PDA

View Full Version : Fritters From New Orleans Square



Pages : [1] 2

Klutch
09-13-2002, 08:36 PM
When I visited Disneyland as a lad back in the early '70s, my mother was always sure to get fritters from someplace in New Orleans Square. They were a kind of deep-fried doughnut that I think came from a cart, but I'm not sure.

My last visit to the park was in '96 and I saw no fritters. Does anyone else recall these fried treats? If so, how would one go about making such fritters at home? I've seen Disney recipes on the 'net, but never for NOS fritters. As Mom tells it, there was something special about these particular fritters.

newhdplayer
09-13-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Klutch
When I visited Disneyland as a lad back in the early '70s, my mother was always sure to get fritters from someplace in New Orleans Square. They were a kind of deep-fried doughnut that I think came from a cart, but I'm not sure.

My last visit to the park was in '96 and I saw no fritters. Does anyone else recall these fried treats? If so, how would one go about making such fritters at home? I've seen Disney recipes on the 'net, but never for NOS fritters. As Mom tells it, there was something special about these particular fritters.

Klutch

Those fritters have gone to the big chuck-wagon in the sky. However, due to popular demand, they will soon return on their own ODV self-serve fritter cart, which will be sure to enhance the ultimate guest experience at the Magic Kingdom.

The cart will contain a propane-fired bucket of lard, refrigerated doughballs, and a special mixture of "secret herbs and spices" (sorry, colonel) to roll them in.

To ensure the proper amount of fry time, each guest will be invited to purchase their own, limited edition, egg-timer (your choice of 8 Character logos, new ones available every third tuesday, limit one per guest, p.o.p. will be a tattoo),

Enjoy

teri
09-13-2002, 08:56 PM
You can get fritters at the Royal Street Veranda. Quite yummy!

There is also a recipe for fritters at the http://www.homestead.com/DoomBuggyProductions/DoomBuggyProductions.html site - enter the site, then click on At Home Imagineering, then scroll down to Disney Recipes.

Klutch
09-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the information as well as the sarcasm!

Not Afraid
09-13-2002, 11:04 PM
You can also get these nummy fritters at the Mint Julep Bar by the train station. The fritters, along with Mint Juleps have been a favorite of mine since about 1967:D

Sheila
09-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Funny how the NOS fritters have evolved over the years.

First, they were rather big with no dipping sauce. Then the era of the apple-filled fritters (yum). Then fritters with a custard dipping sauce, followed by the current incarnation of three little fritters with the raspberry dipping sauce.

Personally, I liked the apple-filled fritters the best. I really dislike the raspberry sauce being offered now -- as a result, I hardly ever buy them any more.

Oh my gosh, I've turned into a fritter snob... :eek: :rolleyes:

Sheila

adriennek
09-13-2002, 11:21 PM
I have enjoyed the fritters in the past. I liked the custard dipping sauce. But man, DLR now has something even better: Beignets at the Jazz Kitchen Cafe in DtD. They taste the same as the ones I had in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde. (I don't really know that the coffee tastes the same, but the coffee didn't leave the same lasting impression that the beignets (http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html) did....)

Adrienne K

Not Afraid
09-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
I have enjoyed the fritters in the past. I liked the custard dipping sauce. But man, DLR now has something even better: Beignets at the Jazz Kitchen Cafe in DtD. They taste the same as the ones I had in New Orleans at Cafe du Monde. (I don't really know that the coffee tastes the same, but the coffee didn't leave the same lasting impression that the beignets (http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html) did....)

Adrienne K

Oh, yeah, baby! Yummmmmmmmm!. And, not to brag (riiight) but I'll be getting some of the real thing at Cafe Du Mond in a few weeks.

awinner
09-13-2002, 11:44 PM
the filled ones were the best....rasberry just seems too healthy now

adriennek
09-14-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Oh, yeah, baby! Yummmmmmmmm!. And, not to brag (riiight) but I'll be getting some of the real thing at Cafe Du Mond in a few weeks.

ACK! Ok, I'll try to get over this but I will be happy for you. (Plus, my trip to NOLA was completely free and paid for by someone else, but we got to stay at Le Meridian on Canal and just walk to French Quarter each night for dinner- who knows when I would get such a sweet deal ever again? I'll savor my memories.)

We'll have to meet for beignets sometime. Ooh, or if you worked in the area, I could come down and bring some to your office or something.

Adrienne K

rexfarms
09-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Ahh New Orleans.......sigh.

Dlandmom
09-14-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
We'll have to meet for beignets sometime. Ooh, or if you worked in the area, I could come down and bring some to your office or something.

Adrienne K

Ooo, ooo! What about me?! I live near you (well, hopefully I will be soon!). Oh gosh, what a dangerous combination, two beignet lovers and one brand spankin' new (and hopefully big) kitchen...scary!

Lani
09-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
Personally, I liked the apple-filled fritters the best. I really dislike the raspberry sauce being offered now -- as a result, I hardly ever buy them any more.I completely agree, Sheila. I made Alex buy some of the new fritters once because I wanted him to see how great they tasted with the apple filling. I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the signs said "fruit dipping sauce" -- boy, what a disappointment! :(

Originally posted by Not Afraid
Oh, yeah, baby! Yummmmmmmmm!. And, not to brag (riiight) but I'll be getting some of the real thing at Cafe Du Mond in a few weeks. Sweetheart, you might first try to learn the correct spelling of the place: Cafe Du Monde (http://www.cafedumonde.com/). :D

N'Awlins coffee has chicory in it, so it tastes a bit different. Nothing like eating beignets on a cold night with the steam from a mug of cafe au lait warming your nose.

Alex S.
09-14-2002, 07:42 PM
You're in freakin' New Orleans, why in the world would you need your nose warmed?

JCLowesman
09-14-2002, 08:00 PM
Obviously you've never been on the Gulf Coast in January. It can get "freekin" cold at times. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and winters here are downright frosty.

BTW, Lani, what about a muffuletta. Now there's a MEAL to keep ther fires stoked, washed down with an ice cold bottle of Dixie.

Now I'm really hungry!

adriennek
09-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Jazz Kitchen Cafe also sells muffuletta....

Yes, I've had muffuletta followed by beignets for dessert.

Dlandmom: When I get my Odyssey, we'll throw the kids in the back of it to go down to DL together, K? Then we'll leave before rush hour starts and take carpool lanes and fast track home, when we're not sitting around a big beautiful kitchen chatting while the kids play and watch Disney videos, DVDs and Playhouse Disney. How's that?

;) Adrienne K

hawaiimouse
09-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Ah Adriennek,

I had those Beignets from the Jazz Kitchen back in my trip in May on a very cold night. The cook actually gave me a double batch since they were getting close to closing. Didn't realize that a batch didn't equal to one beignet, but three...went on a sugar overload when I got back to the room and they weren't bad for breakfast either! Can't wait to have 'em again when I go back in December:D

Lani
09-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JCLowesman
Obviously you've never been on the Gulf Coast in January. It can get "freekin" cold at times. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and winters here are downright frosty.

BTW, Lani, what about a muffuletta. Now there's a MEAL to keep ther fires stoked, washed down with an ice cold bottle of Dixie.Yes, I can concur that winters in N'Awlins gets really chilly at times.

I aren't a huge fan of muffulettas (http://www.gumbopages.com/food/samwiches/muff.html). If I still ate beef, I'd really hanker for a debris sandwich from Mother's... alas, it's either fried oyster po-boys (which may be too fatty for me these days), or just plain red beans & rice, damn the sausages. YUM!!!!

Good lord almighty, I am hungry, and that wimpy California salad did nothing to sate my appetite for lunch!!

JCLowesman
09-16-2002, 06:32 PM
That's ok Lani, I'll eat one for you. I love that sandwhich so much I have a framed copy on my kitchen wall. The only problem is that the ingredients are so darned expensive that I only make them once or twice a year. Oh well, let the good times roll!

Sophie832
09-17-2002, 02:13 AM
I've always wanted to try those fritters, but I never got around to it. You guys make it seem so irresistable that I'll have to grab some on my next visit!

Andrew
09-17-2002, 08:32 AM
I've been thinking about them since reading this thread! I don't think I've had a fritter since they went from one huge one to three small ones. I'll have to remember to get one (or three, or whatever;)) next time I'm at the park.

ice_queen
09-17-2002, 11:26 AM
Thank you so much to Teri for that site link... I can't wait to try my hand at making those fritters.... I've never had them and I guess I'm really missing out!
I love that clam chowder too.... I make a beeline straight to New Orleans Square on each visit to DL. MMMM!!! ;)

teri
09-17-2002, 11:33 AM
You are welcome, ice_queen. The clam chowder is pretty good, but I love the gumbo there on a cool night. Yum. Fritters and "coffee" afterwards... double yum!

45 days, 45 days, 45 days... can I wait that long???

lilblckrncloud
09-17-2002, 02:02 PM
This thread is making me long for New Orleans! I spent quite a bit of time reminiscing about it last week when I was working on a list of tips about the place for a friend of a friend who is planning a trip there soon, and now this thread has to pop up and make my mouth water. Thanks a lot, guys!

*shuffling off to find a way to convince mr. lilblckrncloud that we should stop at DTD for beignets on the way home from work*

TecTalker2K
09-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ice_queen
Thank you so much to Teri for that site link... I can't wait to try my hand at making those fritters.... I've never had them and I guess I'm really missing out!


I think you should make enough for all of us to share. =P