PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Talk With Crush-- How do they do it?

BlewByYou
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
We saw Turtle Talk with Crush yesterday for the first time. Wow!! How in the heck did they do it?? Does anyone know? We thought of the simple things like somebody is watching through the windows and just types in the person's name or something but how would they know what questions to answer? How do they do it??

danyoung
03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Crush is controlled by a live actor/technician, along with a lot of computer assistance. I haven't seen Crush's operator, but I have worked with characters like him on corporate events. There's a real person controlling joysticks with multiple buttons on them. Each button will perform either a specific action or initiate a sequence. For example, the right index finger might control the mouth - push one button and the mouth "eee"'s, push another and the mouth "ooo"'s, with a little practice you can make it look as if he's talking. Buttons on the left hand might trigger a sequence, like Crush doing the excited back flip. There are very sensitive mics in the room, so he can hear and respond. So in a sense, you really are talking with Crush!

gtpinoy
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
What do you mean?!?! Crush isn't real?! :eek:

Where does the controller sit? I know I've spotted a mirror, I can't remember it's exact location, but could that be it?

Bytebear
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Crush is controlled by a live actor/technician, along with a lot of computer assistance. I haven't seen Crush's operator, but I have worked with characters like him on corporate events. There's a real person controlling joysticks with multiple buttons on them. Each button will perform either a specific action or initiate a sequence. For example, the right index finger might control the mouth - push one button and the mouth "eee"'s, push another and the mouth "ooo"'s, with a little practice you can make it look as if he's talking. Buttons on the left hand might trigger a sequence, like Crush doing the excited back flip. There are very sensitive mics in the room, so he can hear and respond. So in a sense, you really are talking with Crush!

It may be even more technologically advanced than that. I don't know if Crush uses this technology, but I do know there is software that takes the audio, and in real time forms the mouth movements in real time automatically. The swimming and sequences would still be controlled by the performer though.

mommy-san
03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
When we went my husband was fooling around with his polarizing filter on our camera- made the 'window to the pacific' nearly disappear. He said he could see a few things 'in the water'.

bradk
03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
sensitive mikes? isn't there just the one microphone the CM has?

there are also two low-light color cameras, one on either side of the screen. so crush can see well into the people tank.

the technology for crush himself is somewhat actually not that new (and probably actually came from work that Jim Henson did) but the magic is in the software which dynamically layers and marries various sequences together. turtle talk is actually a segment of pre-created animated sequences (for example crush showing off his abs, modeling a bikini, the whole whale and dory bit, passing gas, etc). the software manages to seemlessly get crush from one segment into the next (while crush's facial expressions and mouth are superimposed). aside from the dory bit, i take simple pleasures when the hydrophone gets hit.

the ABD tour has a 'private' show with crush but i'm hoping for a bit more than that.

Second Star
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Turtle Talk is a must stop every time we go to the DLR.

When we were there in Dec 2006, Crush ask me if my face moss hurts. I have a beard. So Crush has some sort of visual on the audience too. :)

bradk
03-07-2008, 03:11 AM
yes, like i said, there are 2 cameras... 1 on each side of the screen. he does call out kids by the color of their shell as it is.

danyoung
03-07-2008, 07:56 AM
...I do know there is software that takes the audio, and in real time forms the mouth movements in real time automatically.

You're probably right. I have some desktop conferencing software that can do the same thing from a simple PC camera. I can change my online appearance to that of an avatar (a dinosaur, for instance), and the camera will track my mouth movements and cause the dino to move the same. It's kinda spooky, but way cool! But it's important to note that while this technology may indeed automate Crush's mouth movements, it's still a live operator/actor "performing" him.

And while there is the handheld mic for Crush to hear the questions being asked of him, I'd bet that there are also room mics for him to hear the room as a whole. And yes, there are cameras so that he can see what's going on with the audience.

LdyApxr
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Where is this located at? I want to take DS2 when we go in just under two weeks. Is it in DCA or DL?

Bytebear
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Where is this located at? I want to take DS2 when we go in just under two weeks. Is it in DCA or DL?

Turtle Talk with Crush is located in DCA in the Animation building which is found in the Hollywood Studio Backlot just past the store "Off the Page".

There is a similar exhibit in the Innoventions building in Disneyland featuring Stitch instead of Crush. This exhibit only accomodates a few people (like 4 adults), but you get a photo taken that you can have emailed to you for free.

SANDYMARIE
03-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Turtle Talk with Crush is located in DCA in the Animation building which is found in the Hollywood Studio Backlot just past the store "Off the Page".

There is a similar exhibit in the Innoventions building in Disneyland featuring Stitch instead of Crush. This exhibit only accomodates a few people (like 4 adults), but you get a photo taken that you can have emailed to you for free.

Thanks for the info..........this is a must do!!!!!!

TTFN :)

GrumpyUTboi
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I did see a cast member come out from behind a curtain after the show. As you face the screen there is a curtain to your left.

DaDuckFan1955
03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
gotta be hidden mics in the room.

When I was there in December a couple of kids behind us were talking really low mocking crush and suddenly Crush mocks them back asking them "Hey dudes whose keeping you here against you will?" as a CM walks across from the other side of the room to lend them a "mic".

Kinda spooky at first...funny when the kids got busted..I think they did it on purpose cause they seemed to enjoy getting the "mic""...

Crazy4DL
03-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know how they do it but I can tell you, after finally stopping for his show this last trip . . . Crush rocks!

We loved the show. I told this story already but our littlest one was upset he didn't get to ask his question so we were talking to the CM on the floor (the one that carries the mic) after the rest of the audience left. Crush suddenly swam back out and talked to Wyatt personally . . . pure Disney magic. :crying::)