PDA

View Full Version : Character Meals-What's the attraction?

stevemo
07-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Could anyone please explain the attraction of character meals? I love Disneyland but have no desire to eat while characters dance and frolic about. Disneyland seems to be turning their great dining options into character meals one by one. Will we have Cpt. Hook and Mr. Smee at the Blue Bayou next. Some will say that it is for the kids. Does every dining experience have to be for kids? Can't the characters be found throughout the park? And what is up with this Birthdays at Disneyland thing? They displaced a great dining spot with that.

stinkerbell
07-24-2002, 06:29 PM
I agree and disagree with you a bit on your post.

I would eat at Goofy's Kitchen, with or without the characters, because the food is THAT good. I love it. The fact that there are characters prancing about, for our family with three kids is almost beside the point. The kids DO enjoy the characters, just not as much as we all love and appreciate the high quality and variety of food at this buffet. Next time we visit, we plan to eat there again at least once, as well as the tea with Mary Poppins. That is a separate character experience, and one that we really looking forward to.

I'm all for themed dining. I don't need characters running around, and for the most part, neither do my kids. I am a little disappointed in the Happiest Birthdays on Earth being where it is. I haven't been there to see it yet, and when I do, it'll be for my daughter's birthday, so I'm sure I'll appreciate it more than the average visitor who isn't there celebrating a birthday.

And I have to point out that there are not A LOT of character dining locations in relation to the other dining options at the DLR.

roberts1398
07-24-2002, 07:21 PM
Gee Stevemo... little on the party-pooper side there... I'd say you don't understand because you're not 5 years old, and I'm guessing you don't have any kids. When you do, let's talk! Then you begin to relive your own childhood, this time thru your kids' eyes. That's the appeal of the character breakfast.

Relax... I'm quite sure there's no danger of them taking over at BB. There are only 4 locations to my knowledge doing them, out of how many dozens of eating establishments at DLR???

I would say the expansion to the 4 locations is because they're doing the business to justify it. I understand that most of these sell out regularly. The moment they're not, I'm sure they'll whittle them down. But as long as there's a market, they'll try to fill it, I'm sure! :cool:

coronamouseman
07-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Character breakfasts are a great attraction for families with kids and a great moneymaker for Disney - a match made in heaven.

With kids always standing in line to get autographs or pictures, it is certainly easier when they have the characters to themselves in a restaurant area. Too bad for the folks who have to shell out $15-$20 per person for what should have been a $7.95 buffet, but that's entertainment Disney style.

Remember one of the cardinal rules of Disney theme parks - wherever the kids may go their parents (equivalent of self-propelled wallets in this instance) will follow and shell out for food, gifts and souveniers to make the little ones happy.

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2002, 08:15 PM
I LOVE the character dining! But let's put it in a family perspective:

Option A) Minnie Mouse on Main Street. "Oh my gosh mom! Look! Minnie!" "No no no dear, we don't have time to wait for her, and then people will just push us out of the way anyways."

Option B) Minnie Mouse in Goofy's Kitchen. "La dee da. . . Mmmmmm, Good food! OH MY GOSH! Minnie Mouse is coming to our table to give US attention! And look! Al lthe characters are gonna go do a dance! How funny!"

Personally, I'd go for option B. Anyways, there are Only a few Character Dining experiences: Goofy's Kitchen (DL Hotel), PCH Grill (Paradise Pier Hotel), Tea with Mary Poppins (don't know exactly where), Avalon Cove (DCA), and Plaza Inn Breakfast (DL).

I wouldn't really count the birthdays as DINING experiences. . . more of a dessert with a cameo.

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Oops, I forgot, Storyteller's Cafe breakfast at Grand Californian. :D