PDA

View Full Version : Disembarkation on last day

cubsfan
02-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Can someone walk me through the process of disembarking? I imagine it must be chaotic to discharge that many passengers all at the same time. How are the accounts settled, do they dismiss by cabin section/levels or how? Thanks.

GusMan
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Actually, speaking from my 2 trips, it was a rather calm process.

The process actually starts the night before. You are given tags for your luggage. They are color coded. You will put your personal info on them and the like and attach them to anything you will not carry off the ship yourself. You will leave your luggage out in front of your stateroom before 11PM. You will need to keep with you any carryons you want to carry out yourself as well as whatever you will need for the next morning such as toiletries and clothes. They will take your luggage into a holding room for the next morning.

You will receive your statement for your trip later that night. If it is ok, and you kept a credit card on file for those charges, then thats a done deal. Otherwise, you need to see guest services first thing in the AM to settle up or make corrections.

You will leave your room with your carryon luggage and proceed to breakfast. You will have breakfast at the same place you had dinner the night before. (If you ate at Palo the night before, you will go to the place you were supposed to eat the last night.)

After breakfast, you will leave the ship ( :( ) and proceed to the customs holding area where you will find your luggage according to the color code and stateroom number. This process takes a little time but it works well.

From there you will go to the customs officer where they will check your declaration form (that you will out the night before), passport and the like and send you on through. (So dont pack your passports.)

I may have left somethings out by accident, but dont worry, they have a disembarkation presentation the day before and it is repeated on the stateroom TV's throughout the rest of the day. They really make it as simple as possible.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
02-20-2007, 10:57 AM
This is basically how every cruise line does disembarkation, at least from our experience on Carnival and Celebrity. I wouldn't expect Disney to deviate from this procedure much if at all.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Disney seemed much more efficient than or previous experience with Royal Carribean. The last day is so sad, they pamper you, feed you, make you feel so wonderful, than at the crack of down unceremoniously show you the door :).

bryanem
02-21-2007, 07:33 PM
One more thing, don't waste time during your last day of your cruise
attending the debarkation presentation in the theater, GusMan laid it out very well, plus they give you a one page instruction sheet that tells you everything you want to know. We were off the ship with our luggage less than an hour after we finished breakfast, it was well organized and very
efficient.

Niwel
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I wish every line disembarked the way Disney does it.... no chaos -- a nice breakfast and you can leave when you want (and all the signs say "come back soon")

piglet 05
03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Actually, speaking from my 2 trips, it was a rather calm process.

The process actually starts the night before. You are given tags for your luggage. They are color coded. You will put your personal info on them and the like and attach them to anything you will not carry off the ship yourself. You will leave your luggage out in front of your stateroom before 11PM. You will need to keep with you any carryons you want to carry out yourself as well as whatever you will need for the next morning such as toiletries and clothes. They will take your luggage into a holding room for the next morning.

You will receive your statement for your trip later that night. If it is ok, and you kept a credit card on file for those charges, then thats a done deal. Otherwise, you need to see guest services first thing in the AM to settle up or make corrections.

You will leave your room with your carryon luggage and proceed to breakfast. You will have breakfast at the same place you had dinner the night before. (If you ate at Palo the night before, you will go to the place you were supposed to eat the last night.)

After breakfast, you will leave the ship ( :( ) and proceed to the customs holding area where you will find your luggage according to the color code and stateroom number. This process takes a little time but it works well.

From there you will go to the customs officer where they will check your declaration form (that you will out the night before), passport and the like and send you on through. (So dont pack your passports.)

I may have left somethings out by accident, but dont worry, they have a disembarkation presentation the day before and it is repeated on the stateroom TV's throughout the rest of the day. They really make it as simple as possible.

Hope that helps.

this is a good synopsis of how all cruise lines do it. like others say, disney is the MOST efficient and calm about this process though. they;ve streamlined it more than any other ship i've been on! (i've been on about 7 cruises total on these lines: norwegian, disney, and carnival)

one thing gusman mentioned about eating in the dining hall the morning of disembarkation, you can also eat upstairs on the lido deck for a more leisurely time or if you want to eat quickly instead of being waited on in the restaurants. thought some people like to eat in the restaurant for one more time of pampering and/or to say goodbye to table mates if you want (altho there is no assigned seating on this departing morning).

just remember to pack a change of clothes for the actual day of disnembarking since you have to leave the luggage outside the door for collection the previous night :) you may not want to walk around in pj's around the port hehe ;)

the ship folks tend to tell you not to hang around the main deck where they disembark so that people can leave in an orderly fashion. so if you are hanging around that area, if they ask you to move or ask you to stay in another area, try to do that instead.

if you have a shore excursion thru the ship on the day of disembarking there will be instructions for the tour groups differently than those leaving for either hotels or the airports. usually these groups meet earlier in the am and their luggage and carryons are taken care of seperately and/or collected by you as a tour group and put on the bus you will be wisked away on.

even tho gusman did a fine job of telling most details for disembarkation, i'd say if you havent sailed before, go to the talk the day before just to be sure the ship you're on is doing things the way its told here. you just never know when they might make new rules or exceptions or maybe you have your own questions that an expert on the ship can answer better than us. only one member from the family needs to go but its a good idea to just in case.

i hope this helps. :) have fun!!

percytheguineapig
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I didn't see this mentioned before (please forgive me if I missed it), but there is one other relevant difference between Disney's disembarkation procedure and any other cruise line we've been with.

Disney does not disembark by cabin or by any other grouping that I observed. It was basically first come, first serve. But the time of day that you disembark may make a big difference in how long you wait.

When we cruised in February, we reported for breakfast about 8:30. As we walked by the main lobby, there was no line of either A) people disembarking or B) people waiting to disembark. Folks just casually walked up to the exit, and left the ship.

Now after we finished breakfast and started heading out around 9:30, it was a completely different story. There was a huge line of people waiting to disembark. As folks had been leaving all morning, the luggage area in the terminal was getting too crowded, and they had to periodically halt the disembarkation line on board the ship.

Anyways, the main point is (at least on our 4-day cruise), there were no group assignments that dictated when you could leave the ship. Once the ship has been cleared by customs, you can leave leave as soon as you want, depending on how long the line is.

Have a great time!

GusMan
03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Disney does not disembark by cabin or by any other grouping that I observed. It was basically first come, first serve. But the time of day that you disembark may make a big difference in how long you wait.
Actually, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you have a suggested time that you should go to breakfast, which kinda dictates your departure time. By using that time, we have never seen any lines what so ever. But it is a suggested time, so you can, in essence, wait up to the last minute to get off the ship, which is when I suspect you can find a line.

Dont get me wrong, I have seen pictures of the lines you speak of. I just have not seen them myself.

Tony
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Actually, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you have a suggested time that you should go to breakfast, which kinda dictates your departure time. By using that time, we have never seen any lines what so ever. But it is a suggested time, so you can, in essence, wait up to the last minute to get off the ship, which is when I suspect you can find a line.

You have a specific time for breakfast. If you choose to eat at the restaurant, you eat at that time. (Since they have two breakfast seatings). If you don't want to eat at the restaurant (maybe skip eating, or go up to the buffet on deck 9), you can leave any time you want.

piglet 05
03-15-2007, 06:56 AM

hmm maybe it was just on the 4day cruises then. on the longer cruises you have the different luggage tags that specify the timeframe you leave. you can leave anytime after your luggage tag color/character is announced. so if you're still eating breakfast (at either the restaurants or lido deck), you don't have to rush out when they call your tag, but know that at that point on you can leave the ship. its very organized. other ships i've been on, its been sometimes a nightmare to hear the announcements, or figure out who gets to leave when. disney has it down pat pretty good. :)

Tony
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
hmm maybe it was just on the 4day cruises then. on the longer cruises you have the different luggage tags that specify the timeframe you leave. you can leave anytime after your luggage tag color/character is announced. so if you're still eating breakfast (at either the restaurants or lido deck), you don't have to rush out when they call your tag, but know that at that point on you can leave the ship. its very organized. other ships i've been on, its been sometimes a nightmare to hear the announcements, or figure out who gets to leave when. disney has it down pat pretty good. :)

Disney only used this process in Los Angeles during the West Coast cruises a few years ago. In Port Canaveral, the colors simply indicate what area your luggage will be waiting in, not what order you disembark.

piglet 05
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Disney only used this process in Los Angeles during the West Coast cruises a few years ago. In Port Canaveral, the colors simply indicate what area your luggage will be waiting in, not what order you disembark.

hmm interesting. i recall doing it both times. but oh well. either way it was easy so i dont mind :)

LisaB
03-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Another timesaving tip - print up some labels with your name, address, and stateroom number before you leave home. Then you can just stick those on the luggage tags instead of hand-writing all that info what seems like a hundred times. (OK - only as many times as bags you have.)

Also, you can put all of your bags out (except what you need in the morning) including stuff that you may plan to carry-on the airplane, since you claim your luggage before heading to the airport.

piglet 05
03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Another timesaving tip - print up some labels with your name, address, and stateroom number before you leave home. Then you can just stick those on the luggage tags instead of hand-writing all that info what seems like a hundred times. (OK - only as many times as bags you have.)

Also, you can put all of your bags out (except what you need in the morning) including stuff that you may plan to carry-on the airplane, since you claim your luggage before heading to the airport.

good tips! i carry those freebie address labels you get from charity groups with me. stick those on and i'm good to go :)

also on any luggage i put out, i make sure i either put a lock on them or put the cable ties on them so others cant get in. if i put a lock on the luggage that i plan on checking at the airport, then i change those out to cable ties after i put the overnight clothes, toiletries, etc that i had for overnight into the checked baggage.

LisaG
03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
They also show the disembarkation talk on the stateroom tv all day so if you can't make the exact time in the theater you can catch it later - like while packing, etc.