PDA

View Full Version : How big is Universal? [Orlando]

kittylovesthemouse
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
My son (age 10) is having a bit of a disagreement with another schoolmate over the size of Universal versus WDW. We found out WDW is 27,000 and change acres, but can't find numbers for Universal's property. Does anyone know?

Also, from maps, we "guesstimate" that Universal's property would be as big as MGM plus World Showcase plus Blizzard Beach put together. How far off are we?

Sorry for such silly questions. DS very much appreciates your help,though!

Drince88
05-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I have no idea - but I'm curious as to what the two 10-year-olds are disagreeing on: Is one saying Universal is bigger than WDW? I know that's wrong - and you could probably get that 'proven' fairly easily using something like Google maps or something like that.

kittylovesthemouse
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Ah, I see you know 10-year-olds. "My park is bigger than yours."

We're quite certain that WDW's sum total property is bigger than Universal's...but how much bigger? We also want to know, park-to-park comparison, how the parks of WDW (counting the big four plus two water parks) stack up against the parks of Universal (two parks plus one water park), sq ft to sq ft kinda thing.

Drince88
05-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Ok, not much help on the visualization level but according to this site (http://www.orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/themeparks/universal/universal.htm)
Universal Studios Escape is situated on more than 840 acres And they appear to use Universal Studios Escape to mean the whole complex, but not sure if that includes the hotels or not.

kittylovesthemouse
05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Drince! I'll inform the DS so he can go "do battle" with numbers tomorrow. :) Boys...

shellymeister
05-24-2007, 05:22 AM
The numbers I've always heard for Universal Escape usually hover between 800-1000 acres.

Universal did own another 1000 acres on the East side of I-4 (very close to the Escape property) where they had originally considered adding another 2 parks. Unfortunately, this property was sold off a few years ago when finances got tight for Universal + the aftermath of the drop in travel after 9-11.

Universal might come to regret that sale one day, because they don't have much more room to expand at this point.

WDW is about 27,000 acres, and much of it is still not developed. I don't know if anyone has a number for the total number of acres developed on the WDW property, but I doubt if it approaches 20%.

Wig
06-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Reading this, I think it's the most typical thing that makes WDW what WDW is: a place of space... if 80% is nature or something like that (I don't consider roads to be nature, but OK) it definately is not the buildup situation of most other attraction parks. IF WDW would be buildup, then it is just... GONE...

cocoabeach
06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Total property versus park size is the issue. WDW absolutely dwarfs Universal when you are talking about total property becuase they have dozens of resorts, water parks, and most of the land is still unused.

If your 10 yr old wants to compare favorably, he should compare based on rides not acreage. In terms of E ticket rides (the big ones), it is a favorable comparison. For the record, my kids like the rides at US/IOA better than Disney for what it's worth.

That said, Islands of Adventure is a "mere" 120 acres of land with the additional 20 acres they are adding for Potter and UniStudios is another 180 acres. The resorts take up more than all that and there is parking garage, etc.

Also, they still have the land across the ramp and they announced their plans to build another two resorts and some time share units in the area with room left over for two more resorts if/when the time comes.

Here is their new Master Plan map:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/256/universal1lb9.jpg

Here is a satellite view (uses MS maps)
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=28.470785~-81.467936&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3909189&sp=Point.nrb03d869q1t_Site%20D%20-%20800%20Room%208-Story%20Hotel___~Point.nrb0ys869fp6_Site%20E%20-%201%2C800%20Room%2016-Story%20Hotel_