PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship

Pages : [1] 2

mousketeer
07-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Why can't Disneyland get many of it's rides sponsored by corporations. I saw the Tokyo Disneyland website, and virtually EVERY ride is sponsored by a company/corporation. If Disneyland could, they could have a bigger budget for better attractions and rehabs/inprovements. Maybe I'm missing something, but can someone clarify this question for me. It just seems very odd.

swcrazy
07-24-2002, 04:42 PM
From what I've seen it's hard for them to find sponsors for all of the rides. Take for instance the now dead Rocket Rods. Disney tried to find a sponsor but no one could afford new tires for all the vehicles every week or sooner. It takes a lot of money and many companies don't feel that putting up the money for a ride in addition to some advertising is worth it.

Do consider however the many rides that do have sponsors: Indian Jones, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Autopia, It's a Small World, Believe... There's Magic in the Stars, and I'm sure many other attractions that I'm missing.

Hope that helps clear things up. :D

Brat
07-24-2002, 04:47 PM
It seems to me that some of the rides have sponsors...
Indiana Jones, The Tiki Room, Space Mountain, Star Tours... Can't think of any other ones off the top of my head. I thought alot of the rides used to have sponsors, but they pulled out because it wasn't getting them anything in return. (Think Dole & the Tiki Room, they are quite disappointed with the state of affairs there, but it doesn't seemed to have helped the Tiki Room much.) Can anyone think of rides that used to have sponsors who pulled out?

Techie7
07-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Brat
Can anyone think of rides that used to have sponsors who pulled out?

Not really rides but Mondavi and Wolfgang Puck both pulled out of DCA

stevemo
07-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Bank of America used to sponser IASW, but I don't think that IASW has a sponser now. Scads of restaurants have sponsers, El Zocalo, that Carnation place, etc.

Techie7
07-24-2002, 05:02 PM
I thought IASW was sponsored by mattel. Or am I thinking waaaay back

goofey
07-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Star Tours had its sponsor changed from M&M's to the current sponsor, Energizer, a few years back. And I'm pretty sure Small World is no longer sponsored by Mattel.

mousketeer
07-24-2002, 05:10 PM
Back to my question, why can TDL get all of it's rides sponsored but Disneyland can't even get half?

HBTiggerFan
07-24-2002, 05:18 PM
maybe because coperations see TDL as a "quality theme park" that will be "kept up" while they see DL and DLR as "a has-been theme park" that is "being run into the ground" by "current management"

Also, companies these days are going bankrupt left and right. A sponser here today, gone tomorrow

Techie7
07-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Another reason very well could be that many companies have been alienated by the Disney Corp and its CEO. TDL has different management which might wine and dine corporations more. The other problem DL has is that many sponsors don't want to sponsor an old attraction that is falling apart. AT&T got the lucky end of this deal when they sponsored Indy. They will have a functioning attraction for a few more years (though it too has been running into many problems recently).

coronamouseman
07-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Couple of comments:

(1) There are some DL and WDW rides with sponsors - Star Tours, Indy (AT&T I believe), FED EX (Space Mt.) They did seem to be a lot more prevalent in the past however. Remember, after the LA Summer Olympics every corporation in the country wanted its name on sports areans, events and anywhere else a crowd might show up.

(2) Not surprising that Tokyo Disneyland has so many sponsors of attractions - Tokyo Disneyland is the most heavily attended Disney park in the world and it occupies a treasured place in the Japanese culture - what sponsor would not want to be seen in that light? Also, OLC is the owner and perhaps they have a better plan or scheme for incorporating sponsors than Disney does in the states.......

Nigel2
07-24-2002, 10:21 PM
Well first off I can't beleive you all forgot an attraction that is one big sponsership showcase, Innoventions.:)

Also, weren't there rumors of Fedex pulling out of Space Mtn.? (They may just not renew the contract)

The train I think use to have the Santa Fe sponsership as well.

Peoplemover:rolleyes: Goodyear

Autopia, Chevron.

Cpt. EO, Honey I shrunk the audience, Kodak.

I bet there are more like Aunt Jemimia and so forth but they escape me.

Also as noted above, TDS and TDL are owned by the OLC, it's kinda like their park has a disney sponsorship and they collect more money. Plus it's all connection and OLC may have better ones.

Main Street Magic
07-25-2002, 10:43 AM
sponsorship? I can think of a bunch of 'oldies'. I go back to The Goldenhorse Review (Pepsi!), and the Pirate Ship in Fantasyland (Chicken of the Sea)....As someone previously mentioned, IASW was Bank of America and my favorite was Great Moments with Mr Lincoln (Lincoln Savings and Loan). The Tiki Room had Dole as a sponsor and I am sure that there are some I am missing......

Nigel2
07-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey, didn't wonderbread also sponser the GH when it had it's last form of the review? Don't forget the coca-cola terrice.:D

merlinjones
07-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Monsanto - Adventure Thru Inner Space
Monsanto - House of the Future
General Electric - Carousel of Progress
Bell System (later Delta) - CircleVision
Goodyear - PeopleMover
Altantic Richfield (later Gulf, Chevron) - Autopia
Monsanto - Hall of Chemicals
Atlantic Richfield - The Story of Oil
Sherwin Williams - (House of Paint?)
Bank of America (later Mattel) - Small World
Chicken of the Sea - Pirate Ship
Wonder Bread - Country Bears
Pepsi-Cola - Golden Horseshoe
United Airlines (later Dole) - Tiki Room
TWA (later McDonnell/Douglass)- Flight to the Moon
Lincoln - Lincoln Savings
Santa Fe - Disneyland RR
FedEx - Space Mountain (there was an earlier one)
Engergizer - Star Tours
Stouffer's - Plaza Pavillion/Tahitian Terrace
Del Monte - America Sings
Kodak - Magic Journeys, Captain EO, Honey, Photo Shop
Coca-Cola - Tomorrowland Terrace, Coke Corner
Upjohn Pharmacy
Wurlitzer Organ
Wizard of Bras
Aunt Jemima Pancake House
Hills Bros - Market house
Carnation Plaza Gardens, Ice Cream Parlor

Nigel2
07-25-2002, 11:06 PM
What about Kaisers house of Aluminum?:D

Andrew
07-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Wonder Bread - Country Bears

I believe the Hungry Bear was also sponsored by Wonder Bread.

zapppop
07-26-2002, 12:04 AM
I thought it was Fantasyland Theater that was sponsored by Wonder Bread.

Nigel2
07-26-2002, 12:35 AM
Heck, it looks like wonderbread sponsered a lot of shows.

Hmmmm did Nestle sponser anything? I think they did, but it may have been at WDW not here.

Darkbeer
07-26-2002, 03:02 AM
PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) signed a 12 year sponsorship aggreement with Disneyland in 1983, and when PSA was bought by US Air (now known as US Airways), The CircleVision theater sign was changed to reflect US Air, Delta was a sponsor of Disneyworld, not Disneyland.....

http://www.catchoursmile.com/

(Great website about the history of PSA, and the smiling planes)

merlinjones
07-26-2002, 06:07 AM
>>Delta was a sponsor of Disneyworld, not Disneyland.....<<

Was it PSA and not Delta, then, that sponsored CircleVision briefly in the 80's... and had a pre-show film with Orville from Rescuers?

Also - - Kikkoman sponsored Tahitian Terrace in later years.

Sony sponsored the (new version) Fantasyland Theatre for awhile (maybe they still do).

coronamouseman
07-26-2002, 06:30 AM
N2: I think the primary focus was on sponsors of major rides and attractions where their names were posted - Innoventions has many sponsors inside but no single sponsor for the attraction itself.

A comment on Innoventions: I personally believe somebody in the Disney Marketing area really is missing he boat on Innoventions - if presented correctly and if major technology companys could be convinced to exhibit relevant, educational and/or eye-popping technology exhibits, this part of DL and Epcot could be a success.

Microsoft has all sorts of projects ongoing regarding automating your home - how about an exhibit/show showing this type of technology? You have Disney parks literally around the world - how about linking these various parks together via satellite so that guests in each can communicate with other (i.e. evening guests in DLP could interact with afternoon guests in WDW and morning guests at DL).

There are any number of companies which sponsor other events which reach a far smaller audience than a Disney park can offer - one would think that companies like Sun Microsystems or HP could really provide some dazzling exhibits or displays if given the proper motivation and exposure through the Disney marketing machine rather than just getting some 20-by-50 foot space where they can set up the remains of last year's trade show booth

The other component is fun - put in some of those attractions that DisneyQuest in Florida has like the virtual Jungle Cruise or Virtual Coaster attraction - charge a small fee to cover costs but not enough to deter families with lots of kids from participating.
I don't know if Disney plans to put DisneyQuest in DTD but until they do, they could at least put some of the cooler stuff in Innoventions and breathe some like into that place.

hefferdude
07-26-2002, 09:31 AM
maybe because coperations see TDL as a "quality theme park" that will be "kept up" while they see DL and DLR as "a has-been theme park" that is "being run into the ground" by "current management"

No offense here. TDL may be a "quality theme park" but it is
also attended largely by persons with a different cultural
and social outlook. Regional/cultural influences
attributed negatively to the initial attendence
numbers for WDW Paris.
The question might be are the greatest number of guests
likely to care about market ID and would the sponsor
see good RONA on the investment? I really couldn't care
less who sponsors an attraction. I actually avoid products
that are advertised at the beginning of
movies because I do not find it amusing to have to pay to
watch commercials in theaters. Rant Rant Rant.

Tell me if I'm over the top. I can never tell.:eek:

Ace
07-26-2002, 10:25 AM
I can't say I like sponsorship, but if it means I can go on rides like Indy and I have to look at the "Rewards await those who choose wisely" AT&T ad, then I guess that's ok. If, however, they pass "the line" and build a sponsor into a ride, like product placement in the movies, I will be extremely mad (Yes, I know, Innoventions is already like this, somewhat. Except I never want to go in there, so it's ok) . Ads don't belong at Disneyland. I see about 102987309183.3 of them everyday as it is, I don't think that I should see them at Disneyland.

off topic: How can a movie theater justify charging me $9 to see a movie and STILL show 20 minutes of ads (no, not previews. Actual advertisements.)????????????????? what the monkeys?

Bill Catherall
07-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
off topic: How can a movie theater justify charging me $9 to see a movie and STILL show 20 minutes of ads (no, not previews. Actual advertisements.)????????????????? what the monkeys?
Because movie theaters make very little money on ticket sales. The money that your beloved movie theater needs to stay in business comes from concessions and advertising. (So blame it on the studios...not the theater.)