PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to visit?

Pages : [1] 2

Katran
11-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Alright, I'm sure there has to be a thread on this, but no matter what keywords I plug in I either get a "no results found" or I get a "fatal error".

What time of year is best to visit Disneyland if you want to avoid the worst of the crowds but still experience the least amount of ride closures? We were going to go in early March, but with news that Splash Mountain will be closed until early May, we are re-thinking that. It's just too big a favorite to miss, especially for my youngest daughter. It is her very favorite ride.

I really, REALLY did not want to go in the summer because of the crowds (been there, done that, several times, finally swore I'd never do it again), nor do I want to go right around the POTC premiere (assuming it's even held at Disneyland this year). It's looking like either the first week of January or next Autumn might be our only options, but January is most likely too soon for the other adults we are going with, and a lot of kids will still be on winter break so I'm afraid it will still be too crowded. But I really don't want to wait until halfway through next year either.

So what does everyone recommend? My number one concern is avoiding massive crowds. I HATE crowds. Some crowding is okay. Crowds are a fact of life. I'm not asking for Disneyland to be dead, of course, but if I can avoid 1 to 2 hour waits for rides, then that would be great. Especially since one of the adults in our group has never been, and will probably never get to go again (the only reason they can even go on this trip is because DH and I are paying for it). I want us to really have time to enjoy everything at both parks (we're planning on a 5-day trip), and not spend 2 hours at a time in line for a ride. I've found from past experience that early March seems to be the best time, but as I already mentioned we really don't want to miss Splash Mountain. So when should we go for maximum fun with minimum crowding?

DangerMouse
11-27-2006, 09:00 AM
These are the times that I have visited and experienced reasonably light crowds:

Last week of February
Last week of April (as long as you avoid DCA on the last day of the two-fer special)
First week of June
Labor Day and two days following
Second week of December

Of course, I never go on a Fri or Sat. Most our trips include a Sun-Wed.

HTH!

Katran
11-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks. Well, February and April are out if we want to hit Splash Mountain.

The other weeks might work, though they're later in the year than we had wanted to go.

Does anyone have any experience with mid-January? After the holiday overlays are removed? We're thinking of going the 18th through the 23rd, after the holiday stuff is removed but before Splash Mountain is closed.

emmah
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks. Well, February and April are out if we want to hit Splash Mountain.

The other weeks might work, though they're later in the year than we had wanted to go.

Does anyone have any experience with mid-January? After the holiday overlays are removed? We're thinking of going the 18th through the 23rd, after the holiday stuff is removed but before Splash Mountain is closed.

i habitually visit in January on my way home from the UK and I think its a great time although its important to schedule in a fri/sat if you want to see fireworks and fantasmic. i've never waited more than 5 minutes for a ride in january. this year i am visiting 11-18 and thus manage to sneak in IASW before it shuts down for holiday overlay removal, and splash before it shuts down, but will miss HM... everything has a trade-off.

wabby1
11-27-2006, 11:07 AM
After visiting with several annual pass holders on my last trip, I asked the question of all of them. "When is the best time to visit the park?" Most all of them suggested visiting during the Christmas season. They said that Disneyland is even more magical during the holidays.

I've yet to visit the park during that time, but plan on doing so someday.

Bolivar
11-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I almost always go in April to avoid the crowds. Last year I went the first week of December and we made a spur of the moment trip in August, August 14-17 to be exact.

I really hesitated to go on that August visit because I hate crowds -- that's why we have never gone in the summer. Well, that August visit had the smallest crowds we have ever experienced.

I think there likely were more people in the park, but with things running to capacity and more shows, the park absorbed the people better.

Katran
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
After visiting with several annual pass holders on my last trip, I asked the question of all of them. "When is the best time to visit the park?" Most all of them suggested visiting during the Christmas season. They said that Disneyland is even more magical during the holidays.

While I would like to visit during Christmas some year, it won't be this year. For one thing, it's just too soon. For another, neither DH or BIL likes Nightmare Before Christmas, and since this is BIL's first (and possibly only) visit, I figure we should go after the holiday setup has been removed from HM.

But some year, darn it, I'm going to go during Christmas!! :p

Katran
11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Oh crap!!! I just talked to my sister and she mentioned that they're going to Iowa from the 10th of January to the 24th, which is right over when we had planned to go to Disneyland! Now it's back to square one. Our options are miss out on Splash, which would break my youngest daughter's heart, or wait at least six months and go in the summer. :(

What is the first week of January like? Are the crowds really bad with everyone trying to get in the last of the holiday season overlay?

Malcon10t
11-30-2006, 10:28 AM
What is the first week of January like? Are the crowds really bad with everyone trying to get in the last of the holiday season overlay?IF you are talking about the Jan 1-7 time frame... School is still out, and all passes are open to come Jan 2-4. Rockin Mountains are opening on the 3rd, so many will want to be there for this. The park has extended hours all week, meaning they expect it to be busy. (We will be there til the 3rd.) It will be busy. If you like 5 min waits, this is not the week to be there.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I have now been to DL in all seasons and times of year (only took me 40 years to go at Christmastime) and I have to say that I LOVE Disneyland at Christmas. It's SO magical and wonderful! It's now my favorite time to go, although I am sure I'll be back in March or April!

Katran
11-30-2006, 10:46 AM
IF you are talking about the Jan 1-7 time frame... School is still out, and all passes are open to come Jan 2-4. Rockin Mountains are opening on the 3rd, so many will want to be there for this. The park has extended hours all week, meaning they expect it to be busy. (We will be there til the 3rd.) It will be busy. If you like 5 min waits, this is not the week to be there.

I don't mind some wait times, but are we talking 2 hours for Splash? So packed you can't move? Get a spot for Fantasmic at 8am? Or is it more typical summer busy? 1 hour wait for Splash kinda thing? Get a spot 2 hours early for Fantasmic? Crowded, but you can weave through?

I can handle "busy". I'd rather not, but our options are seriously narrowing down so I know we're just going to have to deal with it (I could always pray for rain, lol). But if we literally won't be able to move most of the time or even run the risk of not being able to get into the park at all, then I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Ugh, another monkey wrench: the "Adults Play at Kids' Prices" deal starts on Jan. 3rd. We're planning on going on the 1-5. So if I buy those tickets on the Disneyland website, will they only be good from the 3rd on? Do I have to buy the regular park-hoppers for the 1st and 2nd? How does that work?

Malcon10t
11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't mind some wait times, but are we talking 2 hours for Splash? So packed you can't move? Get a spot for Fantasmic at 8am? Or is it more typical summer busy? 1 hour wait for Splash kinda thing? Get a spot 2 hours early for Fantasmic? Crowded, but you can weave through?

I can handle "busy". I'd rather not, but our options are seriously narrowing down so I know we're just going to have to deal with it (I could always pray for rain, lol). But if we literally won't be able to move most of the time or even run the risk of not being able to get into the park at all, then I'm not sure it will be worth it.

Ugh, another monkey wrench: the "Adults Play at Kids' Prices" deal starts on Jan. 3rd. We're planning on going on the 1-5. So if I buy those tickets on the Disneyland website, will they only be good from the 3rd on? Do I have to buy the regular park-hoppers for the 1st and 2nd? How does that work?I would expect at least summer crowds. Crowded but you can weave thru it. On the 1-3rd, maybe expect short closures (noon to 3pm?) May not happen, but could. Rose Bowl crowd should clear out by then.

5 day adult tickets at Jan 1st prices are $179 each adult ($149 per child.)
2 day tickets are $116 for adults.
A 3 Day Play at Kids prices is $129 add the $116, $245 total, so buy the passes at the Jan 1 price. Also, check with any credit unions or human resources where any of you work for better pricing. My credit union is considerably cheaper. A friend's HR got his tickets for 4 days for $124 when the price was $149.

Katran
11-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Alright, we've made a painful decision. We are going the first week in February. We'll miss Splash, but according to Disneyland's website schedule, everything else should be open, and the crowds shouldn't be bad at all. I decided that even a small risk of park closure that first week in January wasn't worth taking a chance on, not for BIL's and nephew's first (and possibly only) visit. I surruptitiously asked my youngest that if she got the chance to go to Disneyland but Splash would be closed or wait several months for Splash to open which would she pick, and she picked going sooner and missing Splash. I don't think she suspected a thing. ;)

And DH's parents go to Disneyland every June, so we're going to try and see if we can afford to go again with them then (maybe just for 2 or 3 days instead of 5), or at least afford for the kids to go. Splash will be open by then, so missing Splash in February isn't quite as painful if we think there might be a chance we can go again later this year (even if it's not a big chance).

And on the upside, hotel rates will be cheaper if we go in February than right after Christmas, so that will give us more money to spend at Disneyland, or save towards the June trip. :p

my3girls
11-30-2006, 03:34 PM
We've gone the first week of February a couple of times and have enjoyed it. It's pretty much our favorite time to go. We don't like crowds either. It's so nice that the lines are almost non-existant. It wasn't too cold at all when we went this past year so we went on Splash Mountain twice. And Grizzly River Rapids over at DCA. In fact it was quite toasty warm for us. But then again we'd just left 40-50 degree temps in the chilly and foggy Sacramento area so the So. Cal winter temps felt like Spring-Early Summer to us.;)

Katran
11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm so glad to hear that! I didn't figure it would be a busy time, although I don't know if there are any conventions or anything going on then (isn't there a website where you can check that?).

It will be quite chilly for us though. We're from Phoenix, and Anaheim's summer weather is our spring and fall weather. In fact, it was still in the 80's here until just a week or so ago. DH and I went the first week of March this year and it was pretty chilly for us in the mornings and evenings, though we shed our heavy coats and just wore long-sleeved shirts in the afternoon. Still, it's Disneyland so the cold is a "special" kind of cold! :D

Katran
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me their input. We decided to go for sure the first week of February. After managing to sneakily find out from my sister that she and her husband definitely have no plans for that week, we have booked a hotel and purchased our tickets (after telling her that we wanted to plan a trip for all of us to go up north to hopefully play in the snow, heh heh heh). We will be giving their tickets to them as a Christmas gift. We'll miss Splash Mountain, and that's a bummer, but we'll still have a great time.

Thanks again everyone!! :D

lauramaynot
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me their input. We decided to go for sure the first week of February. After managing to sneakily find out from my sister that she and her husband definitely have no plans for that week, we have booked a hotel and purchased our tickets (after telling her that we wanted to plan a trip for all of us to go up north to hopefully play in the snow, heh heh heh). We will be giving their tickets to them as a Christmas gift. We'll miss Splash Mountain, and that's a bummer, but we'll still have a great time.

Thanks again everyone!! :D

I absolutely love that time of the year! The crowds do seem smaller..maybe everyone is out of $$ after christmas?? but I also think that fall is a great time right after kids go back to school and before Halloween... and with the Subs opening sometime this summer, I say plan a fall trip too!!

Katran
12-01-2006, 11:32 AM
DH's family goes every June. They won't go while the kids are in school. If Finding Nemo opens later than June this summer we're going to try and talk them into going later so they can enjoy that ride, which will also give us more time to save up for another trip. Hopefully we can go again this summer, even though I hate the summer crowds. Still, I'm willing to tolerate the crowds if it means hitting Splash and Finding Nemo this year.

mgg1234
12-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't know if it's usually a light crowd, but we were there from Sun-Tues before Thanksgiving this year and it was great. One of the lightest crowds we've seen in the past few years. Not quite what we expected so it was a pleasant surprise.

Katran
12-02-2006, 11:14 AM
I heard it was slower than expected at that time as well.

disney jones
12-02-2006, 03:10 PM
We decided to go for sure the first week of February. :Dwe've gone then the last 3 years - its a great time to go!!

i also like the 2nd week of December (next week!!!! :D :cool: ) and late May/early as possible in June - just avoid Memorial Day.

Leap for Joy
12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
DH's parents go to Disneyland every June, so we're going to try and see if we can afford to go again with them then (maybe just for 2 or 3 days instead of 5), or at least afford for the kids to go.
If you can be certain about this before your February trip, I recommend upgrading your park hoppers to annual passes when you're there in February. A Deluxe Annual Pass is cheaper than buying multi-day park hoppers twice in one year, and you'd just need to avoid Saturdays in June which you'd probably choose to do anyway.

Katran
12-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Disney Jones, thanks for the comment. I'm feeling better and better about our decision to go in February, even though it will mean missing Splash.

Leap for Joy, thanks for the tip. Hopefully we'll know by our trip in February when they are planning to go. I don't know if we'll know by then if we can actually afford to go by then, but hopefully we'll have a pretty good idea if it's even a possibility or not.

RockDoc07
12-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I must be honest, I don't have much comparison to make here. But, I can tell you about the crowds and such during my recent trip.

We went last June. We flew there on Friday the 16th and were there Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday.

Every ride was open at least some of the time we were there (HISTA went down saturday afternoon and a few other things had random shutdowns) except for Pirates (it was the week before the premiere).

The longest wait time we had ALL weekend (WEEKEND) was 25 minutes for Monsters, Inc in DCA. We used fastpass for all that we could. All the shows/parades were on, nothing was dark.

Not only were the wait times for everything really short, we kept walking around looking at each other saying "Where is everybody!? This is a weekend in the summer!"

Of an important note: This is not yet considered prime summer season by Disney, so some of the prices at their hotels and at the good neighbor hotels is still pretty sweet. We were at the Ramada Maingate for 500 with 3 day park hoppers for 2 included.

To give another idea of how light the park was, we used Ridemax and even that overestimated our walk times/wait times so that when lunch came we took a TWO HOUR break because we had already hit most of what we wanted to do. By the time Sunday night came around, there wasn't anything we wanted to do that we didn't get to.

So that definitely gets my vote. Mid June, before the summer season really "officially" begins. The NY school sare still on, some of the other schools around have just ended and so maybe not the best time to get the kids ready to go on vacation. Prices reasonable. Everything open. Booyah..

Hope this helps!

Cool Runnings,
Doc

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I say avoid summer, and spring break. Go in early October or November for the lightest crowds.
The first week of March was "dead" but then you would miss Splash.