PDA

View Full Version : Aussies at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalSnowWhite
09-27-2007, 11:39 PM
We stayed overnight at the Disneyland Hotel on Tuesday and everywhere I turned there was an Aussie accent!!! I was surrounded by them in the pool, walking through the lobby and all over Downtown Disney! Yes, I know people from many countries come to Disneyland, but this seemed like a rather large amount of a specific population of people.

I was just curious, was there some kind of convention in Anaheim? It is vacation time down under and great deals were being offered to go to Disneyland? This was way bigger than a family reunion and my curiousity was peaked.

Anybody have an answer? :confused::)

hefferdude
09-28-2007, 08:59 AM
We meet a lot of Aussies staying at Hojo's. A lot of guests are doing the west coast and include San Diego and the bay area. Great people. Much more relaxed than your average Yank. Hanging out in the hot tub having a few beers ( Fosters? ) after Dland closed one night, had to ask about the "shrimp on the barbie" thing. :D Was surprised when I was told that it not all that common as BBQing shrimp is expensive so it would be a fancy invite at that. Australia is heading into spring. Maybe its a spring break?

codewoman
09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
I worked for an Australian company for 8 years (Burns Philp, for those familiar) and the Australians are a traveling people! I'm not sure if this is a big travel time for them, or not, but traveling as much as they do, they would probably be looking for the nice warm weather and off-season pricing that the Happiest Place on Earth is offering right now. And since they are just heading into Spring, it would be a nice way to get over the winter blahs.

Also, they are some of the friendliest people I've ever met. When I was in Australia (Sydney) I was bowled over by how kind and polite everyone was. Also, the exchange rate favored the US at the time, so I could really get some good travel for my money. Perhaps the tables have turned and the Australians are finding their money going further in the US. If so, we're in for a good time!

DizneyMommy
09-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Most Australians are out of school for 2 weeks at the mid/end of September and into early October. I am sure they realize that this is a great time to go to DL because our kids are not out of school so the parks are light. I have a friend whose stepfather is from Australia and his kids from his first marriage always come to CA to check out DL during off-peak times because they get weird breaks from school, not just a big summer like we do.

Here is a site link that has Aussie school holidays and breaks listed
http://www.australiatravelsearch.com.au/trc/hols.html

Jim Dear and Darling
09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
We met TONS of Aussies at the HoJo's last week too! Oh, how I love those accents.

PanFan
09-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I signed in my aunt and uncle from Australia on Wednesday. They were in town briefly on their way to Utah to visit my aunt's (and my mom's) family, which itself is a pit stop on their way to Africa to do some work with Mercy Ships. My uncle is a pastor and their kids are out of school, so they're not really bound by any annual schedule. They just happened to be in the area and I happened to be able to sign them in. They sure had fun!

DangerMouse
09-28-2007, 05:50 PM
The HoJo seems to have quite a large Aussie fan base. Every time we are there we run into people from Australia.

emmah
09-28-2007, 06:58 PM
We stayed overnight at the Disneyland Hotel on Tuesday and everywhere I turned there was an Aussie accent!!! I was surrounded by them in the pool, walking through the lobby and all over Downtown Disney! Anybody have an answer? :confused::)

a) it's school holidays here right now; and

b) the australian dollar is doing amazing things compared to the greenback - it's at just under 90 cents at the moment, which makes going to the US very affordable compared to Europe; and

c) Qantas (our national carrier) has a really great deal with Hojos - its cheap as chips when you book your holiday through them.

:)

kylieh
09-28-2007, 10:08 PM
It's almost expected of us Aussies to travel the world - almost everyone I know has travelled OS at least once, often multiple times. It's a 13+ hour flight from Sydney to LA, and most don't think of it as "a long flight".

Plus as mentioned October school holidays, good exchange rate, still warm in the US, why not?

SoCalSnowWhite
09-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Mystery solved! Thanks. :)

It was fun just listening to the different slang and,of course, the accent.

Iana
09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi,
Just one thing.
We don't have an accent, it's you guys who do!! :)

emmah
09-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi,
Just one thing.

hee - ain't that the truth! my first trip to DL without my parents, on a stopover on my way to london, I was waiting in the queue outside the gates feeling completely overloaded listening to all the different accents around me and gradually realised that I couldn't tell where the people directly behind me were from - it was kind of like they were 'invisible'. i very quietly turned around to see who they were and they were all wearing allblacks supporters jerseys - it was the first time that I ever realised that you can not 'hear' your own accent.

SoCalSnowWhite
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi,
Just one thing.

Oh, but ours sounds so blah! And we have many different ones: Midwest, Jersey, California, Wisconsin...

Still, I can't think that an American accent could sound cool to anyone. :(

maverick25
10-01-2007, 02:35 AM
because they get weird breaks from school, not just a big summer like we do.

lol, yes, we get a big-ish break over our summer, a couple of weeks at the end of December, all of January, and about the first week in Feb we have off.

We also have a 2 week break, based around Easter.

But I've found a great time for a holiday to a warmer location is just as the weather is changing from winter to spring, because you can go away when it's cold and bleck, and then return to slightly warmer weather, which is what we Aussies are going through at the moment.

Plus as was said, our dollar is doing well against yours at the moment. :)

MickeyDogMom
10-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Still, I can't think that an American accent could sound cool to anyone. :(

I've met quite a few foreigners who think the Cali accent is cool. But you have to say hecka, like, dude, and y' know a lot. But most agree that the Southern drawl is very cool.

DarkRider
10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
OZZY OZZY OZZY! I toured a month in Europe with a busload of Ozzies and they were the friendliest people I've ever met.

maverick25
10-02-2007, 02:39 AM
OZZY OZZY OZZY!

Oi Oi Oi!

:D

spectromen
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Proof positive that HoJo's knows how to market their property!

Cookiedude
10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Okay, had to make my first post to say you guys are insane!

The one thing I DO NOT want to hear when I go to DL is another aussie accent :p When at home I try to pretend I don't sound like that but when surrounded by american accents you are suddenly made acutely aware of how ocker (i.e. awfully australian) you sound. It is quite possibly the worst accent ever invented. Cali accent however, way cool.

Also nobody can ever understand me when I go to the states and for some reason they all think I'm from England :eek:

And no we never toss a shrimp on the barbie because it's called a prawn, people. Prawn. :D

As for long flights, dude, I'm doing the leg from Singapore and it's 16 hours. That's looooooooooooooooooong. Especially with 4 kids under 10.

emmah
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
surrounded by american accents you are suddenly made acutely aware of how ocker (i.e. awfully australian) you sound. It is quite possibly the worst accent ever invented.

OK, so I don't want to start a war here (not until the world cup is safely back home where it belongs!!!:~D) but ... I have to agree. After 6 years in Melbourne I am slowly becoming acclimatised to it, but when I was living in Vancouver, my BFs BGF rang and left a message for him, on my answering machine. I *could not* understand a word she was saying. It was totally hideously frightening, because I had just committed to following him back here and couldn't imagine what I had let myself in for. But it does grow on you, or at least, you learn to live with it. Although I will never really accept the 'e' - penk (for pink - and no, I do not say punk), feesh (for fish, and no, i don't say fush), cheeps (chips, and no, i don't say chups).... I travel a lot, so my accent is hybrid, and I only ever 'hear' the accent of US/Canada/UK/Australia and NZ for the first few days until I have settled back in to whereever I am. so aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi. Go the AllBlacks!!!

codewoman
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
At one point I could tell Aussie from UK. Still can sometimes. Haven't quite gotten New Zeland from Australia, though. I did acclimate to the language parts easily enough. I had a co-worker with whom I would trade words (boot for trunk, etc). We tried to find as many as we could. The one thing I didn't get used to was the other side of the road thing. Whenever we went around a corner I would think we were going to get in an accident. I didn't drive over there and that was a good thing!

Bolivar
10-05-2007, 09:52 AM
What we hear in an accent is funny. I have a friend from Australia who has lived here (San Francisco) for 9 years. To me she has a strong Australian accent, but when she runs into other Aussies, they think she is an American and are surprised when she tells them she is Australian. They say she sounds American; whereas, to me she and these "new arivals" sound the same -- her accent is no less strong to me.

emmah
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
i get that a lot when i go home - i have spent the last decade living in canada, NYC, London and Melbourne and my family think I sound muckity muck and make a lot of fun of me the first few days I am home until they get used to it and I remember how to flatten out my vowels. but when i get back to australia after even a week away, i get 'wow i didn't know you were from NZ" for the first couple of days until it sorts itself out again. and when i am on the other side of the world, only the english can ever tell where i am originally from (not the scots or welsh and certainly not north americans who all think I am from the UK). accents are funny things.

Aussie MouseFan
10-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Just face it... we are trying to take over the world, one Disney theme park at a time lol

blondiemouse
10-16-2007, 09:18 AM
ask em how the rugbys going theyll love it