PDA

View Full Version : Am I Old Or Is The Pink Floyd Concert On PBS Damn Good?

I Heart Disneyland!
09-12-2006, 11:09 PM
My hubby and I just watched a Pink Floyd concert on PBS (yes, it's money time on PBS)....and it was outstanding! They sounded so great and I am not on Amazon.com buying the DVD. Am I old, or are these old classic bands just really, really good?

09-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Am I old, or are these old classic bands just really, really good?

Hey, I heard Led Zep's "Goin' to California" on the radio yesterday. It was really, really good and I miss that band.

Those pre-MTV bands had their pretty front men but they made it mostly on their sound.

sdfilmcritic
09-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I enjoy Pink Floyd as well!

stan4d_steph
09-13-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't like Pink Floyd. I think the music was designed to sound better while stoned.

It's too slow and whiny.

brazen wench
09-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Am I old, or are these old classic bands just really, really good?
Considering that I spent a big chunk of my summer watching Rockstar Supernova, of course, you're not old (if I thought that, it would mean that I'm ancient :D). I loved Pink Floyd back in the day--and I'm very grateful that I can remember those days :D.

tinker3
09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
My husband still thinks Pink Floyd is the best band ever. It was the first concert he ever saw with his bothers. I don't love or dislike them, and he can't understand why I don't LOVE them!:fez:

kisroo
09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Mr kisroo is huge on Pink Floyd.
While I think David Gilmore's new album is good and that the musicians who made/make up Pink Floyd are very talented, I'm with Steph on this one.

And it's just too darn depressing for me.

~kisroo

Osky
09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
My husband still thinks Pink Floyd is the best band ever.

In terms of album sales, they are, aren't they?

Mark Goldhaber
09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Just because Pink Floyd's output should be subtitled "Music for the Apocalypse" (especially the Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon albums) doesn't mean that it isn't great. It was perfect for a good portion of my college years.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Considering that I spent a big chunk of my summer watching Rockstar Supernova, of course, you're not old (if I thought that, it would mean that I'm ancient :D). :D.

Don't think so...I am probably older! I am 45.

About them sounding depressing, it's funny, but, my hubby finds almost ALL of the 80's music really depressing sounding. He loves Pink Floyd.

brazen wench
09-14-2006, 03:35 AM
I am probably older!
Nope. I'm like the Mott the Hoople song: Born Late '58 :D.

tinker3
09-14-2006, 11:08 AM
In terms of album sales, they are, aren't they?

I am sure they are up there, but I would guess that bands like the Beatels etc. would have them beat!

Klutch
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I remember reading an article in Wall Street Journal about Dark Side of the Moon years ago. The article described how that album had enjoyed steady sales since it's debut. It pretty never stopped selling and was among the best sellers, if not the best seller, of all popular music. I'll have to do some research on this, since the WSJ article was probably about 8 years ago.

What's really interesting about The Floyd is how "underexposed" they've always been. Seeing them on TV is pretty unusual. They did a few MTV videos, but only late their career. Before that, most people had no idea what the band members even looked like.

A friend loaned me a DVD he has which documents the making of Dark Side of the Moon. For Floyd fans of any kind, it's downright fascinating and I highly recommend it. I recently bought a copy of that album on CD. It's remastered in 5.1 surround. Unfortunately, it was done in a format which requires a very expensive amplifier to actually hear it in 5.1. Sorry, I'm not willing to spend that much to hear the Floyd in surround.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Nope. I'm like the Mott the Hoople song: Born Late '58 :D.

Hahahahhah!!!!! I know the one you speak of. Only 3 years off, that's not much!!!!

I Heart Disneyland!
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
. They did a few MTV videos, but only late their career. Before that, most people had no idea what the band members even looked like.

You must be in my generation Klutch. We never knew what bands looked like in my days as a teen, etc. Unless you bought the album, etc. you really didn't know. Of course, we all knew what the Beatles and Stones looked like, but, some you never knew. Now, I see them on t.v. and I am thinking, "Wow, he's the lead singer of Three Dog Night?"

tod
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
My hubby and I just watched a Pink Floyd concert on PBS (yes, it's money time on PBS)....and it was outstanding! They sounded so great and I am not on Amazon.com buying the DVD. Am I old, or are these old classic bands just really, really good?

I haven't seen Pink Floyd in, jeez, has it been 20 years? Whenever The Wall was, that was the last time I saw 'em. Mostly for the spectacle, I
had seen them several times at the Santa Monica Civic before I saw them for the first-ever performance of Dark Side Of The Moon in London in 1973 which I hated, wondering "What is this commercial [garbage]?" Haven't listened to anything of theirs since, except The Wall, once, live.

They were always good showmen and excellent musicians, though. None of this noodling around what-do-we-play-next garbage. It was a show.

--t

Klutch
09-14-2006, 07:48 PM
You must be in my generation Klutch. We never knew what bands looked like in my days as a teen, etc. Unless you bought the album, etc. you really didn't know. Of course, we all knew what the Beatles and Stones looked like, but, some you never knew. Now, I see them on t.v. and I am thinking, "Wow, he's the lead singer of Three Dog Night?"

I hear ya on that. I bought AC/DC's Highway to Hell album shortly after it was released. I didn't know which guy on the cover was Bonn Scott. I wrongly assumed it was the guy wearing the schooboy uniform and horns (which, of course, was Angus Young). :D A classmate later told me Scott was the guy leaning into the picture wearing the pentagram necklace. Most of my other classmates were just as surprised as I was.

Of course, the biggest surprise was when I first saw Rush on HBO's Video Jukebox. Geddy Lee was singing Trees. I kept wondering, "Is that a guy, or a really homely woman?". I later became a big fan of the band, not caring what they looked like. I'm still a big Rush fan.

Another Dimension
09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Pink Floyd WAS that good.

Just because Pink Floyd's output should be subtitled "Music for the Apocalypse" (especially the Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon albums)

Pink Floyd?!?!
The Apocalypse? Wha...?
:rolleyes:

Try GWAR or GODFLESH or FOETUS if you want appropriately fitting and not confusingly mellow soundtracks to the apocalypse. :~D

Unless 'apocalypse' no longer means 'end of the world'. :eek:

Klutch
09-17-2006, 08:33 AM

I went to a party Friday night where we were watching a Floyd concert from '94 on DVD. The concert was in England in a very large stadium and had amazing laser effects and giant props, including a flaming airplane. Was this the same concert PBS was showing?

I Heart Disneyland!
09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
It was called Pulse. http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Pulse-David-Mallet/dp/B000BTC5LW/sr=8-1/qid=1158535823/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8249485-2897548?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Not sure what year it was made. The DVD just came out. It may be the 1994 concert....it didn't look that old, but, could be! ha! It was the first I'd seen it.

crazi4dlr
09-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Pink Floyd!! Yeah, my favorite band of all time. I must admit that I don't know much of their stuff before Dark Side of the Moon nor after The Wall. My husband knows so much more about the band. Maybe Wish You Were Here is so depressing because it was Roger Waters' tribute to Sid Barrett? Who, by the way, just died in the last few months. I thought the guy died a long time ago? I just liked the music. I remember seeing a movie of a concert they did at the Coliseum in Rome as an opener for The Song Remains the Same and I was bored to death. But I got to see them live in '88 in Oakland in the pouring rain and they rocked every minute of that concert. Now I've passed down my love to my 16 yo ds, a great heritage! ;)

I Heart Disneyland!
09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
My favorite song of theirs is "Comfortably Numb". LOVE it!

Osky
09-19-2006, 01:24 PM
But I got to see them live in '88 in Oakland in the pouring rain and they rocked every minute of that concert. Now I've passed down my love to my 16 yo ds, a great heritage! ;)

Sweet. I saw then in Oakland in 1994 when they did the Division Bell tour. Awesome!