PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Hotel

Kricky
10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
We (me, hubby, and 5-year-old) just got back from a 4-night stay at the GCH. We had a great time! We checked in around 10:30am, but our room wasn't ready. It sounds like it's just standard operating procedure to not have rooms available until after 3 or 4pm. Bell services stored our luggage while we went to Disneyland for a few hours. Once we were able to get into our room, we called bell services and our luggage was brought up within a few minutes. A nice touch would be to have the luggage waiting for us in the room.

We were in a standard room with two queen beds on the 6th floor. We had a balcony that overlooked the courtyard, and we could barely see the top of the Disneyland Hotel. It looks like most of the rooms have a nice balcony. Our room was very comfortable and nicely appointed. I liked the black-out shades, but it didn't do us much good - we were too excited to sleep! Our room came with with a coffee maker, iron and ironing board, in-room safe, and some nice toiletries. It's not often you see separate shampoo and conditioner provided in hotel rooms, as well as mouthwash. We had the refrigerator locked, and requested an empty fridge in the room. We stocked it with a few things from the White Water Snack shop near the pool. It was more expensive than buying things at a grocery store, but it was convenient. We ordered room service one day, and they quoted us 30-40 minutes, but we got it within 15-20 minutes.

The pool is really nice. They have robes to wear to the pool, and towels are available in the pool area. They also have life jackets. My daughter loved the water slide! There are two hot tubs, and a kiddie pool area. The kiddie pool was probably 6-8" deep.

In all, our experience at the hotel was just fine. Our room was located close to the elevators near the entrance to CA, so that was very convenient - especially since my daughter wanted to ride Grizzly River Run over and over and over! A bit longer to walk to Disneyland, but not a big deal. We didn't encounter any problems, and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

disneychick
10-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for sharing! :) We're headed to the GCH in 2 weeks, and can't wait. :D How did you find the room service menu? Was there a good selection, was it crazy expensive (probably!)?

Also, did you find the rooms nice and quiet?

Kricky
10-27-2006, 06:56 AM
We found the rooms to be very quiet. Then again, we were on the top floor, near the end of a dead-end hallway. I'd imagine you'd hear more hallway noise if your room is located on the main hallway or closer to the elevators. From our balcony we could hear a little of the Downtown Disney music, but it wasn't very loud, and we had to have our slider open to hear it.

I thought the room service menu was just fine. They seemed to have a nice selection. I guess the Storyteller Cafe kitchen prepares the room service food. You could probably just get some takeout items from the Storyteller Cafe to save on all the service charges, delivery fee, etc.

princess- ada
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
We too just got back from GCH for a 4 night stay. We loved it. Every night my son looked forward to seeing how the turndown service had arranged his stuffed animals on the bed. The staff was amazing. Origianily we had an awful room (our view was a roof & a roof). We talked to guest service and they changed us to a courtyard room. The only thing missing was the Monorail running through. We loved everything about it. We have now been forever spoiled!!!!

Kricky
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, that would have been really neat to watch the monorail going through the courtyard from our room! (Does it make a stop at GCH?) I think we're spoiled now, too. I can't imagine staying anywhere else and having a long walk back to the hotel, or waiting for the shuttles at the end of the day. Especially with kids, the convenience and location of GCH can't be beat. Better start saving now for our next trip! :D

biolabetty
10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
We love watching the monorail go by our room, and are always amazed at how quiet it is. We purposely asked for a courtyard room at Christmas time to watch the monorail. Unfortunately it does not stop at the GCH but it does at DTD.