PDA

View Full Version : What Christmas things cannot be missed?

cjkeys
10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Just got a wild hair and booked a two-day trip to Disneyland for mid-December for my grown daughter and myself. Neither of us has ever seen Disneyland all decorated for Christmas. So, what absolutely, positively has to be seen/experienced???

pisces
10-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Toontown all lit up......after dark!

Mommy2NicknMax
10-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks.

Ella618
10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Just pay attention to the detail -- the decorations, the lights, the Christmas tree on Main Street -- it all just makes for a magical visit the moment you start walking on Main Street.

I agree with all of the things that are already posted here, but I would add that the light show in front of IASW is really spectacular. Also, I really enjoyed the dinner I had at Napa Rose during last Christmas season. It's fun to see how the big hotels are decorated.

Be sure to post a trip report! My mom and I (neither of whom believe we're too old for Disney) will be visting on January 1, just in time to catch the last of the Christmas decorations!

outlaw8
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I like going in the morning and then leaving BEFORE dark and go over to DTD and watch the lights light up. Go into Grand Califonian and see the tree(if its there this year) and warm by the fireplace. Then return to Disneyland AFTER dark and walk down Main Street all lit up....Feels like your just getting there and seeing it for the first time!! Soak up all the season while there!!

daisydog
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I have to second the IASW holiday lighting. Wow!

momuvseven
10-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Must see Santa and Mrs. Claus over at Rudolph's Roundup. The reindeer are there and last year there were some characters there as well. Inside of IASW and Haunted Mansion are well worth the wait. Love all the atmosphere, the parade and fireworks. Took me back to childhood and made believers out of my children.

Leap for Joy
10-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Small World has a gorgeous holiday overlay, AND there is a lightshow on it after dark. It's a lot of fun!

TikiGeek
10-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I have to second the IASW holiday lighting. Wow!I'll third it!

The nightly tree lighting ceremony on Main St. is fun. Sadly, The Side Street Strutters are no longer at the park - they played "jazzy" Christmas music up-to and after the ceremony.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-27-2006, 04:47 PM
When does the tree go up on Main Street? I saw it in the background of Darkbeer's photos. :) I am SO excited!!!

itig
10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Cinnamon twist pastries from Blue Ribbon with a hot chocolate or latte...Main Street as the park is closing and everyone is leaving -- hang out for as long as you can and enjoy the lights without the crowds...

emmah
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
check out the trees behind BTMRR near Santa's roundup - they are covered in tiny fairylights and are SOOOOOO beautiful at night. buy some hot chocolate to drink while watching the christmas parade. hang out around the court of angels in new orleans square - very intensely decorated. see if you can time a visit to the emporium when they are making candy canes - i got to watch this last year and it was AMAZING - pushing and pulling that taffy until it looked perfect. i managed to buy the very last one of the day, they wrapped it in bubble wrap for me (they shatter like glass) and hung it on my tree - lovely! enjoy! I don't get to see it this year - our next trip is mid january - so be sure to fill us in!

Another Dimension
10-28-2006, 12:18 AM
What Christmas things cannot be missed?

Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks
Christmas Fantasy Parade
It's a Small World Holiday
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Toontown
New Orleans Square
Woody's Christmas Roundup in Frontierland
Various food places with Holiday specialties

:D

pisces
10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
The nightly tree lighting ceremony on Main St. is fun.

What nightly tree lighting ceremony?

I don't see a thing about it on the schedule. Maybe it'll be listed on the hand-outs.

Last year they noted it right online, along with the Small World Lighting, and DCA tree lighting ceremonies.

I guess the trees will get lit, this year obviously. But will there be a whole "ceremony" to it, and will it be noted, timewise, on a schedule?

canadianmom
10-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Getting a spot under the big Christmas tree and watching the parade from there. We did that last year and it was great, we ended up in so many people's family pictures, finally my husband got up and started offering to take people's family pictures for them. We had such a great time, chatting with people and then watching the parade coming right down main street!

TikiGeek
10-28-2006, 02:39 PM
What nightly tree lighting ceremony?

I don't see a thing about it on the schedule. Maybe it'll be listed on the hand-outs.

Last year they noted it right online, along with the Small World Lighting, and DCA tree lighting ceremonies.

I guess the trees will get lit, this year obviously. But will there be a whole "ceremony" to it, and will it be noted, timewise, on a schedule?There normally is a tree lighting ceremony every night when the tree is up. I can't remember if it's on the schedule or not. As I mentioned, the Side Street Strutters are no longer there. The Mayor of Main St. reads a proclamation and so on. To save money, TDA may have gotten rid of the Mayor - or maybe he is in rehab or incarcerated. But they used to do it every night during Christmas and it was wonderful. I've witnessed it many times with tear filled eyes. ;)

Tinkermell
10-28-2006, 03:58 PM
How could everybody forget the snow??? It is positively magical!!! I get tears in my eyes when they pipe in "White Christmas," and then it starts to snow. But now I have a question? I've seen SW all lit up and it's just beautiful. Am I missing some light show at SW??? Another question. We are staying at GC for the first time, and looking forward to their Christmas tree. Are they not having it or something???:confused: Thanks!

Malcon10t
10-28-2006, 06:07 PM
How could everybody forget the snow??? It is positively magical!!! I get tears in my eyes when they pipe in "White Christmas," and then it starts to snow. But now I have a question? I've seen SW all lit up and it's just beautiful. Am I missing some light show at SW??? Another question. We are staying at GC for the first time, and looking forward to their Christmas tree. Are they not having it or something???:confused: Thanks!
After the fire last year.... They probably will, its just not written up. If you stay atthe GCH, they have story time.

Leap for Joy
10-28-2006, 06:09 PM
But now I have a question? I've seen SW all lit up and it's just beautiful. Am I missing some light show at SW???
Yes, they turn off all the lights on the facade of IASW and then project images onto it that are choreographed to music. I love it! I don't know how often it happens because we chanced upon it last year.

itig
10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes, they turn off all the lights on the facade of IASW and then project images onto it that are choreographed to music. I love it! I don't know how often it happens because we chanced upon it last year.

If I recall, I think it happened every 15 minutes...

Another Dimension
10-28-2006, 07:31 PM
How could everybody forget the snow??? It is positively magical!!! I get tears in my eyes when they pipe in "White Christmas," and then it starts to snow.

I mentioned Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks! ;) :D