PDA

View Full Version : Child Care at Disneyland

fronkfam
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi everyone,

We are visiting Disneyland in Sept. Our kids will be 11, 8, 5, and 18months. Our 8 year old has seizures and other disabilities. We are wondering if someone can recommend a babysitting service or other option in case we need a sitter for a night or part of a day. We may need to spend time alone with some of our kids if their siblings are having a rough day. Or just need an extra hand at the park to get everyone where they want to go.

We have considered taking someone with us, but we are driving this time and just don't have the extra room.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

jMom
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Where will you be staying? Calling your hotel and asking could be another place to start.

I know that the Disenyland Hotel works with an agency (call and ask) and that the Grand Californian Hotel offers child care programs for older kids. When we stayed at the HoJos in December, they provided a sheet of child care service numbers.

I have not used any of the services -- good luck!

Malcon10t
01-31-2008, 04:52 PM
One name I have heard here before is Fullerton Child Care. I would call before you leave home. Some have LVNs that go out, which may be more your needs.

fronkfam
01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
One name I have heard here before is Fullerton Child Care. I would call before you leave home. Some have LVNs that go out, which may be more your needs.

Maybe I should know what LVN is, but that's slipping my mind right now.

I will also call our hotel. We are staying at Homewood Suites, so we can have a large room and fix food for the kids if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

Malcon10t
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Maybe I should know what LVN is, but that's slipping my mind right now. Licensed Vocational Nurse.

fronkfam
02-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks!

Gilesmt
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi, I have heard great things about Fullerton Child Care and I have heard that they will send someone out and be with you in the park, which may be right for you if your son has seizures. My daughter has seizures and I wanted to let you know that if you have a dog that helps at home you can bring the dog with you. Which was very helpful for us because the dog would warn us before a seizure and let us get to a seat and shade, we were really lucky that she did not have one on any ride and she rode them all. But the child care will be helpful if your son is like my daughter and only wants to sleep after a seizure. Also, you did not mention if you son was in a w/c, if he has his own, even if he hardly ever uses it at home bring it, when my daughter was 8 she was way to small for the w/c's at DL and she was more comfortable in her own, even though she only used it once or twice in 5 days. Hope this helps.

fronkfam
02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Also, you did not mention if you son was in a w/c, if he has his own, even if he hardly ever uses it at home bring it, when my daughter was 8 she was way to small for the w/c's at DL and she was more comfortable in her own, even though she only used it once or twice in 5 days. Hope this helps.

Our son doesn't have a wheelchair. Last time we went he was small enough for our jogging stroller, but this time he won't be. We are looking for a place to rent a pediatric wheelchair.

Thanks for the advice.

aymieb
02-06-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't know where you are coming from, but it might be cost effective (and more comfortable for you and your family) if you flew down the person you were thinking of bringing with you. They could fly down and meet you at the hotel. The cost of the babysitter or LVN will be costly so it might be worth thinking about to use that money to leave the kids with someone you know. Just a thought. Hope you have a great trip!!

fronkfam
02-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. We wouldn't be hiring a babysitter for the whole trip just off and on here and there if needed. So we didn't think flying someone down and paying for them to get in the park would be worth it. But it is definitely worth a second thought. I need to sit down and take time to compare costs of different options!

Malcon10t
02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Most of the child care locations have a minimum of 4 hours. Expect at least $25 an hour plus gratuity.

Reegster
02-18-2008, 09:22 PM
We have visited the resort many times and now that our kids are a little older,
(10, 5 and 3) we are considering engaging the services of a sitter to watch them so my wife and I can enjoy a peaceful dinner at Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55. Has anyone ever done this? Does the resort offer a service or recommendation? I know about the kids workshop thing at the GCH but apparently, our 3 yo is to young. Any suggestions? We are staying at the PPH.

Thanks

momuvseven
02-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Our baby has special needs. I am actually the mom of eight but have not changed my user name since he was born. We have the same concerns about him needing a break and wanting to be sure the rest of the family doesn't miss out on the park.

We stay places like the Homewood and find it meets our needs well. We like to get two bedroom suites so often we are at the Staybridge since those are hard to come by.

We can't afford a sitter and I'm not sure I would really be comfortable with a stranger. Our son needs skilled nursing 24 hours a day and I wouldn't even trust to leave him alone in a hospital setting because my husband and I are so in tune with his needs and it is not something I can teach someone quickly. I have one friend at home who is a pediatric nurse who watches him to give me a break a few hours a month.

What has worked for us in the past is that dh and I have agreed to take turns with him if needed. The other parent will take the kids and go do all the wilder stuff that we enjoy but that would be too much for the baby. The parent who stays with the baby actually has a really nice time too because we can actually relax and watch whatever we want on tv. If you have a big family then you know time alone is pretty rare and control of the remote control even rarer. We get the laundry done too and maybe order in a pizza. When you are home there is always so much to do but when you just have one child and can spend time alone in a suite it really is some downtime.

The parent who goes out with the kids has a great time too. It is so totally cool to get some respite from doing medical care all the time. I can really relax and just forget all about it because I know my husband is even more skilled than I am.

One night we did stay in and ordered room service. Not really what we had planned on but the baby was letting us know he had just had enough. We had bought some toys that day and everyone was totally involved in those. Turned out we all needed some down time. We hit the park the next day fresher and had a good time.

I know that is not really an answer regarding sitter services but it is what works for us. I just wanted to present how our family makes things work. Also our fears of how he would do in the park were not really warranted. He does just as well as any other baby. Our other kids needed naps and breaks too when they were younger.

fronkfam
02-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I really appreciate the insight you gave about how your family handles a trip. We have four kids, our son with Special Needs is second oldest(8) we also have ages 11, 4 and almost 1. I worry about how we will divide up if the baby, the 8 year old and 4 year old all need attention at the same time, but we won't know until we try!

momuvseven
02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Really, all the skills your family already has at home in caring for a child with special needs will come together when you are at Disneyland. For your family this is all normal so what ever works for you at home will also work at DLR.

I used to not ask my other kids to do anything to help but then I found out they really wanted to be involved and learn. Another parent pointed out to me that if they can program the cell phone and computer then there is no reason they can't learn how to use the medical equipment. I taught them what they need to know so at least I can run to the bathroom.

Have faith in how far you have already come in your journey and your abilities. I am sure you have already overcome many situations that you never thought you could.

If you aren't able to find a caregiver to assist you then just take it slower, have a plan B made in advance and plan something extra special for all of you to enjoy together.

A favorite for my children is Build-A-Bear workshop, they even have bears with disabilities now I think. I schedule a party in advance so that we have a party host. We get a great party, memories and souveneirs all at once!

jsilkey
02-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Parents of special needs kids usually like to assit and support each other. If you post an ad on the local craigslist, someone might be willing to loan or inexpensively rent you a pediatric wheelchair....hopefully cheaper than renting through a medical company. Just a thought....;)

fronkfam
02-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Parents of special needs kids usually like to assit and support each other. If you post an ad on the local craigslist, someone might be willing to loan or inexpensively rent you a pediatric wheelchair....hopefully cheaper than renting through a medical company. Just a thought....;)

That is a fantastic idea! I know someone who posted on Craigslist to find a caregiver while on vacation in Florida. But I hadn't thought about it for the wheelchair. Thanks so much!!

Jim Dear and Darling
02-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I know someone who posted on Craigslist to find a caregiver while on vacation in Florida.

Wow... I think that's insane. I know it might sound paranoid, but there are a lot of predators who use craigslist. I would never trust somebody from there to care for my kids.

I know you aren't saying you're doing this, fronkfam... So not directed at you... I just read that and went "wow!! What a scary thought!!"

LdyApxr
02-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I would be inclined to agree with Peachy, this is not something you want to do. There are a ton of freaks out there and I wouldn't trust anyone to take care of my kids. Just seems kinda creepy. Then again, I tend to err on the side of caution.

dsnyredhead
02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I have been in the babycare center on Main Street when parents have come in asking if they can "drop their children off there because it's called Baby Care Center". Sorry, the baby care center is for changing, feeding only! They will not watch your children. :eek: I'm not saying anyone on these boards would think to try that...but it does happen.

LdyApxr
02-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I have been in the babycare center on Main Street when parents have come in asking if they can "drop their children off there because it's called Baby Care Center". Sorry, the baby care center is for changing, feeding only! They will not watch your children. :eek: I'm not saying anyone on these boards would think to try that...but it does happen.

OMG! LOL Just goes to show how smart some of these people are. Who allowed them to breed? LOL ;)

fronkfam
02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
No, we aren't looking for a caregiver on Craigslist! Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt! I probably made it sound worse than it was. This lady found a caregiver's ad on craigslist and responded to it. The person she ended up hiring worked for a nanny agency that was licensed and everything. Pretty much like what I have heard about Fullerton Child Care.

Sorry if I scared anyone!:eek: