PDA

View Full Version : Character Meals -- Suggestions?

roberts1398
07-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey, looks like we may do multiple character meals in our upcoming trip. The breakfast at Plaza Inn is included in our meal plan. But help me with two questions, please...
(1) any opinions on the Dinner Buffet at Goofy's at DLH?
(2) other than Plaza, who has the best (or most different from the Plaza) character breakfast -- Goofy's, Minnie's (at PP), or Chip & Dale's (at GC)?

Thanks for your assist...:p

saturday97
07-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Love Goofy's kitchen! But it's mainly for the kids. My son got lots of attention from the characters and we all really enjoyed the food.

stinkerbell
07-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Hi Diane! Glad to see you on the boards...... I'm a huge fan of Goofy's Kitchen. We had Courtney's fifth bday party there, and have eaten there at least twice on every visit. We all love it. The food, service and atmosphere are well worth the price. The food is so excellent and is varied~~even my picky eater gets filled up. I recommend a breakfast over the dinner, since the menu is 90% the same, but the price is steeper for dinner. I like Goofy's waaaay more than the Plaza meals. I haven't tried Minnie's, but most say they prefer Goofy's. I don't like to mess around when it comes to our character meal dollars at DL, so my safe bet is always Goofy's. We might try the Practically Perfect Tea, but I'm sure Drew wouldn't appreciate it as much as my three girls. ;)

roberts1398
07-24-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey Claire... Thanks for the advice (you too, Saturday). Claire, you say the breakfast menu has 90% of the dinner menu. Does that include Prime Rib, tho??? I gotta have my prime rib. The carnivore in me really comes out on vacation... LOL!

Sounds like a plan. So glad to hear the food's good!

MammaSilva
07-24-2002, 07:36 PM
umm the prime rib would be the 10 percent that isn't at the breakfast or lunch menu and it is yummy too! I vote that you'll love Goofys Kitchen!

stinkerbell
07-24-2002, 08:23 PM
No, no, no, Mammasilva, you know I don't often disagree with you, but I have to here. The roast beef served at lunch and breakfast is second to none and is prime. That cut of beef is the majority of the reason, I sit here and crave to be at Goofy's Kitchen right this minute. It is so succulent and wonderful! I didn't think it was any different at dinner time. In fact I'm embarrassed to admit this, but on one trip, Courtney and I ate there for an early breakfast, then thought about it so much all day, that we went back for a late dinner that same day. The menu was pretty much identical. I didn't want to claim that it was exactly identical, because I know there are people on the boards who eat there more often than me. But the roast beef that was there in the AM, was the same succulent cut that was there in the PM. It just cost quite a bit more at dinner time.......

Diane, besides the beef I'm quite taken with, there are also breakfast burritos/enchiladas, salmon, chicken, asparagus tips, waffles, pancakes with real maple syrup, pizzas (including pb&j pizza!), tons of breads and pastries, cold cuts for sandwich building, several types of eggs, an omelette bar, tons of desserts (I recommend a slab of Goofy's cake), a sundae bar with mini M&M's and hot fudge, fruits, cheeses, french toast, crepes, and they serve drinks at the table. The buffet is excellent. I've never heard a complaint about the food from even the toughest DL critic. ;) The kids get a Goofy's Kitchen button and each character visits your table at least once, some sit and stay and chat, pose for pics, etc. Usually the characters are Goofy, Pluto, a princess (We've seen Mulan, Jasmine, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty), sometimes Balou, sometimes Rafiki, sometimes Donald, Chip or Dale or both, the Mad Hatter (everytime we've been there, he's there).

Once we saw Jasmine crawl under a table to pose for a picture with a shy little boy. Once when the Mad Hatter came to our table, Courtney was at the buffet, so he stood on her chair and shouted, "COURTNEY" about ten times on top of his lungs, until she came running. Talk about your embarrassed kid. Then he sat with us for about ten minutes. Then later in the park, we saw him and he remembered her, and starts screaming, "COURTNEY!!!!!" from about 30 feet away. It made her life. It still absolutely cracks me up to picture it.

So, yes, character dining is worth the $$$, especially for Drew's first Disneyland visit!!! :D

MammaSilva
07-24-2002, 08:34 PM
wozers.... we haven't made it to Goofys the last two visits, looks like we need to make that a priority next trip, last time we did breakfast and lunch and NO prime rib in sight at either....but have had it at dinner and it was PERFECT, as good as any I've paid big bucks for .....so if they have added it to the early menus I'd say go late breakfast and call it brunch! cheapest of the 3 meals and the characters are still around....I love the personalized attention they have the time to give each table...no pushing, shoving and growling by other parents to get their childs pics with the character .....

roberts1398
07-25-2002, 08:18 AM
Wow-ee! That sounds like SOOOOOO much fun! He'll have a ball, for sure. And that way I can concentrate on grazing thru the buffet, LOL! I'm STARVING sitting here reading your post!!! I could eat my pencil!!!

I can't wait!

mousey_girl
07-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Please make sure you call welllllllllll in advance for your reservations. They fill up very fast, even for breakfast. We once tried to go to Goofy's for dinner, and it was a 4 hour wait without a res. This was not on a busy weekend either!