PDA

View Full Version : Variety has details on Aladdin

merlinjones
07-24-2002, 06:04 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20020724/stage_variety/aladdin_1

Sailor Butterfly
07-24-2002, 07:33 AM
"But my focus is on the theme parks." Yeah, right.

Rallymonkey23
07-24-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
"But my focus is on the theme parks."

AHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's some funny stuff! :D

JeffG
07-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Why is that so funny? She is in charge of stage shows for the theme parks and is developing a show for a theme park, so it does seem clear that is where her focus would be.

I really can't understand this kind of out-of-control cynicism. Perhaps the show won't be any good, but it certainly sounds like an exciting project with some interesting talent behind it.

-Jeff

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2002, 10:21 AM
It's funny because the new Aladdin show is Anne's lovechild, which she hopes goes on to Broadway. You know, like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. . . Hey, whatever happened to that Pinnocchio idea they had, anyways?

Broadway? That doesn't seem to be inside the park at all. . .

coronamouseman
07-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Doesn't every park have a couple of live shows everyday now? Again, isn't Disney pushing this envelope further each year? And is there a whole cadre of Disney park guests who are more concerned about shows and parades than rides?

All you thrill freaks, think about what a Disney park experience would be without the thrills - would it be worth the price of admission just for top-quality shows? Is there a whole different world out there with just show and parade watchers out there?

What if Disney even when so far as to present a new short seque of the Lion King, complete with much of the props from the stage show?

yeo_foxe
07-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
Hey, whatever happened to that Pinnocchio idea they had, anyways?

Last I heard Julie Taymor was still working on it.... I'm waiting for this one with great anticipation.

I love her work! Titus and Lion King were both fantastic. I can harldy wait to see what she does with Pinnochio!!!

MonorailMan
07-24-2002, 11:25 AM
WAIT! It said:

"Aladdin" opens Dec. 9 at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim.

This means that the Hyperion will not have a show in it from Sep. to Dec. :confused:

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2002, 11:27 AM
I see nothing wrong with the fact that we'll be getting a new show. HOWEVER, I do not like three things:

1~ Why Aladdin? There are several new movies that could be stood to make a parade or a Show show (Lilo and Stitch, Monsters, Inc., Heck, even Tarzan).

2~ There is already an Aladdin show (which I LOVE, by the way) which has been downsized significantly from its former self (Aladdins Oasis~ The dinner theater spectacular) in Adventureland. Yay, TWO Aladdin shows. (yes, I just got word yesterday that the Aladdin's Oasis show in AV will be staying).

3~ The fact that Anne claims her focus is only on the parks is a very thinly veiled attempt to stake her claim on Broadway.

I mean, yay, we're getting a high quality show. But Boo that it's a movie from about ten years ago. If it were going to have been done, Why not five years ago when it was somewhat newer? Plus, no Robin Williams-style genie? Give me some raw vegetables so I may throw them, please. Yes I'll give the show a chance, and yeah, maybe it'll be good, but I still think they should have used something newer.

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2002, 11:32 AM
I forgot~ This will be the FOURTH time Aladdin is rehashed in the Resort.

1~ The Aladdin Parade
2~ Aladdin's Oasis~ The dinner theater spectacular
3~ Aladdin's Oasis~ Aladdin and Jasmine's Storytale Adventures
4~ Aladdin at the Hyperion

MonorailMan
07-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar

2~ There is already an Aladdin show (which I LOVE, by the way) which has been downsized significantly from its former self (Aladdins Oasis~ The dinner theater spectacular) in Adventureland. Yay, TWO Aladdin shows. (yes, I just got word yesterday that the Aladdin's Oasis show in AV will be staying).

There Is? I know AO is there, but there's never a show in it. :(

Uncle Dick
07-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

There Is? I know AO is there, but there's never a show in it. :(
Aladdin and Jasmine's StoryTale Adventures is performed about 8 times a day inside Aladdin's Oasis. It's very entertaining, especially compared to some of the other shows inside Disneyland.

Rallymonkey23
07-24-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
Why is that so funny? She is in charge of stage shows for the theme parks and is developing a show for a theme park, so it does seem clear that is where her focus would be.

Take a look at Mickey's Detective School. Then while your at it, watch the Parade Of The Stars. Then go to Tommorrowland (If you wanna call it that) and watch the Buzz Lightyear show. Then while your at it, go to DCA and watch the Monsters Inc. show. And don't forget the pizza advertising show, Lilo And Stitch.

If her main focus is on the parks, then what are we getting these shows that insult my intellegence? Sure, the kids love them. But I guess I just miss them quality shows they had. Beauty And The Beast and Pocahontas comes to mind when I think of "good" Disney shows. Maybe we are getting these "poor quality" shows because she is too focused on the Alladin show? We'll soon find out.