PDA

View Full Version : Hours of operation

Nettfrankie
08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm fairly new to the board but have been an avid reader and have enjoyed reading the posts for sometime. My DL son and I are Disney freaks like pretty much everyone else here. I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out...and if this was a previous post, I apologize. But does anyone know why DL is closing at 11:00pm M-Th? We take a trip every year during the summer months and the park has always stayed open until midnight. We were there 2 weeks ago and not only did the park close every night at 11:00 but the fireworks were cancelled every night we were there. We understand that is because of the wind factor but we were bummed that we had to leave the park an hour earlier than we were used to. :crying:

backsthepack
08-16-2006, 04:03 AM
I believe the answer is simply the fact that it is S-Th, less traffic than Friday and Saturday. I am not sure if that is the answer or not, but that is what I think.

potzbie
08-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Are you saying that, last year, it was not the case?

Malcon10t
08-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Are you saying that, last year, it was not the case?Last year the park was open til midnight thru most of Aug, this year, they started closing at 11pm in mid July for Sun-Thurs. Probably a cost cutback.

annieb727
08-16-2006, 07:28 AM
I would probably guess it's a cost related decision too.

HydroGuy
08-16-2006, 07:44 AM
For many years DL has been open until midnight during mid-summer. This year was indeed different. I read that the decision was based on data on how many rides visitors were experiencing. Since POTC re-opened in June with its high capacity capability (when it is working ;)) visitors were on average experiencing between 9 and 10 rides per day. Apparently there is historical data that if visitors experience at least 8 rides per day they are happy, but less than 8 makes for unhappy visitors.

With the rides per day creeping up, DL management apparently felt they could cut back an hour and still keep people happy with at least 8 rides - and save some money. So they did it this summer. It might only be a test which is reversed next summer back to midnight closings, or it might become the new normal.

Nettfrankie
08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the information, I can understand managements reasoning with the ride "quota" being met for the guests but you would think with the 50th still going and winding down that they'd still stay open til midnight during the summer months. When we were there 2 weeks ago, the park was still very, very crowded at the 11:00 closing. We are planning another trip in October and even though the park hours are not posted yet, I know they will be the offseason hours.

ToursbabeC3po
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
It also has to do with not having enough cast members to cover 3 shifts.