PDA

View Full Version : Hand stamps for AP holders

Pages : [1] 2

Thomas
06-21-2001, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know why Disney requires AP holders to have their hands stamped to gain re-entry into the park. Isn't the fact that your picture is on the pass good enough that you didn't give your ticket to someone else? The reason they have the handstamp for regular ticket holders is so the ticket can't be passed to several different people.:confused:

EandCDad
06-21-2001, 06:58 AM
From the Disney Handbook "Always, repeat, always stamp the hands of Annual Passholders as they could have a twin brother or sister sitting in the car all day that they could pass their pass to. If this happened the twin would then get free enjoyment, which is against corporate policy."

Not really, I always wondered that myself, but my kids love to get their hands stamped for any reason.

lisap
06-21-2001, 06:58 AM
I think--
the AP is good for one entry per day just in case people don't try to work the system by getting their friends to cut and dye their hair to match the picture. Believe me, if there is a way to beat the system, people will jump on it.

80S ERA
06-21-2001, 07:08 AM
Another reason - and equally important is the purpose of an accurate head count. People re-entering the park (including AP's) enter through the "guest re-entry" line so that they are not counted twice through the normal entrance turnstiles.

Alex S.
06-21-2001, 07:36 AM
Maybe it is just a leftover policy from a time when APs did not have photos on them (was there ever such a time?). Obviously the computer could easily tell them if you have been in the park already that day. But then the computerized tracking of APs is amazingly shallow.

Personally, I always get my hand stamped, even when I know I won't be coming back. I figure that someday I will develop a melanoma that spells a character name.

Ralph Wiggum
06-21-2001, 08:46 AM
This is not exactly on the subject but its related.. did you know that there are marks on the back of your pass that show up only in blacklight. I didnt see if it was any picture in peticular or just random marks but i noticed it one night when we were entering disneyland and we forgot our handstamp.

JeffG
06-21-2001, 10:43 AM
I suspect that the hand stamp for AP holders is probably mostly just to enforce a uniform policy for re-entry. It is probably just easier to tell everyone that they need a handstamp to re-enter than it is to exclude specific groups from the policy.

This thread does remind me of one of the stranger conversations I ever got into at the park. Shortly after they started actually enforcing the requirment that you show your ticket during re-entry, some friends and I got into a discussion of whether or not they had missed any possible ways to cheat with an annual pass. What we came up with was that it would be fairly easy to cheat for a set of identical twins that both have removable, artificial left arms...

-Jeff

Mandrake Linux
06-21-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA
Another reason - and equally important is the purpose of an accurate head count. People re-entering the park (including AP's) enter through the "guest re-entry" line so that they are not counted twice through the normal entrance turnstiles.

Once my brother jumped over a turnstile and I remember as a child, while leaving, I pressed the red reset button on the digital turnstyle that reset it all to 000000. I think they took all the reset buttons off now.

Rok
06-21-2001, 03:09 PM
Not only do you need a handstamp for re-entry in one park, but you need to get a handstamp if you are park-hopping. Which came as a pretty big surprise to us. Luckily we ran into a cool CM that day.

Anyone know why the golden zepher is silver?

Napsto
06-21-2001, 03:16 PM
my friend used his cousin's passs to get in one time. we were rebels.

JRob2k1
06-21-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Rok
Anyone know why the golden zepher is silver?

I have never been able to experience the Silver Zephyr because usually someone is breathing too hard near the ride and they have to shut it down. :)

-JRob

Dreamstaker
06-21-2001, 08:12 PM
I have been on the Golden (silver) Zepher once. You are not missing a thing. Go ride Dumbo or the Rockets.

I think JeffG is right, it is probably just easier to make one rule then have confusion. The lines in are slow enough with people being confused on which park they can go to or if they have been in already and have their pass or not. Adding one more thing to the mix could be scary.

soccerlady16
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I've had my AP for 3 years and never gotten a handstamp. We parkhop all day long, all the time and have never been asked to show a handstamp. {Now that I've said this I think I've just jixed myself}

matt5172
09-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I've park hopped with my AP at least 20 times the last 2 months, they don't check handstamps, and I've never gotten one

THpoohbear
09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I've had my AP for 3 years and never gotten a handstamp. We parkhop all day long, all the time and have never been asked to show a handstamp. {Now that I've said this I think I've just jixed myself}

When I had an AP, (just last year), I never got a stamp, and also was never asked to show one! Hmmmm...

MrsG
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Serious old tread. Thought they'd changed the policy since I've never gotten a hand stamp since becoming an AP holder.

Dexter
09-06-2005, 06:41 PM
When I had an AP, (just last year), I never got a stamp, and also was never asked to show one! Hmmmm...

It may interest those of you that replied to notice that this thread was opened in 2001, at that time the resort was requiring handstamps for both passholders as well as regular ticketed guests. The resort discontinued stamping Annual Passholders hands about 6 months after DCA opened.

THpoohbear
09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
It may interest those of you that replied to notice that this thread was opened in 2001, at that time the resort was requiring handstamps for both passholders as well as regular ticketed guests. The resort discontinued stamping Annual Passholders hands about 6 months after DCA opened.

Ah! Another thing to show how brilliantly observant I am!!! ;)

h_lehmann
09-06-2005, 06:46 PM
I can confirm that..... On August 21st, my family started out in Disneyland with our new Southern CA annual passes. We went to DCA for a few hours in the afternoon, then took the monorail back to Disneyland to catch the fireworks. Not one of us was asked to show a hand stamp.

ToursbabeC3po
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
No handstamp is needed with AP's

SCUBAbe
09-06-2005, 07:39 PM
I NEVER get my hand stamped and i ALWAYS parkhop without any problems..:)

Malcon10t
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I've had my AP for 3 years and never gotten a handstamp. We parkhop all day long, all the time and have never been asked to show a handstamp. {Now that I've said this I think I've just jixed myself}Handstamps stopped for APers in 2002 I believe.

TowerofTerror
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
me either .I Figure what for I have an AP

mkcbunny
09-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Personally, I always get my hand stamped, even when I know I won't be coming back. I figure that someday I will develop a melanoma that spells a character name.
Look on the bright side: You won't need a black light to read it.

tod
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I get my hand stamped because I don't like to call attention to myself, and saying "No, thank you, I have an Annual Pass" to a smiling CM with a stamp in one hand and an ink pad in the other can wipe that smile off their face in a second, I've seen it happen.

That's why I keep alcohol wipes in my car. They aren't just for sterilizing the area before an injection, you know.

--t