PDA

View Full Version : where does the water go???

Pages : [1] 2

DonaldDuck14
07-27-2002, 06:05 PM
where does the water go when they have the water rides under rehab or when they drain the river??? is there like a huge resovoir that they put it in...and i heard it takes a couple of minutes to fill up splash mountain after its been drain. Is this true, and if yes how can they do that so fast. and how long does it take to fill up rivers of america after its rehab?

HBTiggerFan
07-27-2002, 06:38 PM
I don't know. :D sorry! :)

Darkbeer
07-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Look, they have websites that answers your question...

http://www-k12.atmos.washington.edu/k12/pilot/water_cycle/where_the_water_goes.html

http://www.nps.gov/glca/watergo.htm

:D

Ace
07-28-2002, 10:59 AM
They sell it on eBay, of course.

LightGuy20
07-28-2002, 01:29 PM
No! Don't give them any ideas!

-----

DISNEYLAND Rivers of America Water

Highlighted by an very detailed scent, this vial of water is an authentic theme-park artifact salvaged from the banks of the Rivers of America, which was drained in January 2003 after 48 years as the home of Disneyland's Mark Twain and Sailing Ship Columbia (not to mention many ducks).

SIZE: approx. 2" x 4"

MATERIALS: water, glass, and other media _

CONDITION: Item exhibits some wear and damage consistent with long-term installation and subsequent removal and handling, including but not limited to scratches, cracks, screw and nail holes, frayed surfaces, discoloration and uneven edges. Specific wear and damage may differ from example shown in photo. _

Following checkout and authorization, please allow 14 business days for delivery of this item.

A Disney Auctions Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this item upon delivery.

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 01:52 PM
I have a friend that took an empty arrowhead water bottle and filled it with PotC water. Put it on ebay as a joke (saying it had that authentic "PotC scent"). There weren't any actual bids, but he did get people emailing him asking if he had a "certificate of authenticity"... these people scare me.

Like you can't just print up a certificate of authenticity on the computer!!!

mrfantasmic
07-28-2002, 02:19 PM
So, uh, nobody knows?

Cadaverous Pallor
07-28-2002, 06:05 PM
My rather uneducated guess is that they just dump the old water down the drain. It's a good excuse to put fresh water in. I don't know about refill times either.

The big question is - what about the fish and other such life down there (dare I say freakishly big crayfish)?

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
The big question is - what about the fish and other such life down there (dare I say freakishly big crayfish)?

Haven't you ever wondered what was in those gumbo bowls?

Not Afraid
07-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

I think you know the answer to this one - remember crawfish jerky?

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I think you know the answer to this one - remember crawfish jerky?

With the crawfish brain puree dipping sauce? Man, those things were excellent! If only they hadn't replaced that with a McDonalds...

Not Afraid
07-28-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy

With the crawfish brain puree dipping sauce? Man, those things were excellent! If only they hadn't replaced that with a McDonalds...

Unfortunantely, I am quite serious about the crawfish jerky they were selling in Le Gourmet. I found it right after "Sebastian" was murdered near the wishing well. It was a very surreal find.

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Unfortunantely, I am quite serious about the crawfish jerky they were selling in Le Gourmet. I found it right after "Sebastian" was murdered near the wishing well. It was a very surreal find.

Really? Did you buy it and eat it? Blech -- not to my taste anyway. Shrimp and crawfish are spiders of the aquatic world. But people really do suck out crawfish brains, as I learned so graphically from my ex. Eew eew eew. :eek:

Lost Boy
07-28-2002, 07:39 PM
Back on track here, the water from all Disneyland lakes, rivers, lagoons, etc are all connected. The water from Jungle Cruise flows undergroung into Rivers of America, which is pumped up to Slpash Mountain and then to the back of the Park where it goes thru cleaning processes and then is pumped over to Big Thunder. From there it goes to StoryBookland, Matterhorn, Submarine Lagoon where it is super filtered and cleaned. It then goes thru to the Castle Moat and from there the little river that runs over to Adventureland, where it ends up back where it started. It is a very complex system and I found out about it from an article in an old issue of Disneyland Line (I have a collection that goes back quite a few years). So. for instance if the wish to drain the River of America, they just drain the water out and send it on to the next stop and the water from Jungle Cruise just bypasses Rivers of America and goes on to the next stop. Then to refill, they just route the water back and it fill up rather quickly. They pump thousands of gallons of water a minute all thru the Park.

Morrigoon
07-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Lost boy: cute, but you're mixing dark and clear water.

Lost Boy
07-28-2002, 07:56 PM
If you read my post again, there are cleaning at purifying stations all along the route that clean and filter the water between major bodies of water. The Submarine Lagoon has the largest and most filtered of all the water systems. The article in Line even had a diagram of the entire pipe and pump stations throughout the Park. I wondered about this also when I first heard about it, but filtering and water purifying seems to take care of that problem.

Nigel2
07-28-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy

Really? Did you buy it and eat it? Blech -- not to my taste anyway. Shrimp and crawfish are spiders of the aquatic world. But people really do suck out crawfish brains, as I learned so graphically from my ex. Eew eew eew. :eek:

Actually I think they may be closer to roaches, but that is only if they are close to lobsters.:eek: :D

Oh and that bottled disneyland water thing, I think I heard it before (possibly it was relayed from you to someone else then to me) but heck just take a photo of you getting it and you have some authenticity.:D

Hyperboy
07-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Oh and that bottled disneyland water thing...
I think I posted that a while back on another thread.

Does water filtering filter out the dye they put into the bodies of water? (i.e. the Jungle Cruise "Tidy Bowl" motif)

kranders
07-29-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
If you read my post again, there are cleaning at purifying stations all along the route that clean and filter the water between major bodies of water. The Submarine Lagoon has the largest and most filtered of all the water systems. The article in Line even had a diagram of the entire pipe and pump stations throughout the Park. I wondered about this also when I first heard about it, but filtering and water purifying seems to take care of that problem.
You don't really believe this, do you???

Bill Catherall
07-29-2002, 07:14 AM
Although I have heard before that all the water in Disneyland was connected I've always wondered why. Why go to all that expense of filtering, and filtering, and filtering? I would imagine that keeping everything disconnected and managing the water cleanliness seperately would be much cheaper and easier.

MonorailMan
07-29-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by kranders

You don't really believe this, do you???

I always trust LB for my DLR info. :D

Ace
07-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

I always trust LB for my DLR info. :D

I second that emotion.

Ghoulish Delight
07-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
[B]If you read my post again, there are cleaning at purifying stations all along the route that clean and filter the water between major bodies of water. [B]Yeah, I read your post. According to your route, it goes dierectly from ROA to Splash, no cleaning. The water in Splash is clear. The water in ROA is, obviously, not. Someone is pulling someone's leg here.

I'm with Bill. This seems needlessly complicated. The number of pumps, the ammount of cleaning, and the overall technical complication of such a system seem far greater than simply having individual, closed systems for each water area.

Of course, the one thing I DO know is that the Big Thunder water joins the ROA. That you can actually see. So obviously some of the water is linked. I would not be surprised to find out that the River, Big Thunder, and Jungle Cruise are linked. I would be pretty surprised to find out that Pirates and Splash are on that same system. I mean, we'd have to believe that they continually remove, and then re-add the green dye to the water as it passes from the ROA to other, clear areas, then back. Needlessly redundant when they can just cycle all the green water between the few areas that have it.

Main Street Magic
07-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Now I am going back a bit here, but as everyone here is aware the bodies of water in DL are NOT linked. I recall back in 1969 they drained the Rivers of America (which took almost a day) and then to fill it back up they used the fire hydrants on the dock. Where did the water go? I imagine public utilities knows.....

innerSpaceman
07-29-2002, 02:07 PM
The dark water systems in Disneyland are indeed linked. That would be RoA, Jungle Cruise rivers, hub and castle moat, and the former motor boat cruise. Clear water systems as in Splash Mtn. and the former submarine lagoon are kept separate. Lost Boy was very close on this, but just off on the sub. lagoon. It is not filters that keep the water clear enough for underwater viewing; this body of water is an entirely separate system. Though the two systems come within inches of each other (creating a joining illusion where Splash meets RoA and where defunct MB Cruise water meets defunct submarine water), the systems are entirely separate.

Now you may think that this is an expensive way to deal with the water situation in the Park, but lemme assure you it is not so. It may not be cheap, but it is the most economical solution to the Park's waterway situation. The purely visual, entertainment-based and not maintenance-based portion of the pumping systems were eliminated a few years back - spelling the demise of Cascade Peak and its beautiful waterfalls.

I got this info from an excellent article in The "E" Ticket from about a year or so back, which included a great schematic diagram of the whole complicated system. While Lost Boy is indeed an incredibly reliable source about Disneyland, nothing beats The "E" Ticket for the inside scoop.