PDA

View Full Version : Tipping scares me! Help.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JustMe29
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
We leave in 18 hours and I've just remembered that I have to tip in the US...

I can't remember how and how much and when?

Any help would be appreciated...

Eg - how much to the taxi driver, how much when out to dinner??

adriennek
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Tipping at restaurants:

When you're at a restaurant with a waiter or waitress, minimum tip is 15% for decent service. For good service, give 15 to 20%. Many tip closer to 20% but 15% is minimum.

If you're at a buffet or a restaurant like Sizzler where you order and pay at a counter and the food is brought to your table, but the server does not take your order or give you a check, 15% might be a little high. You might tip 10% to 15% there (will I get flamed for that??)

I don't use taxis so I can't help with that answer.

For bellhops at hotels, you would tip about $1 a bag if they bring your bags to your room or take them from your room down to a taxi.

Hope that helps!
Adrienne

Malcon10t
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
At the hotel, $3 a day for the maids is about average. Tip at restaurants is pretty easy. Take the tax an ddouble it for the tip. If you had really good service, add a couple dollars. The buffets at Disneyland include the tip, but if you have incredibly good service (we had fantastic service last trip) leave a couple more dollars at the table.

june1st1997
03-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Taxi tipping.. 5% - 10%. A little extra if you have lots of bags. That's for LA.. New york is totally different... there it's an extra $2 on top of the fare. But hey I tip like Frank Sinatra... So whatever you are comfortable with.

Have a great trip!:D

jcruise86
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
. . .If you're at a buffet or a restaurant like Sizzler. . . Adrienne
There is no other restaurant like Sizzler. It is the worst.

yohomama212
03-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Remember that in CA waiters and waitresses are taxed on the tips they are expected to earn. It is assumed that they make that 15% on each bill and their income is taxed accordingly. It is a real insult to tip less than 15% as it will eventually cost them later. I worked in a resturant for a few months and even with minimal service I still double the tax on the bill and leave only the 15%, nothing more.

Liz :cool:

Gone2Disneyland
03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
...I still double the tax on the bill and leave only the 15%,...
I was going to mention this trick. I believe the sales tax in Anaheim is 7.75%, so doubling the sales tax shown on the bill is an easy way to know what 15% (or, technically, 15.5% in this example) is, and thus what you can leave, at minimum, for the tip.

JustMe29
03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Can anyone explain the philosophy?

It's unheard of in Australia to do this?

Are wages really low or something?

Pirate Princess
03-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't know... but hopefully your country doesn't get hooked. While I do tip (usually higher than 20%) I find tipping to be redundant. You do your job and do it well... you get to keep your job... not get extra money from the customer end (employers should pay more for great employees since this reflects on the company). This is coming from someone who waitressed for two years.
Now Americans cannot undo tipping. Many people without an education, or who are working toward an education, wait because it is better paid than most other service jobs because of the tipping.
I spent this past summer in Europe and in Spain they have a WHOLE different way of waiting. No one comes to your table after they hand you a menu. You have to scream across the restaurant to let them know you want your order placed/need more utensils/water etc. The first few days we just sat there and WAITED and WAITED and WAITED for someone to approach us for our order. I took it as rude at first until we met up with a friend who was local and he laughed. He showed us how it was done. Frankly, I like it better. No one coming and asking you three times if you are ready to place your order, interrupting good conversation to ask how things are, filling your water when you have only sipped it down a few centimeters from the rim. I'd love to give up tipping and have 0 service... and scream when I need someone.
However, there is a trade off. There is virtually a NO tap water policy in Europe. Water is bottled in glass and comes at a premium. So they have found their own way of driving the cost up. How is it in Australia?

Anyhoooo... to answer your question. In the United States we tip to have someone come to our table more than two times (to seat you and bring food/bill). You will see them about ten times... and that will cost you 15-20% :eek:

(I know others will disagree with my take on tipping and that is fine... we all have our likes/dislikes with service)

JustMe29
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I tend to agree with you. I'd rather they leave me alone and no tipping.

In Australia tap water is free, bottled water costs money.

There is no tipping here at all.

I don't mind the idea of tipping a few dollars if I was really, really, super douper impressed - and it's more genuine here perhaps because there is no expectation of a tip.

My boyfriend already said to me - you'll have to do the tipping, but he just can't deal with the whole concept.

Pirate Princess
03-14-2007, 11:14 PM
My boyfriend already said to me - you'll have to do the tipping, but he just can't deal with the whole concept.

Most U.S. phones have "tip calculators" on them which give the tip to the exact penny and also can split the bill so when you are out with a group, everyone knows how much they owe with tip included. In CA our taxes are high so the "doubling the tax" trick works (although in some counties in California the tax is 7% or less so this trick can often end up being less than 15% of the bill)

ETA: I JUST SAW YOUR COUNTDOWN!!! I am so excited for you!!! Less than 24 hours!!! And now I'm jealous...

geoffa
03-15-2007, 04:25 AM
Here in the U.K. tipping is expected. It's because the service industry is so badly paid. I hate those credit card macines that come with a "Add gratuity" space on them. I never do - I always give my server cash. Then it's up to them whether to declare it or not. I've never understood tipping taxi drivers unless they actually assist you with your luggage. In Chicago they just seem to press the button to open the trunk and then remain sitting on their butts whilst you struggle with your bags. So NO tip there!
In France you're supposed to tip the usherette in a theatre for showing you to your seat - ludicrous!

15- 20% is a reasonable tip in restaurants and if you've had especially good service then add a little bit more. If you get bad service then resort to the old ONE CENT tip. It usually gets the message across - fortunately this has never had to happen at Disney.

One thing about tipping the room maid - leave the tip EACH day ($3) because it isn't always the same maid who does your room every day. We usually take some envelopes so there's no confusion as to who the money is for. In return we've returned to our room to find we've got extra chocolates on our pillows, towels made up into horses and swans and some extra coffee pouches! So it is appreciated.

samsma
03-15-2007, 04:35 AM
I on the other hand, love that the new debit/credit machines have the add a tip feature. We seldom carry cash, and debit about 95% of purchases. It's a pain if you're not a cash carrier to withdraw the money from the bank(after finding your own banks machine, so you don't get dinged with fees) and then buy something so that you have the change. It's so much easier to debit the tip too. The only downside is the two times we have gone to our favorite resteraunt using a gift card we were given, and the meal came to the same amount as the card was for. There was no bank machine around, and we felt like idiots having to tell the server that we needed to debit his tip.

geoffa
03-15-2007, 04:48 AM
The reason I don't add the gratuity on the debit/credit slip is because there is a record and the server will get taxed on it. Giving cash gives them some flexibility - they get paid dreadful wages as it is - and please don't anyone harangue me about tax evasion. We get bled dry over here - our sales tax is 17 1/2% and that gets added on the restaurant bill as well! Thankfully our ATMs don't charge (yet) for withdrawals (unless they are in a gas station or shop). I still like to have some cash in my pocket. For us Brits the first place we usually need a dollar bill is the toll booths on the roads from the airport especially in Orlando.

samsma
03-15-2007, 05:01 AM
WOW 17 1/2%! No wonder Mum never took us out when we were kids!
Yes, if I were a cash carrier I would always tip cash too (every bit you don't claim helps).

Bolivar
03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
All you ever wanted to know about tipping (scroll down to the U.S. section):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping

vfire
03-15-2007, 07:04 AM
In New York City, where I'm originally from, taxi tipping is usually 20% of the fare. So it's significantly less in SoCal, 10-15%? That would explain the incredulous and happy look on cab drivers' faces here after I tip them...
;)

adriennek
03-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Are wages really low or something?

In some states, waiters and waitresses are paid below minimum wage because it's expected that they will be tipped.

I like tipping. I tip my babysitters because I want them to know that I appreciate them. I want them to appreciate my business so when I need a babysitter, they're motivated to come back. When I have received below standard service, my tip can reflect that. I feel like I have some latitude to express myself. And I like having a way to thank someone who has gone above and beyond for me.

Adrienne

mickeyxminnie
03-15-2007, 07:43 AM
you will not be killed for not tipping or not tipping enough... prob just looked down on..

when we were there we had no idea about tipping and so hardly did it.. only cause most of the time it just slipped our mind..

because we have never ever done anything like that here in aus its simply not in our mind to think about.

MickeyDogMom
03-15-2007, 08:03 AM
In France you're supposed to tip the usherette in a theatre for showing you to your seat - ludicrous!

I tip my babysitters because I want them to know that I appreciate them. I want them to appreciate my business so when I need a babysitter, they're motivated to come back.

You're supposed to tip ushers in the US too, like at Broadway and such.

And in my area, if you don't tip your babysitter/tutor well they won't come back. They are in such high demand, you'll never get another one back. I can charge over 30$ an hour to tutor, plus extras. And twenty dollars per hour to sit plus add-ins for extras, diaper change, feeding them, etc... It's kind of sad how badly high quality baby sitters are in demand.

adriennek
03-15-2007, 08:04 AM
you will not be killed for not tipping or not tipping enough... prob just looked down on..

True, but keep in mind that these people do expect tips as part of their income and it's the custom.

When I was in high school, I was an AFS exchange student. The one thing that was drilled into us was that it was expected that we would learn and respect the local customs.

Hats off to anyone (including but not limited to JustMe29) who takes the time to learn the appropriate customs where they're travelling, even if it's a custom that is confusing to them. :)

Adrienne
Whose father is practically a dual-citizen of Australia and that's one reason why he was so adament that I participate in AFS.

just beatla33
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
I just let someone else handle that, its my strict rule of me against tipping

mickeyxminnie
03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
we were young and on our first trip outside of our home country..

we had asked people about it while there and did tip.. but just simply forgot to sometimes...

imagine how cool it is for you to come to our country.. firstly you get $1.30 for every 1 of your dollars.. our GST (goods and services tax) is only 10% and there is no tipping..

Bytebear
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Tipping is a vital part of the service industry. Service varies, and tipping gives incentive to give better service. I am glad to have the ability to tip, and that they know that good service will pay off. If they know you are not going to tip, I can guarentee that you food will come out cold and you will never get refills on your drinks. Nearly all restaurants give free refills on soft drinks, and the sign of a good waiter is that your glass is never left empty.

In the US, you only tip 15%-20% for a true waitor. Fast food, you don't tip, but if someone busses your table (like in a cafeteria style or buffet style place) a couple dollars is appreciated.

As for paying cash to avoid taxing, most restaurants pool their tips and are paid out of the pool, so even cash is taxed, and paid through the restaurant. Of course a waiter could pocket the tip and screw over their coworkers, but they won't last long as a waitor after they keep coming up short. This is done so they work as a team, and you get service from everyone, not just your waiter.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Personally, in a full table-service restaurant, I give approximately 20% of the post-tax amount (move the decimal point one column to the left, and double the result), with an absolute minimum, no matter how cheap my order is, of $1.25. Unless the service is really good, or really bad. Whether I leave a cash tip or add it to the bill depends on what's in my wallet at the time. Normally, I round up when leaving a cash tip, but if the waiter returns change in such a way that it's an obvious attempt to induce me to round up outrageously, then I round down, outrageously if necessary.

On the rare occasions when I'm unable to leave a tip that I'd consider adequate, I always explain the reason, and apologize.

I rarely tip for "table flag" service, much less counter, buffet, or cafeteria service.

I try to tip hotel housekeeping staff adequately, but I'm sometimes unable to do so. In some cases (just look up my much-repeated Chicago Loop W Hotel horror story), the housekeeping is so lousy that to leave absolutely nothing would constitute outrageous over-tipping.

If I ask for help from a bellhop, doorman (and I remember to do so), I'll tip the person accordingly. That also goes for the rare occasion of my actually saying "yes" if a street hustler offers to help me with my bags, or perform some other service. On the other hand, if such services are forced upon me against my wishes (it happened at the aforementioned Chicago W), or if a street hustler insists on performing some unasked-for service (especially one of questionable value), than I go into "Anne Robinson mode": they get nothing.

(Oh, and if some street hustler in New Orleans offers to bet you he can tell you where you got your shoes, answer "ON MY FEET!" Otherwise, you might be in for a shoeshine of questionable value and ridiculously inflated price. The key word in that hustle, by the way, is "got.")