PDA

View Full Version : The New Maps ARE Confusing......

Darkbeer
06-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Part of this report is information that I got from someone known as Westsider at LaughingPlace, and he is a CM, and guess where he works :D

Okay, I'm back from my first full day of working with the Guests using the new "Guide To The Magic" maps. Let's just put it this way.... they are confusing people. I spoke with three different families today who were very confused about what DCA was, how to get there from here, and the best way to get to the ferris wheel from here (I was standing in front of Pirates of the Caribbean at the time).

Not only that, but the new maps make DCA look just as big, if not bigger, than Disneyland. Plus, a girl I was working with had a Mother complain to her that Mickey Mouse was listed as "performing" in two different places at one time on the new maps. How is that possible she wanted to know, and how does she explain that to her child? She has a good point.

But really the new maps are just very confusing to people. I had a buddy last night on the Jungle Cruise have to get out of his boat at the dock to explain to a group of college kids why they couldn't go on the grizzly raft ride with the Disneyland tickets they bought. They just kept pointing to it on the new map, and actually got kind of jerky about the whole thing and claimed that Disneyland was using "bait and switch" tactics with them. Whatever kids.

But the map is confusing as heck to a lot of people. Not all of Disneyland's Guests pour over the details of their trip and know all the little secrets of the place. They just show up and rely on the map to get them around to things they want to see.

And finally, I'd like to close with this information Darkbeer provided. Although the maps graphics and scale portray DCA as a theme park just as big and full of things to do as Disneyland, the listing of "attractions" for each Park tells a different story. Darkbeer, please do the honors....

Current Attraction Count (based on the new Guide Maps)

Disneyland

1. Disneyland Railroad
2. Main Street Cinema
3. Fire Engine
4. Horse-Drawn Carriage
5. Horseless Carriage
6. Omnibus
7. The Walt Disney Story
8. Chip 'n Dale Treehouse
9. Donald's Boat
10. Gadget's Go Coaster
11. Goofy's Bounce House
12. Jolly Trolley
13. Mickey's House
14. Minnie's House
15. Roger Rabbit CarToon Spin
16. Enchanted Tike Room
17. Indiana Jones Adventure
18. Jungle Cruise
19. Tarzan's Treehouse
20. Haunted Mansion
21. Pirates of the Caribbean
22. The Disney Gallery
23. Splash Mountain
24. Explorer Canoes
25. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
26. Mark Twain Riverboat
27. Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
28. Sailing Ship Columbia
29. Astro Orbitor
30. Autopia
31. Disneyland Monorail
32. Honey, I shrunk the Audience
33. Innoventions
34. Space Mountain
35. Star Tours
36. The American Space Experience - Exhibit
37. Alice in Wonderland
38. Casey Jr. Circus Train
39. Dumbo
40. it's a small world
41. Mad Tea Party
42. Matterhorn
43. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
44. Peter Pan's Flight
45. Pinocchio's
46. Snow White's
47. Storybook Land Canal Boats

(I left off King Arthur's Carrousel, since it is basically not there, but you could call it 48.)

I also left off the Arcades (and why does Disney list two of the three as attractions, but not the original Penny Arcade???)

Also left off the three show venues.

Disney's California Adventure

1. California Screamin'
2. Golden Zepher
3. Jumpin Jellyfish
4. King Triton's Carousel
5. Maliboomer
6. Mulholland Madness
7. Orange Stinger
8. S.S. rustworthy
9. Sun Wheel
10. Disney Animation
11. MuppetVision
12. Millionaire - Play It (might be a show, but it is interactive...)
13. Golden Dreams
14. It's Tough to be a bug
15. Soarin' over California
16. Seasons of the Vine
17. Grizzly River Run
18. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
19. Mission Tortilla Factory
20. The Boudin Bakery

I did not list Superstar Limo, and until someone can prove that it will reopen, I refuse to count it.

I also didn't count the Bountiful Valley Farm, because it has been removed, once it is rebuilt, you can count it as 21.

Also, left off the maps are the following DCA restaurants...

Farmers Market, Malibu-Ritos, San Andreas Shakes, Between Takes, and the Fairfax market.

As Uncle Dick has pointed out, they show the old Double Decker Bus Route, that has been cancelled as of last September.

One good thing, the Safety Considerations section is larger and stands out on the new maps.

Cosmic Waves is gone (and Sleeping Beauty's Castle's walkthrough is still not listed).

OK, but TDA got there new DCA commercial into more people's hands, and i guess that is what really matters....

Off topic, I just watched the beginning of the Local 6 PM NBC news, and the opening story was the USA vs Mexico Soccer game, and they spent 5 minutes talking about it (WOW!!!)
:D

cstephens
06-16-2002, 10:12 PM
I like the new map, and I don't think it's any more confusing than the old maps were. A map of a place you don't know is going to be confusing for a lot of people. I've had to help people who, looking at the old DL map, couldn't figure out how to get from Village Haus to Toontown. I've had to direct people who couldn't figure out how to get to the restrooms on Main Street that are behind Carnation Cafe.

Originally posted by Darkbeer
Also, left off the maps are the following DCA restaurants...

Farmers Market, Malibu-Ritos, San Andreas Shakes, Between Takes, and the Fairfax market.

That's because most of those places haven't been open in some time, and seemingly, won't be. Farmer's Market hasn't been open in months, and benches now form a barrier to the entrance, and if you manage to get up to the window and look in, the space is serving as a storage center for the fuzzy Monsters Inc. chairs. Maliburritos hasn't been open in months either, nor has San Andreas Shakes. I don't think I've ever seen Between Takes open, and I'm not sure which one is specifically the Fairfax market.

So anyone want to take bets on exactly how many threads will be started about the new maps? They seem to be multiplying like rabbits. Guess everyone wants to just start their own thread rather than contributing to an existing one.

Darkbeer
06-19-2002, 05:45 PM
OK, just got and watched the free DL vacation planning video... (nice video, well done) on the tape the announcers states "With over 85 attractions, 21 shows, 3 parades, 70 restaurants and 91 shops"...

My attraction count only has about 70 attractions, so where are the missing attractions???????