. My parents are staying at PoR (lucky them), the rest of us are at AS Sports.

Method of Travel:
Airplane (Delta) from Hartford, CT
DME

We got a Disney Package- Magic Your Way park hopper ticket, 7 days, 6 nights with dining.

Up next...my ADR's and plans. I need opinions on these and I have tons of questions!!!!:p

shordiebecka
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Anyways, I guess I'll go into my plan and ADR's. It was hard to get ADR for groups of 6 or 8!!! Here's our plans and ADR's day by day.

Day 0 (4/30)- I call this day Zero because we aren't actually leaving for Disney that day. We're going to stay at a hotel in Hartford for the night so we don't have to get up at 4 AM to catch or plane. We're leaving at 6:00 for the hotel, yayyyy!!!

Day 1, Thursday, (5/1)- Airplane leaves at 7:45 AM, arrives in Orlando at 10:28 AM. Take Disney's Magical Express to All Star Sports. After we get to All Star Sports, we hope our room will be ready, but probably not. We're going to explore the resort, eat in the food court, and hang around until around 3. Then we're doing Downtown Disney for Dinner- Reservations for House of Blues. Here's where I need some advice. I really want to experience Wishes in MK, but we're spending most of our evenings in Epcot and Downtown Disney. The first night is the only night where I could possibly get to MK. Here is my idea: Make an early reservation for HoB (around 5:30), then hop on the ferry to PoR, catch a bus to MK and enjoy the fireworks the first night. Is that too much? Could I even make it on time? I need advice Please!!!!
Questions for Day 1: Anyone have any experience with all star sports and DME? Do the All Star Resorts typically have their Own DME Bus?

Day 2, Friday, (5/2): Breakfast at MK (not sure where yet, any suggestions?). Spending the day at MK, ALR at Tony's Town Square. Take the Monorail to Epcot for ADR at Japan for 8:45. Wandering through the Countries until the crowd thins out.

Day 3, Saturday (5/3): Boardwalk for Breakfast. We're going to take the bus to mgm, then take the boat to the boardwalk or walk. Then we're going to enter through the international gateway to the countries at Epcot. Spend the day at Epcot, with a 12:30 ALR for Germany. Question- Are buffets considered counter service meals or sit down meals?. Maybe heading back in the early evening for some fun at the resort pool. Or AK. Anyone been to AK for the afternoon? Typically more or less crowded? ADR at Planet Hollywood at 10:15 P.M (we're late eaters) .

Day 4, Sunday (4/4): Blizzard Beach During the day. Free Afternoon for whatever we feel. Probably going back to MK for the afternoon, or resting. ADR at Raglan's Road for 11:00 PM That'll be an interesting one, thats for sure. Question: Anyone eaten at Raglan's Road? Thoughts, comments are appreciated!!!

Day 5, Monday (4/5): MGM Day! ALR at Sci Fi Dine Inn 11:20, ADR for Hollywood and Vine at 7:20, Fantasmic at 10:30. Question- How early should we arrive for the late seating?? Do we still need to arrive real far in advance, or are there less people? Let me know

Day 6, Tuesday, (4/6): Free Morning for wherever our little hearts want to go. Possibly the board walk for lunch, then into MGM or Epcot ADR for Rose and Crown Pub at 8:00 for Fireworks!!!! Anyone done this for the fireworks? how was the view?

Day 7, Wednesday (4/7): Plane leaves at 6:45 PM, so we have a good chunk of the day. Probably back to MK, or somewhere yummy for lunch we didn't get to do Then we'll be gone from Disney world until who knows when.

Those are the plans. Any feedback would be great please!!! Help a Newbie out!!!!

shordiebecka
04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Another question I forgot- Is it possible to "upgrade" to a moderate resort this close to my trip??? I would love to upgrade to PoR or CB....

CupoTea
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I can answer a few of your questions as we were there in May07.
Question- Are buffets considered counter service meals or sit down meals?.
We are at Hollywood and Vine as well as the Crystal Palace buffets and they were considered sit down meals. I believe they all are at WDW.
Anyone been to AK for the afternoon? Typically more or less crowded?
We were at AK for opening until around 4 pm. It was much more crowded in the afternoon than in the morning. We had walk ons to all the rides until around 1000 then we did fastpasses. The afternoon was crowded and it was hard to move around the park.
Question- How early should we arrive for the late seating?? Do we still need to arrive real far in advance, or are there less people? Let me know
We arrived at the gas station (waiting area last year) about 15 minutes before they told us they would let us in. Once we got in, we got great seats but had almost a 45 minute wait until the show started but we had been to two parks that day and needed the downtime.
Hope that helps. Have a great time! I have to wait until 2009 for my next trip. :crying:

heatherpksu
04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
How awesome!! There are three websites that I have relied on heavily for planning my trip. This one, mousesavers.com and allears.net On allears.net they have menus reviews and sometimes pictures of all of the restaurants.

http://allearsnet.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=138&cat=40 <- reviews for Raglan's Road.

Hope this helps, and you aren't too far out either!!

bighank66
04-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey there and welcome.
I can't answer any of your questions--but I can tell you that when I went in january, I did LOTS of research and this board was the most receptive...
The most helpful...
And the easiest to get around.
I don't always post, but I think I read everything review put on here to help me.
These are some fine and very knowledgeable folks--I hope you find what you are looking for!!

Henry

bochnikm
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Your question:
Make an early reservation for HoB (around 5:30), then hop on the ferry to PoR, catch a bus to MK and enjoy the fireworks the first night. Is that too much? Could I even make it on time? I need advice Please!!!!

The ferry to PoR is great ( we stayed at PoR last year on our Disneymoon) but it is not fast and the capacity is limited! If you leave downtown late I would catch a bus to another resort towards MK and then transfer to a Bus to MK Or take a bus from downtown to a monorail resort and then find the monorail.

The extra advantage is that you can hop on almost any bus that doesn't have a wait. But avoid buses to Pop Century and Animal Kingdom Lodge since they are far away from Downtown and MK!

If I looked up the info correct - Wishes are at 10 AM - so you should have plenty of time even if you decide to take the boat route BUT leave downtown early. (by 8 PM to be safe)

jillybeaner21
04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I can definately answer some of your questions:

Breakfast in the MK - If you just want something small. The Main Street Bakery is always a favorite of my family. If you want to do a buffet. The Crystal Palace is my FAVORITE. The most amazing french toast!!!

Raglan Road - Food is AMAZING. I forgot the name of it, but the Sausage appetizer was DELISH!!

Rose & Crown Pub for Illuminations - We've done this quite a few times. Make sure to request an outside table. If you can get one of those coveted tables, the view is fantastic! I would call ahead of time and then also mention it again when you check in.

Enjoy your trip! I'll be there 2 weeks after you so I can't wait to hear all about the rest of your trip!!

shordiebecka
04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Thank you for everyone responding! I think I will play the first night by ear, and attempt to get to MK for wishes. If I don't make it, i'll just rearrange my WHOLE trip for it, lol.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Cast Member trying to convince them to upgrade me to CB resort for a good price. It would cost 450$ to upgrade, which I guess is an ok rate, but I can't afford it. Anyone ever had any luck upgrading with a real good rate?

I've made many requests for my Rooms at all star sports. My parents are staying at PoR, while the rest of us are at AS Sports. I've requested connecting rooms ( I specified the kind with the door in between), Surfs Up or Touchdown buildings, two doubles and not one king, and a friend has diabetes so we should get a fridge for free. Do you think requesting too much will make me more likely to get it? The idea is that between the 6 of us, if we get rooms with the door in the middle, then we will prop the doors open throughout the day, so there will be 3 and 3 in the two rooms, rather than how we booked the rooms, which was 4 in one room and 2 in the other (my parent's paid for my boyfriend & I, so it was easier for us to book our own room). Did that make any sense to anyone? Because my 4 friends will have the key to one room, and my boyfriend and I the key to another room. So, will mousekeeping leave the doors open for us if we find a way to prop them? Any thoughts? :confused:

dsmolij
04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I have stayed at all star movies and know pretty much the room set ups. All Star Music had the room renovations done last year, they have what are called Family suites, they basically converted two rooms into one, with 2 baths and the 2 beds in eeach room, which already connects and sleeps 6. You may want to call back and check with them on that aspect of it. then you won't have to prop the doors open either. let me know how you make out with that one.

shordiebecka
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
we tried for the family suites but they were all booked already :mad:. So we figured we would try this method and see how it worked, hopefully it will work.

shordiebecka
04-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Okay. House of Blues is closed the night I wanted it!!!! So the plan is to visit there for lunch one day (anyone know if they are open for lunch?). Instead, Day 1 will be MK and Wishes (no more transportation problem for wishes!), and then I was thinking to head to the ESPN club on the boardwalk for a (very) late dinner. Anyone been there? What do you think of it? Does it get crowded? Imput appreciated :)

TinaMouse
04-20-2008, 06:43 PM
OK--More friendly info for you!!! (So glad you found us!! We're awesome, aren't we?? Modest too! ;))

Raglan Road is AWESOME. You will love the food. On most nights, there's live music after 9, I think. It is a perfect spot for your group.

House of Blues has a Sunday Gospel Brunch that it supposed to be great. They do offer lunch according to allearsnet.com.

DH went in for a couple of beers in the evening. He went around 7 or 8. He said it was crowded. Probably during football season, so it was crowded for that. If there's a big baseball game, it might have a fair number of people. However, I think this is another good spot for the people in your group. Age is right. You could go to the microbrewery that's on the Boardwalk too. It's good for a brew and a burger, and they have outside seating which is lovely on the boardwalk if it is a nice night. It certainly wouldn't be as loud!

Oh, your trip is so close! Have a great time!

shordiebecka
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I AM SO EXCITED ONLY 10 DAYS TILL I LEAVE!!! I am trying to stay busy. I'm planning alot, packing...any other last minutes tips?

I wanted to check out the brewery on the boardwalk. it's one of my favorite places, the boys will love it!!!!!

Keep me busy and keep posting ideas, tips...stories..anything!!

shordiebecka
04-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Okay, so we made some changes. Here's the updated plan of days...

Thursday, May 1- Check in to All Star Sports, relax and eat at food court. Head to MK for 7:10 dinner reservations at The Plaza, stay for Wishes & I believe EMH (if they don't change it). We couldn't get HoB so this is the new plan.

Friday, May 2- MK Morning, Tony's Town Square ALR ( we may cancel this one ). Head to Hotel, or directly to Epcot for ADR at Japan!

Saturday, May 3rd- Breakfast & exploring at Boardwalk, Epcot for lunch at Germany and then exploring Epcot. Back to hote for R&R then to DD for Planet Hollywood Dinner and exploring

Sunday, May 4th- Originally was a Waterpark day. However, my mom brought up the point that if it's nice, locals might crowd it. So we decided on AK for the morning, then maybe a visit to the lodge. free afternoon, dinner at Raglans Road at 11pm

Monday, May 5th- DHS day! Lunch at Sci Fi, then Dinner at Hollywood & Vine, and Fantasmic!

Tuesday, May 6th- New waterpark day. Free afternoon, probably back to Epcot before ADR and Rose and Crown Pub at 8pm for illuminations!

Wednesday, May 7- Lunch at HoB. Leave on DME at 3pm:(

One week from now, I can say "I'm going to Disney World tommorow!"

OregonGirl
04-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Becky -

I'm sure you already know this, but I can't stress enough the importance of taking advantage of the early entry and evening extra magic hours at each of the parks. In my experience Animal Kingdom's evening extra magic hours was really worth it and EPCOT's early entry is really worth it. Also do what I forgot to do and use FP all the time - especially if you want to see Sourin'

.... and if you happen to notice a cute French dude named "Eddie" handling the host duties for the upstairs French restaurant.... gaze at him from afar for me. hee hee

shordiebecka
04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I am planning on taking advantage of them, except the early morning ones. I'm not a morning person, and neither is most of the group i'm going with. I know that waking up early is key in disney, but I would rather battle some crowds and not be tired! I wish I could do the morning hours though!!!!! Fast Past is a must too. I'm hoping I'll be able to do most of the rides through fast past & good planning!

relaaxedwheniamthere
04-27-2008, 04:59 AM
You Cant Go Wrong With Rose & Crown . If You Like Sing Alongs & Pub Songs Leon Gregory Will Be Performing In The Pub . Even If You Can Not Get Outside Seating For The Fireworks Ask Your Severer To Hold Your Meals. Rose & Crown Sometimes Has A Special Viewing Area. Just Ask.:) Dont Worry About Bus Back To Resort They Run 1 Hr After Park Closing. Enjoy

shordiebecka
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
My trip was WONDERFUL!!!! Never waited more than 30 minutes for a ride. Buses, on the other hand, were COMPLETLEY different. Trip Report will be started tommorow, with pictures. Can you post pictures on here? Who wants to hear about it?!?!?!

hmsharpe
05-07-2008, 10:20 PM
A new trip report-great, post soon, we leave in a few days, and I want to hear the latest and greatest! Glad you had a great trip!!

jillybeaner21
05-08-2008, 06:04 AM
YAY!! I'm sooo excited you had a good trip! I leave a week from Monday so I cannot wait to read your report!! :D

shordiebecka
05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I am so sad to leave Disney world. We had an excellent time, despite having some medical emergencies :eek:. I have already started planning another trip, this one in December!!!! Well, here it goes. This will be done in parts, too much at once, and I am going to TRY to post pictures. We will see!!!!

Before I start, let me give some backround info for those who didn't read my Pre Trip Report. I am Becky, 22 (23 in June), Disney Planner. I planned the entire trip with the help of Sasha, 23. There are 6 of us going- Me, Sasha, Amanda (22), Justin (My boyfriend, 21), John (21), and Andrew (21). We are all good friends. My parents also were in Disney the same time that we all were, staying at a different resort. You should all know that the three girls don't drink, the three boys are all 21, so we know what that means...anyways ON WITH THE SHOW!!!

Day 1:

Well, I'll start with the eve of Day 1. We finally left at around 6:30, all 6 of us in tow, for La Quinca Hotel by Bradley Int'l Airport in Hartford, CT. We arrived around 7:45, checked in and got settled. The beds were TINY and I could already tell that the whole "sure, we can all share beds" idea would not be working. After settling down, jumping up and down and screaming "WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY TOMMOROW!!!!" The girls went to go eat at a little Diner called Skeeters, and the Boys went to play pool. Well, turns out pool was too expensive, so a 30 rack of beer would do instead. On the way back in, we bothered the front desk guy. We wanted to know if lighters were allowed on planes, but he didn't know. Some front desk guy :rolleyes:. We all met back at the hotel, and hung out and watched American Idol. Sasha and I, big fans of the 8 hours of sleep a night, went to our room around 10:00 to try to sleep. This was impossible, finally fell asleep around 11:30, woke up at 5:15 AM. Good night.

We woke up, got ourselves together, and headed downstairs for breakfast. At this point, I was so excited I wasn't aware of what time it was. We put a few last minute things in our cars (the clothes we wore the day before), and got the shuttle to the airport. Have i mentioned how much I hate airports? It's so rushed, everyone is yelling at you to do something, ugh:confused:. We got ourselves checked in for our 7:45 AM Flight, stopped for some gum and magazines, then waited for our flight.

IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/beckyswan1/DSCF1043.jpg[/IMG]

That's Us, waiting. Left to Right: Sasha, Becky, Amanda, Justin, Andrew, and John. We're one crazy group.

Up next: Or flight & our Disney Adventures!!!!

tink1972
05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Hooray another report. We'll be leaving the 16th thru 21 at WL. I'd like to take the time to say that this is the best way to get all the info you need on just about everything in planning your trip. I have read lots and lots of trip reports and have gotten some wonderful ideas.

shordiebecka
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm glad you guys are excited!! i did my first part today and went to submit it, but it says it has to be approved by an admin...????.... still no TR up yet because of that, does that happen to everyone?

WDW heart
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Keep it coming!! I can so see taking a trip like this with my daughters and their friends in a few years. :)