PDA

View Full Version : Where can I use Disney Gift Cards?

wed@wdw
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Here's a bit of background info:
My nephew attends a Catholic school and one of the things they do there is sell gift cards to help offset tuition costs. I have bought several off of him including a Disney gift card to shop with at the Disney Store. I would like to buy more from him to use on our upcoming trip. They get 7% back into their tuition accounts from the Disney cards (other companies vary on their percentages). So, if I buy a $100 gift card (they come in $25 and $100 denominations), he would get $7 in his tuition account. I would like to buy enough from him to pay for most things on our trip.

So, where could I use them? To pay for the dining plan at check-in? The room is "paid" for already since we are new DVC members. How about renewing our annual passes? Can we use the gift cards to purchase them? I would assume most shops in Disney accept them and that is what we would mainly buy them for. But, if I can use them on the "big-ticket" items like the tickets that would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

jenjustinsmom
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Congrat on being DVC Members! Wow I hope you get to use them. That is a wonderful idea.

kimmon513
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
If you do find out that you can use them in the park, I would be interested in buying a couple from your nephew as well. There are 15 of us heading down in April and 4 of the kids would really enjoy using their own "credit card" to pay for their Souvenirs. I could pay for them through paypal I believe.

wed@wdw
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
If you do find out that you can use them in the park, I would be interested in buying a couple from your nephew as well. There are 15 of us heading down in April and 4 of the kids would really enjoy using their own "credit card" to pay for their Souvenirs. I could pay for them through paypal I believe.

Wow, Kimberly! That would be great! I kept the one I used before at the Disney Store (even though I quickly depleted it;) )just because it was so cute. It had Mickey's face on it. I'm getting one for each of my kids also. Usually I give them the Disney Dollars to shop with, but I'd like to help my nephew in any way I can. Thanks again, I'll send you a PM.:)

jenjustinsmom
03-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Can you call WDW and ask them if you can use them? It is such a great program

tjrj
03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
We're talking "regular", everyday, ordinary gift cards, right? If so, then you should have no problem using them at most places in WDW. If it's Disney owned(not third party like Planet Hollywood or the Lego store for example) and is able to accept credit cards, then the gift card should be no problem.

I say this because we are receiving a Disney gift card with our AAA package. I questioned whether and where we would be able to use it, and the above is what I was told.

Hope that helps!

geoffa
03-10-2007, 06:42 AM
It can be used for buying park tickets, merchandise, meals and accommodation at DL, WDW and DTD and also on the Disney Cruise ships.

For further info:

http://disney.go.com/disneygiftcard/shop.html

wed@wdw
03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks to all for the info! Geoffa- thank you for the link! It was very helpful! I did call OKW and they said they do accept them for the dining plan. And I will be able to purchase the annual passes for the kids with them. I just have to call and check with member services about using them to renew our (DH and Me) annual passes.

My nephew is in 1st grade...I could probably finance his entire education just through my Disney trips! LOL;) :D

Thanks again!

disneysc
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone, I've just joined this board! :D

When I joined the Disney Visa program I got a gift card that was good for the disney store...i tried to use it at world of disney and they said it was no good there.

You should probably check into this. From what I am aware there are Disney gift cards you can buy from Disneyshopping.com, world of disney etc, that are good at the parks, resorts etc.

But I think that the Disney Store cards are only good at that particular chain of stores (they are not actually owned by Disney).

kadiehl
03-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I am the SCRIP (gift card fundraiser) Coordinator at our school here in town. Our elementary parent group orders every couple weeks. This is a great and easy fundraiser.Here is what I copied directly from Great Lakes SCRIP Center's retailer list regarding the Disney Cards....

Redeemable at all Disney locations, including the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort in Florida or the DisneylandŽ Resort in California. Can not be used at Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort. The Disney Gift Card can also be used to purchase complete vacation packages or select elements, including hotel stays, theme park admission, recreation, tours, merchandise and dining. Also redeemable for Disney Cruise LineŽ vacation packages and for payment toward on-board charges. May not be used for group travel or towards payment for group folios. The Disney Gift Card can also be used for purchases at over 300 Disney Store locations in the U.S. and online at DisneyShopping.com (1 gift card allowed per online transaction). Cards can not be used when receiving a group (20 or more) discount. For a complete list of the gift card terms and conditions visit www.disneygiftcard.com.$25/$100/$1000 denominations available. Schools or kids get 7% of purchase price.

Nate & Ava's Mommy
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I would like to purchase WDW gift cards for our trip, I searched the site on the link posted above. Although it was very helpful I am unsure of a few things. My daughter wants Disney gift cards for her birthday and we do not want to have 20 separate cards. It appears a card is not able to be "replentished" (like a debit card) and we may have to take alot of cards with us. Family does not want to give us money and we purchse 1 gift card for her, we already tried that LOL, they want to give her something with the great Disney logo.
Has anyone had experience withthese gift cards? Good or bad? I would love ot hear feedback!

geoffa
03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
I would like to purchase WDW gift cards for our trip, I searched the site on the link posted above. Although it was very helpful I am unsure of a few things. My daughter wants Disney gift cards for her birthday and we do not want to have 20 separate cards. It appears a card is not able to be "replentished" (like a debit card) and we may have to take alot of cards with us. Family does not want to give us money and we purchse 1 gift card for her, we already tried that LOL, they want to give her something with the great Disney logo.
Has anyone had experience withthese gift cards? Good or bad? I would love ot hear feedback!

Why not get her Disney Dollars instead? There's new designs out soon at DL - Pirates of the Caribbean. I believe you can buy Disney Dollars at Disney Stores.

Nate & Ava's Mommy
03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Why not get her Disney Dollars instead? There's new designs out soon at DL - Pirates of the Caribbean. I believe you can buy Disney Dollars at Disney Stores.

Thanks, I am not sure what Disney Dollars are but will check them out! Thanks for the imput!

stan4d_steph
03-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks, I am not sure what Disney Dollars are but will check them out! Thanks for the imput!They function just like cash at Disney resorts and parks.

andyg
03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Yes, you can purchase them at the Disney Stores. At least you can here in Massachusetts. The newest design that I know of right now has Ariel on one dollar ones, Aurora on 5 dollar ones and Cinderella on 10 dollar ones. I might be wrong about that though. I know it is all princesses anyways. Haven't seen Pirates ones, but I think they are going to start a trend here and make them "collectables".

Anyways, they are great for purchases in the parks or at the hotel as stan4d_steph said. Same as cash.

Drince88
03-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, you can purchase them at the Disney Stores. At least you can here in Massachusetts. The newest design that I know of right now has Ariel on one dollar ones, Aurora on 5 dollar ones and Cinderella on 10 dollar ones. I might be wrong about that though. I know it is all princesses anyways. Haven't seen Pirates ones, but I think they are going to start a trend here and make them "collectables".
They have two options for all the denominations. I got Disney Dollars for my nephews in early December at City Hall, and the Cast Member, when I said they were for my nephews, went out of her way (opening 3 or 4 different money drawers) to find what I needed in the 'non-Princess' version - since what little boy wants Princesses on his money!

andyg
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
They have two options for all the denominations. I got Disney Dollars for my nephews in early December at City Hall, and the Cast Member, when I said they were for my nephews, went out of her way (opening 3 or 4 different money drawers) to find what I needed in the 'non-Princess' version - since what little boy wants Princesses on his money!

Ah, I was wondering if there was a boy version or not. It is good that they have options.

I thought that same thing about not wanting princesses if I were a boy still. My priorities have changed a bit and heck if it's spendable, I don't care if it is princesses or whatever! :D

Drince88
03-22-2007, 04:49 PM
But the Disney store may not have a wide selection, so you may be stuck with 'girls' on the money! I know my Disney store doesn't have as many cash registers as drawers she opened looking for mine

andyg
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Actually, Drince I think you are right about that. Now that I think of it, I called the Disney store here and I believe the woman told me that they only had princess ones. That was what I was asking about anyways, so it didn't matter to me. I never went and got any in the end. I will before November though!

disneyshoes
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Can disney dollars be used at the vendor/carts in the park? Do they give cash back?
Thanks!

kadiehl
03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Not sure about the vendor carts...ask your customer service rep when you buy them.

By the way, back to the Disney Gift Cards. I bought one through our SCRIP program at our school- just a $25.00 amount since I was testing this so to speak.

Well I just booked our trip a couple weeks ago so I still have some of it to pay off.

So I got the Disney Gift Card and I used it to pay towards my balance on my trip. Went through perfectly. IT was easy too.

So once you have booked the trips(mine through Walt Disney Travel) you can get a Gift Card in $25, $100, or $1000 amounts and use them to work on paying for your trip and it benefits the school/group in the meantime. SO...I am doing this again in a couple weeks when I order our SCRIP cards again. Now that I know it works I can buy the larger cards and get this trip paid off pretty fast here- or pick away at it at least. By the way, I did this through the Disney website and the My Travel area and all that. A Walt Disney Travel Cast Member told me about this website feature where you can make your payments there and add your flight info too.

stan4d_steph
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Can disney dollars be used at the vendor/carts in the park? Do they give cash back?
Thanks!Yes, Disney Dollars can be used at ODV and if there is change they will give it back in cash.