PDA

View Full Version : Baby pass/switch for rides?

Keurigirl
01-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Can anyone help me find information about how the baby switch thing works? I know that if you have a child, that you can ride something while the other person waits and then swap, but I was hoping someone would know where to get the official info about it. Or maybe just tell me about it. Thanks!

IdahoMike
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Basically, the first person has to go through the line, and when you get up to the CM at the entrance (depends on the attraction where they will be), you ask for the rider switch pass. Sometimes they ask to see the spouse and child, sometimes not, but then once you finish the ride, you go sit with the baby, and your spouse can take the pass, and board the attraction basically like a fastpass, without having to wait the entire length of the queue. It's pretty handy, we have used it tons of times. I think that it is a maximum of 2 people that can ride per switch pass.

kristinhawk
02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The switch pass system is awesome, imho.

This is how it works for us - when we're not with friends/family we are mom, dad, 4 year old and 18 month old. Our four year old is pretty tall, so she can go on almost everything (not indy or screamin, but I can't think of much else!) but obviously there are rides that exclude our little one. So - all four of us walk up to the place of the line where they typically measure height - ask for a switch pass which I take. Then DH and DD1 get in line and go on the ride. Once they are done, DH takes DD2 and then DD1 and I get to go through the fastpass line onto the ride.

Same thing works for rides that the girls can't go on at all - say screamin. We all go up to the line to get a switch (to show that there is a need - they ask you to point out who is waiting with kids if you go up solo) and then DH goes on, then takes the kids so I can go on, little/no wait.

It's the way to go with little ones, and I find that not everyone knows about it - I tell all my friends with little ones and they wonder why no one told them before!

That's just my experience. A CM could probably explain it more clearly or accurately.

ditz
02-02-2008, 06:23 AM
WOW!! That's neat! I thought that everyone had to get in line then inform the cast member that you're doing the switch (that's what I read from a guide book) . So you don't need to have a fast pass to get a rider switch pass?

ditz
02-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Does the same thing work for Universal? :)

adriennek
02-02-2008, 09:30 AM
WOW!! That's neat! I thought that everyone had to get in line then inform the cast member that you're doing the switch (that's what I read from a guide book) . So you don't need to have a fast pass to get a rider switch pass?

Are you going to Walt Disney World or Disneyland? They don't have the same policy.

According to this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=91186) you're going to WDW. Your description is what happens at WDW. This poster was asking in the Disneyland Forum and this is the policy at Disneyland.

Adrienne

ditz
02-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Disneyworld. From what I understand in the guidebook I read, you can get a rider switch pass if you have a fast pass. To switch, the whole party would need to fall in line then inform the CM that you want a switch off. Is that correct? Also, does the rider switch pass/ switch apply to all the rides? Let's say my 2 year old can meet the height requirement but she doesn't want to ride. Can I just ask for a switch from the CM? Thanks!!!

adriennek
02-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Disneyworld. From what I understand in the guidebook I read, you can get a rider switch pass if you have a fast pass. To switch, the whole party would need to fall in line then inform the CM that you want a switch off. Is that correct? Also, does the rider switch pass/ switch apply to all the rides? Let's say my 2 year old can meet the height requirement but she doesn't want to ride. Can I just ask for a switch from the CM? Thanks!!!

This is only correct for WDW. This is one reason we keep the DisneyLAND and Walt Disney World trip planning forums separate: the information for the two resorts is often different and can be confusing if we mix the two.

Adrienne

ditz
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Ok thanks! Does anyone know if the switch applies for all or only some of the rides?

ditz
02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
sorry about the mix up. I didn't notice that this forum is for disneyland. :(

Drince88
02-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Even though this is the DL forum, about a year ago I used the rider switch at WDW. Everyone doesn't have to stand in line - it's the same basic process as at DL, though the passes are physially different kinds of pieces of paper. Also, I think that DL allows 2 people total, when we were there, the WDW pass allows 3 people total on the baby switch pass.

You can use baby switch with fast passes. I'm going to use the numbers from our group for illustration. We had 6 people total (all over 3), one was too short. We got 6 fastpasses for a 'good ride with a long standby line on a busy day'. When the time came to use the fast passes, all 6 went to the fast pass return line, showed 4 fastpasses and the 'baby (N)' and got a rider switch pass. 4 people went into the line, N and Aunt Cathy stayed outside and got a coke and walked around a little to wait. The 4 got done and finally found us (note: make a fairly specific meet-up place!) Mom stayed with N, Dad and J1 rode again with the 2 left over FPs from before, Aunt Cathy and J2 rode on the kid swap. So Dad, J and J got to ride 2x, Aunt Cathy and Mom got to go once each, all rides using the FP return line.

The other way to use FP to maximize your riding works better if you have 4 people, 1 too short (but needing a ticket). Get 2 FP for Ride 1. Get 2 FP for Ride 2 with the other set of tickets. When Ride 1 FP is ready to bue used, get Kid Swap for ride, and Dad and Big Kid ride using the FPs. Swap out, Mom and Big Kid ride with the kid swap. Go to Ride 2. Repeat.

adriennek
02-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Cathy's aforementioned Fast Pass "trick" works at Disneyland on any restricted ride with a Fast Pass, btw. :)

Ok thanks! Does anyone know if the switch applies for all or only some of the rides?

I honestly don't know the answer for WDW because I've never been there.

At Disneyland Rider Switch works on any ride with a height restriction. They have formal passes in place and they're coded so you would use them the same day they're given to you.

In theory, you should be able to use Rider Switch on ANY ride. So if you had a child who was afraid to ride Pirates or who you felt was too young to handle Haunted Mansion Holiday, the CMs SHOULD be able to do a rider switch. However, there is no formal pass for those rides so it would be up to the CMs discretion to offer it to you. Usually they don't because between the length of the lines and the frequency with which they rotate positions, they can't assure the CMs will be in the proper places to remember you when you come back so it just becomes too difficult to mange.

Adrienne

tonytone
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Unless things have changed as far as obtaining rider switch passes and/or cast member leeway, note that on some rides you have to actually wait in the standby line until that point where there is a CM waiting at the entrance to the FP return queue before being allowed to obtain a rider switch pass (Splash Mountain is one)--unless of course the line isn't long enough to the point where you can just walk up to the CM anyways, whereas on other rides (e.g., Soarin', Star Tours) you can walk right up to the CM and ask for one.

Now, even on rides such as Soarin' or Star Tours YMMV as far as getting a CM to give you a pass w/o you having first waited in the standby line but I've always been able to obtain a pass for these rides w/o having first waited (w/ my entire group) in the standby line.

gloria
02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

I know for a fact that Universal Studios or Legoland do not use actual, physical "passes"; however, they will let the other half of your party wait at the front of the gate while the other party rides, then you hand off the "baby", and the other party rides.

Thank you to DL for coming up with the idea of "switching", or my DH and DS#2 would have to get in line when we got off! And believe me, I have no hesitation in asking for the switch. I have done it at every amusement park we have been to...Paramount's Great America and even Gilroy Gardens.

It never hurts to ask!

gloria

candles71
02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
yes, in fact Universal had it first and you get closer up in the line than at DL. But still is great at DL. My oldest stayed with her little sister at screamin' so the rest of us could go on. then she got to go on with one other person at the fast pass gate. Also Universal supplies a playroom inside Jurrassic Park and The Mummy for your wait with the little one.

Seashellmama
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Apropos of almost nothing, but at least getting this back to Anaheim...

We almost did an inverse baby switch... a kind of grandma switch... last time we were at Disneyland. I was there with my mom and my two little kids- grandma didn't want to ride the ToonTown roller coaster (uh. Gadget's Go Coaster. Does anyone call it that?), but both kids did, but neither wanted to sit alone (they'd just turned 3 and 6), so we were going to leave one with grandma on the exit platform while I took the other, and then I'd get to ride again right away with the one who'd waited. But then the CM who was doing loading, who told me my plan was fine and we could do that, offered to just ride with my 6 year old, who agreed that that sounded like a grand plan, so the CM and my 6yo got in the row behind me and the 3yo. I imagine that can only work on 45 second rides which only have one ride vehicle! (it was also a very slow day and the coaster was nearly a walk-on anyway).