PDA

View Full Version : Buying in Florida for a chance at Calif.

Ms.Pecks
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
We just purchased 225 points at Saratoga Springs expressly for the purpose of getting in on the ground floor of the new Grand Calif. units being built right now. Since there are just a limited number of DVC units being built, we figured the only way to make sure we get a crack at the DL units is to buy in right now. Am I wrong? We vacation at Disneyland, staying on property at least 4 weeks a year.

Darkbeer
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I think you are wrong, there will be about 50 DVC units in Anaheim at the GCH, and the owners will have first choice, and a "better deal" than those who want to trade points into getting into the location. (If each person buys about a weeks worth of points, that is over 2,500 folks that have first rights to the GCH location).

If you want the Anaheim units, you should buy the GCH package when they go on sale.

You might be able to make a deal and sell your Orlando points on the open market and then purchase the GCH points when they go on sale. You might have to pay a bit extra up front, but you will have the rights to GCH, and especially in the first few years, it will be very hard to use your points on the Anaheim location.

JeffG
10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure how exactly to interpret the question here. Are you asking if you are likely to get "first crack" at GCH reservations using your existing Saratoga Springs points or are you hoping that the right to purchase home resort points at GCH will be offered to existing DVC members ahead of the rest of the general public? If it is the former, then what Darkbeer said is almost certainly correct. Those who have the GCH as their home resort will always be able to make reservations 11 months in advance while those with points at other resorts will only be able to make reservations 7 months in advance. With the limited number of rooms available, it seems likely that a pretty large percentage of the reservations will be snapped up during the home reservation window.

If you are hoping for first crack at buying into the GCH as your home resort, then that is a distinct possibility. I do have some doubts about whether that approach makes much sense, though, unless you genuinely intend to do a fair amount of vacationing in Florida as well. I tend to doubt that the GCH points will sell out so quickly that the existing member advantage will be all that important.

-Jeff

Duane
10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll bet the cost per point and maintenance fees will be considerably higher at the Grand Californian. The Contemporary maintenance fees will probably be a lot higher than the other resorts too. I currently own at Saratoga Springs and always book another resort. I constantly read about how difficult it is to find availability at other resorts but I've always been able to book them. I hope I'm not mistaken but I'm predicting availability during the 7 month window as long as it's not peak travel season.

DVC Mike
10-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll bet the cost per point and maintenance fees will be considerably higher at the Grand Californian.

I'm not sure about the annual maintenance, as there won't be a "transportation" cost (buses) for the GC. On the other hand, the other costs may be higher in CA than FL.

DisneyPrincessCat
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
And that is why I do not belong to DVC...too complicated to get what you want...I'd rather book a vacation a year ahead and go to the resorts I like and not worry about points or when I can book another member's *home* resort...Not for me.

dpstang
10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Will Current DVC owners in Florida get to purchase at GC Disneyland before the general public?

Tony
10-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Will Current DVC owners in Florida get to purchase at GC Disneyland before the general public?

Based on prior history, yes

DVC Mike
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Yes, however there will apparently be a special presales opportunity for those DVC members who purchased their DVC membership at Disneyland.

They will get first shot at GCV, followed by the DVC mebers who bought at WDW and in Chicago, and then the general public.

Ms.Pecks
10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
We did purchase at Disneyland with the understanding that we would be offered the GC DVC units first. By the way, we love Florida and will be using our points there also. If we don't buy into GCH, it's no big deal anyway as we can still use our points to book rooms at the three resort hotels. We had two exsisting reservations at the DL and PP that we changed from cash to points without any problem after we bought in.