PDA

View Full Version : Midway Mania?

futurecm21
12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, I am sitting in the land of snow, snow, and more snow. In the course of one day we have recieved just around eleven inches of snow here in Fort Collins! If you are thinking to yourself, what, Colorado always gets snow than your absolutely right. However consider this, Fort Collins is at the base of the mountains, at a comparatively high elevation, but still the last time we got this much snow was in 2003, and school was out for a week! Anyhow, I got home early today, and was looking over some old DLR park updates, wishing I could be in California, where I believe there is currently no snow. Anyway I was reminded by a recent update to inquire about the new attraction being put in California Adventure known as Midway Mania. I understand there has been a great deal of construction involving the new attraction that will be found under California Screamin. However what I want to know is how will this be any different from the midway that was previously found in the area, and what everyone thinks the new attraction will be like. Thanks for your input, stay warm everybody! :) :mad: :mad: :crying: :(
futurecm21

Quinten27
12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
From what I've read, the Midway Mania will be completely different from what used to be there. There will be no more un-wallet friendly games of chance, which I think is a good thing, no having to waste money to let my kids each "win" a stuffed animal. I'd rather just buy something from a shop.

The actual attraction is suppossed to be a dark ride, probably along the lines of Buzz Lightyear, as they have said it will be an interactive ride. I've also heard it rumored that this ride will feature elements and characters from the movie Toy Story.

just beatla33
12-20-2006, 03:52 PM
its an interactive Pixar dark ride

futurecm21
12-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your information everybody, I had no idea it was supposed to be a dark ride. Does anybody have any idea on how its supposed to be interactive? Again thanks a ton:) :)
futurecm21

olegc
12-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Disney applied for a patent on how different layers of light can be displayed, activated, or de-activated with other light. So - the interpretation there is that you will be on some sort of vehicle (omnimover style) that has some form of gun or laser pointer. You will be hitting different scenes with Pixar characters in them. These scenes will be your typical midway games - no one knows which ones but the example most given is blow up the balloon with water. Of course, you won't use real water - you will aim your laser to a target - similar to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

If it works it could be quite entertaining since you have multiple layers of technology, familiar characters, and the change element so that you'll want to go back over and over again.

MiceAge.com and other websites, as well as MousePad, have had numerous discussions on the speculated details. The patent thing is already public. Go search on this pad and other sites if you want more.

Disney Vault
12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Here is a little info from miceage.

"The riders would be wearing 3-D glasses, and the animatronics and some of the special effects would be controlled much like the Roz figure on the Monsters Inc. ride where specific lines and reactions are directed at specific riders. It all promises to be very impressive and WDI plans on offering up several "How Did They Do That?!" moments throughout the ride. Older folks may find it a bit too frantic, but much like Buzz Lightyear the kids will instantly take to it and likely outscore their parents on the first ride. With all of the randomization and individuality offered up by each show scene, it's also an attraction that is going to have immense repeatability. And just as nice is that the construction of this large attraction and its boardwalk frontage will erase much of the bland, generic strip-mall look that Paradise Pier was saddled with by the original designers."

HorizonsA
12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
From what I've read, the Midway Mania will be completely different from what used to be there. There will be no more un-wallet friendly games of chance, which I think is a good thing, no having to waste money to let my kids each "win" a stuffed animal. I'd rather just buy something from a shop.

Well, where Midway Mania is going to be, there never was any Midway games in that particular area. It was just a bunch of unpopular restaurants and that photo shoot where you posed in front of a green screen. As of now, there are still Midway Games along the Boardwalk. So, tough-luck, Quinten, the games will still very much still be there. And if you hate the games so much, then all you have to do is say no and keep walking. :rolleyes:

olegc
12-22-2006, 06:47 AM
JimHillMedia also had an extensive discussion around the technology a couple of months ago.

The old man
12-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Here is a little info from miceage.

"The riders would be wearing 3-D glasses, and the animatronics and some of the special effects would be controlled much like the Roz figure on the Monsters Inc. ride where specific lines and reactions are directed at specific riders. It all promises to be very impressive and WDI plans on offering up several "How Did They Do That?!" moments throughout the ride. Older folks may find it a bit too frantic, but much like Buzz Lightyear the kids will instantly take to it and likely outscore their parents on the first ride. With all of the randomization and individuality offered up by each show scene, it's also an attraction that is going to have immense repeatability. And just as nice is that the construction of this large attraction and its boardwalk frontage will erase much of the bland, generic strip-mall look that Paradise Pier was saddled with by the original designers."
Yawn.

The old man
12-22-2006, 07:08 AM
So, tough-luck, Quinten, the games will still very much still be there. And if you hate the games so much, then all you have to do is say no and keep walking. :rolleyes:
Yeah, and drag your kids by the arm as you go past them. Boy those crummy games of "chance", that are at every state fair, church charity event & street corner carnival, sure make DCA a special place. :rolleyes:

disneyhound
12-22-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah, and drag your kids by the arm as you go past them. Boy those crummy games of "chance", that are at every state fair, church charity event & street corner carnival, sure make DCA a special place. :rolleyes:

Rumor has it that the games are to be relocated to Main Steet USA, DL... Walt, help us! ;)

DangerMouse
12-22-2006, 08:08 AM

My sentiments exactly!

Disney Vault
12-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Yawn.
I think this sounds great. An interactive ride is just what DCA needs. (A ride with some repeatability)

futurecm21
12-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I think this sounds great. An interactive ride is just what DCA needs. (A ride with some repeatability)

Or how about, the fact that it is a dark ride one of three (I could be wrong about this) once its done. My point is, I think if Disney wants to keep guests in California Adventure, they need more than the Tower of Terror.