PDA

View Full Version : Which Savannah view is best at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas?

ChuckC
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a rezzie for the AKL Villas from March 2 to March 8---savanna view. Can someone give me a clue as to which savanna I will be viewing or doesn't it make a difference? Can I call to request a particular view and if so, which one?

I will be arriving at the AKL around noon (I arrive from Hartford about 10:30 and take the DME to the villas) so a pretty good room should be available tho I know that it probably won't be ready until about 4 PM.

Thanks.

Mr.Abominable
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I have always preferred the Arusha Savannah because it is the largest and it is the only one with zebras. We did have the pleasure of staying in a suite once that was on the border of the Sunset Savannah and the Arusha Savannah. This was a great spot because the animals from the two savannahs seem to come here to meet. I think two of the separated giraffes were in love. The following is a detailed description of the savannahs that I found on the dreams unlimited travel website;

There are 3, 11 acre savannahs at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Sunset Savannah, Arusha Savannah and Uzima Savannah. Each savannah has it's own set of wildlife and hoofstock as follows:

* Sunset Savannah: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.
* Arusha Savannah: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok
* Uzima Savannah: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

Where the rooms face:
Zebra trail rooms overlook the Arusha savannah (odd number rooms) and the Uzima Savannah (even number rooms). Kudu trail rooms overlook Arusha Savannah (odd number rooms) or Sunset Savannah (even number rooms). Even numbered rooms in Ostrich Trail will overlook Sunset Savannah, while the odd number rooms overlook the valet area. On Giraffe Trail, the even number rooms will overlook the pool, while the odd number rooms overlook the valet area.

TIP: For an amazing view of the animals near their feeding area, choose rooms (on any floor, even number rooms only) from X572 through X584 (where X is the floor number). Also, odd numbered rooms X541 through X555 have a similar view. These rooms wrap around the feeding area, and provided us an AWESOME view of the giraffe and Tommies (Thompsons gazelles). If you follow Zebra trail to the end, and go to the outside stairwell, you can get a fantastic view of this area as well (4th floor is ideal). There are also savannah viewing areas on the 2nd floor of Zebra trail at the 'elbows' of each section.

Drince88
01-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Are their DVC rooms on each of the trails?

ChuckC
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Where the rooms face:
Zebra trail rooms overlook the Arusha savannah (odd number rooms) and the Uzima Savannah (even number rooms). Kudu trail rooms overlook Arusha Savannah (odd number rooms) or Sunset Savannah (even number rooms). Even numbered rooms in Ostrich Trail will overlook Sunset Savannah, while the odd number rooms overlook the valet area. On Giraffe Trail, the even number rooms will overlook the pool, while the odd number rooms overlook the valet area.

TIP: For an amazing view of the animals near their feeding area, choose rooms (on any floor, even number rooms only) from X572 through X584 (where X is the floor number). Also, odd numbered rooms X541 through X555 have a similar view. These rooms wrap around the feeding area, and provided us an AWESOME view of the giraffe and Tommies (Thompsons gazelles). If you follow Zebra trail to the end, and go to the outside stairwell, you can get a fantastic view of this area as well (4th floor is ideal). There are also savannah viewing areas on the 2nd floor of Zebra trail at the 'elbows' of each section.

Since the Sunset savanna view will include the construction of the new lodge whom would I call to request (I know nothing is guaranteed) a different savanna view or even a particular room (preferably one of the Zebra Trail rooms facing the Arusha Savanna)? Would I call member services or the AKL itself?

Thanks.

nutsformickey
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi ChuckC, I just got back from AKL last week. We stayed on the 5th floor on the Zebra Trail overlooking the Arusha Savanah. It was amazing. The rooms on the Kudu Trail that overlook the Arusha Savanah have a view of the pond that the cranes, ducks and pelicans hang out at and the giraffe feeding area is right there. On the Kudu trail we could not see the pond but the other animals hung out in front of our rooms more than on the other side in my opinion. Either view would be great. I would request not to be on the Sunset Savanah for sure. You can call Member Services to make the request. That is what I did. I walked over to the Sunset Savanah to get a glimpse of the Kindani Village site and I saw no animals except a few birds and the construction site is very close and not attractive to look at. I have even heard that they have removed the animals from that savanah in order to avoid them being spooked by the construction noise. Maybe someone else can confirm that. All this being said it was the best Disney Trip I have ever had. I am an animal lover and I could have sat there all day on the balcony looking at the different animals come and go. It was so peaceful. I even went out at 3 in the morning and wouldn't you know there were three elands laying in the grass eating right under my balcony. And as a side note, we saw a Bongo on our savanah as well. Have a great trip :D I'm jealous ;)