PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Attraction stuff Part 2 [Spoilers]

Lost Boy
07-24-2002, 09:13 PM
When I was at the Park this last weekend, a couple of things happened concering one of our favorite non-Disney attractions at Disneyland. I rode Indy first thing Saturday morning and this is what I noticed:
First, there was no voice of Mara in the first chamber before entering the hall of promise.
The first part of the bug room was not working.
The laser beam from the eye of Mara was not working, though the smoke coming out of the snakes mouths was.
The demon scrim did not appear to be lit.
There was no fog/smoke covering the water at the bottom of the bubbling pit, so you could very plainly see the spotlights under the water providing the light, but no fog to light up.
There was no sound at all, no music, no sound effects, no nothing all thru the entrance into the rat chamber to the end of the Dart Tunnel. The compressed air worked, but you could hear the pressure sound of air being fired as there was no sound effects to cover it up.

I really hope this is not a portent of things to come. I hope they just don't let this attraction destroy itself piece by piece.

Also, in talking to another Imagineer that Sunday, I found that I have made a serious error in describing one of the ride secrets. Never let it be said that I don't own up to my mistakes/misunderstandings. So here it is as best as I can describe the correction:

The room with 5 doors, with only three being seen at one time is all wrong. There are only three doors. they all work. It's not just the wall that move, its the whole room that moves. You have to picture this as best you can. There is a hallway with an opening at one end that the car enters into. In front of this hallway is a room with three doors that moves on a pivot base so that the room swings from side to side like a triangle pivoting on it's point (which is the point closest to the load area room. When the car enters the room only one door is lined up with the hallway opening. After the car enters the hallway, the entire room moves one door postion so that the next door is now lined up with the hallway opening, and so on and so on. Now, it is important to remember that the walls ceiling, floor and doors move all at the same time. This is much more massive a move than the way I originaly was told about the room. I don't know where the misunderstanding was, but it means two things. First, I had to let you know about it, and second, I have to redo that part of my Indiana Jones Ride model. Oh the pain. And here I am trying to start work on TOT.
:crying: :( :eek:

Ace
07-24-2002, 09:18 PM
Do you have pictures you could post of your model? I was thinking of doing that but then I realized that it would end up looking like c-rud.

Lost Boy
07-24-2002, 10:04 PM
Not yet, but soon all the dioramas and models will be posted. I need a camera first. Working on it.
The Indiana Jones will be tuff to photograph as it is in a large building-like box all decorated on the outside with holes blasted into the "walls" that you look through to see the various parts of the ride. Also the roof and second floor lift out to show the ride in greater detail. It will not be easy to shoot properly. But I will give it a try someday.
;)

Ace
07-24-2002, 10:13 PM
do the cars....... (prepare to raise drool shields) move????????????

Lost Boy
07-24-2002, 10:19 PM
No, because the track is actually "n" gage model train cork train track bed and has really sharp curves in it. I can't find battery operated cars small enough to fit the track, and getting "n" gage train things would require wiring the track for electic power and would make the project cost soar thru the roof. Can't afford that now as I am trying to set up shelving and light effect for my Apartment/Disney Museum that I am working on after moving into my own place. It's costing a small fortune and taking forever to get evrything over here. Have been at it scince April and am only 1/3 moved in. Lots of stuff yet to bring over. It's really crazy. And I want to build a TOT model while doing all this other stuff, plus doing video sets on Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas. I MUST BE CRAZY!!!
:rolleyes:

Ace
07-24-2002, 10:32 PM
yeah... we're all crazy here. And if you're going to be crazy (or obsessive or hyper or excited or (insert word here)) about one thing in the whole wide world.... it should be Disneyland.

Nigel2
07-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey, what do you know, I was right in my guessing that there were only 3 doors. I always never got that whole several doors approach because the walls would shift as well.:)

Also, about the lack of fog over the bubbling pit of death, be glad you had water, I was there once and there was no water, just fog.

Lost Boy
07-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Well, seems the info I got Saturday was from an Imagineer who held a grudge that I got to talk to Tony Baxter so much. After I posted this thread, a very nice castmember who works at Indy and posts here, emailed me to say that he was pretty sure my original version of 5 doors, with 2 always hidden by moving walls was the correct one. So he walked the ride last night and emailed me again tonight to tell me that absolutely, 100% true is the original version, from Tony. There are 5 doors. 3 are always visible. The car always goes thru the same door as only the walls move to cover 1 or 2 doors on each side of the real door. The area above the doors with the faces of Mara move with the walls so they are always in the right sequence.

Nigel2, email me in private and I will email you back a drawing of the room that will work in Word so you you can see how it works.

Sorry about all this, but when these rides get this complicated, well....

You should see what I am going thru with TOT.:D

Nigel2
07-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Awww...drat. It's ok, you don't have to do that, odds are I have seen it before (way before MP). :)