PDA

View Full Version : Rose Parade coverage

Andrew
12-30-2007, 05:10 PM
After many, many years of exclusively watching KTLA's Rose Parade coverage (http://ktla.trb.com/extras/ktla/roseparade2008/index.html) (broadcast on KRON-4 in the Bay Area) I am ready for a change. When they unceremoniously kicked Stephanie Edwards out of the booth to be rained on as the street reporter in 2006, bringing in Michaela whatsername to co-host, it was bad enough. When they fired her entirely last year it was just too much. I'm done.

I'm thinking HGTV's coverage (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_39188,00.html) will make a nice change for this year. Any opinions?

magicpointeshoe
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Um, that's their (KTLA) no commercial feed. Bob Ubanks correct? Also, typically the hgtv is broadcast on one of the original core HD channels, if I remember correctly on directv.

Oh, looking at your link I guess not. =oP

Alex S.
12-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Any opinions?

Yes. But (actually getting to say this is the only reason I post at all) you don't want me to rain on your parade.

adriennek
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmmm, that one looks interesting. Jann Carl used to work at KTLA...

Adrienne

Drince88
12-31-2007, 03:11 AM
Um, that's their (KTLA) no commercial feed. Bob Ubanks correct?

I think this was the case either last year, or the year before. I like the HGTV feed because they actually show the whole parade, which is important to me when we're talking all-floral parades. SOOOOO different from Mardi Gras parades!

Klutch
01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
SOOOOO different from Mardi Gras parades!

Understatement of the year! (So far, anyway.) ;)

adriennek
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
I woke up and I should've taped KTLA, LOL.

I like their location better, the camera work is more polished, and the script is a lot more polished. :(

Oh well.

Adrienne

biolabetty
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I watched KTLA's coverage for about 5 minutes, but it felt so strange without the duo of Bob Eubanks and Stephanie Edwards, so I turned it off. I'll look at the pictures of the floats online or in the paper later. I thought the two of them had a good on-air rapport.

adriennek
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Well we realized when we watched the re-run on KTLA that there were things you just couldn't see on HGTV - the Honda float was in the distance on HGTV and when we watched it on KTLA, my sister kept commenting on how much better it was. When the Trader Joe's float went by on HGTV, they said 'Oh that will look really good when it's working" because the animation wasn't turned on yet. On KTLA we saw it in action.

I thought Bob and Michaela's chit chat this year sounded comfortable. I miss Stephanie Edwards and I think she was royally screwed by KTLA, but - the coverage is still the best.

None of us can believe that they actually got the parade finished in 2 hours this year. There was a pause/break/delay before the band in front of the Bejing float. I didn't hear if there was any incident around the corner with protesters. I should google that...

Adrienne

Andrew
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Were you watching the same HGTV feed we were? The Honda float did its full animation and so did the Trader Joe's float.

I agree that the commentators seemed to babble, especially the one at street level, and I didn't appreciate all the "watch our other shows" cutaways.

lisap
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
We watched the KTLA coverage down here in San Diego and thought they did a good job. The Honda float was awesome, as was Anaheim's freeway/mini city. I know there was controversy about the Olympic float, but the performers were amazing. Did you catch the dragon/dog thing balancing on the giant ball? Totally cool.

adriennek
01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Were you watching the same HGTV feed we were? The Honda float did its full animation and so did the Trader Joe's float.

Ok, Doc didn't see the TJ's float animated on HGTV. They saw the Honda float animate on HGTV but when they saw it on KTLA they kept commenting how much better the view and angles were on KTLA.

Lisa: We all commented on the dragon on the ball. That would be hard enough with one person not in a costume!

Adrienne

stan4d_steph
01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I mostly watched coverage on the Travel Channel.

MrsGrumpy
01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
We went to the parade today. We were toward the end of the route, and I think most people were just plain tired out by the time they got to our section. Most of the bands had stopped playing, except for the drummers. Emeril looked wiped out and bored...didn't wave much...that disappointed me, and no dragon on the ball.
We came home and watched it again on the Travel channel, and saw some really cool stuff that we missed, I believe because we were toward the end. It was great to see it in person...the flowers were gorgeous, and floats so ornate...lots of creativity, and neat to see it all up close...something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime....but I won't be going back in the near future.
BTW: The Honda float was awesome.

bassett1976
01-01-2008, 08:31 PM
We went to the parade today. We were toward the end of the route, and I think most people were just plain tired out by the time they got to our section.

We used to live by Rose Parade Park and got to see the last 4 Rose Parades just at the end of the route before they go into Rose Parade Park. The bands are always tired and very few ever play when they get to that point. Usually the Marine band plays because of the reserve base on the corner (of Paloma). The floats are usually lowered to avoid a traffic light.

Hoppypooh
01-02-2008, 06:11 AM
We saw the NBC coverage hosted by Nancy O'Dell and Al Roker. Aside from them constantly plugging other NBC shows and HDTV it wasn't too bad.

What was the Olympic float controversy?

lisap
01-02-2008, 06:13 AM
It was great to see it in person...the flowers were gorgeous, and floats so ornate...lots of creativity, and neat to see it all up close...something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime

I've gone a couple times as a teenager back when I didn't mind camping on the street all night. I would love to take my kids one year, but I just can't face the all-nighter. I wonder if the bleacher tickets are expensive, or even available to the average person.

bassett1976
01-02-2008, 06:34 AM
I've gone a couple times as a teenager back when I didn't mind camping on the street all night. I would love to take my kids one year, but I just can't face the all-nighter. I wonder if the bleacher tickets are expensive, or even available to the average person.

Well, if you don't want to sit out all night and still see the parade for free you can always get a spot at the end of the parade route. You'll be behind 5-10 rows of people who have camped out but you can still get really close (especially compared to the bleachers). The end of the parade doesn't have as many people watching and it is also more of a family friendly section. A lot of locals are at the end and a lot of families who come every year also go to this area.

You can also just get tickets to go into Rose Parade Park ($7 this year) on January 1 or 2. Another idea is to use an RV and get into one of the RV parking lots but that can be expensive also.

bassett1976
01-02-2008, 06:36 AM

I don't think the float itself was the controversy. The issue was that people were protesting on the labor practices in China.

Personally *getting on the soap box*, I feel that the ideals of the Olympics should be held in 2008 as the same way they were held in the ancient Olympics. Do not drag politics and war into the Olympics. *Stepping off of the soap box*

MrsGrumpy
01-02-2008, 07:52 AM

Well, if you don't want to sit out all night and still see the parade for free you can always get a spot at the end of the parade route. You'll be behind 5-10 rows of people who have camped out but you can still get really close (especially compared to the bleachers)

Well, I don't have much experience, as this was our first time, but we didn't want to camp out all night either. We left our house about 4 am and got there at 5:45. A lot of people were still asleep. We were able to find a nice little spot to spread our blanket, (for the 4 of us) behind two rows of chairs. So basically, we were the 3rd row back, and stood almost the entire time so we could see. There were a few gaps, where floats broke down and needed to be towed, so we sat down durning those times. Maybe we just got really lucky. By 6:15 the place was packed. I estimate that we were about a 1/2 mile from the end...so not at the very end, but close enough for those bands to be exhausted, and not as enthusiastic as they looked on TV. Guess that was the price we paid for not pulling an all-nighter. All in all, we had fun, and it was a nice little family adventure. :) I say go for it Lisap...just get there as early as you can.

adriennek
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM

I don't think the float itself was the controversy. The issue was that people were protesting on the labor practices in China.

It was more about overall human rights violations, religious and/or political persecution, etc. The protesters were hoping that they could get the float completely taken out of the parade (Really unrealistic, imo, considering the thing was built and ready to go. This is not a cheap endeavor.) So then they were saying that they would go out on the streets to try to protest it or stop it.

One group is going to sue the city because they were denied a permit to protest. There were some arrests of people who attempted to "disrupt" the parade with their protests. (http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_7859139)

Adrienne

karl
01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Ended up watching ABC from Phoenix, primarily because of the Colorado Blvd location. ABC (sorry Disney) plain stunk - bad/weird low sound levels that blew you out during commercials; local hosts who seemed disconnected; covered the major floats but could plainly see from aerials how many smaller floats ABC missed; too many and too long football game previews that ate parade time. The good was some of the float production segments and street reporters.

BTW, the NHL Winter Classic in Buffalo rocked!!! That was fun!

cstephens
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Been watching KTLA forever. Never really cared for the banter - still don't, but they do have a kick-butt location and great pictures of the floats. It irritated me that every time they went to a "let's listen to the band" moment, they played the audio commercial. Ummm, ok, not so much listening to the band.

lisap
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
coralmommy and Bassett--thanks for the advice. I don't mind getting up early and staking out spots--Disneyland has conditioned me well--so maybe one of these times we will try it out.
:)