PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with experience with a "non" eater at a buffet?

MammaSilva
06-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Since we've gotten the blue light for the much anticipated trip to Disney in Sept, I've been looking at what we'll have to do differently than before. Today I called the dining line and asked how they handled a person sitting at the table with the rest of her party but wasn't eating....at the sit down/counter locations this isn't a problem, but at the buffets it presents a different situation. Anyone out there with any experience on how they would handle her feeding tube issue?

Andrew
06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Anyone out there with any experience on how they would handle her feeding tube issue?
If it's not, "No problem, would she appreciate a beverage? On the house of course!" I would be very surprised.

MammaSilva
06-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I actually was sort of expecting that type of response and what I got was ummmmm we're not sure, I think she has to pay but might get a discount....granted I'm not going to FEED her at the table (talk about bringing in outside foods) but the dining line CM really didn't know and couldn't find the answer for me....so I was hoping someone else who had possibly been there done that could help with their experience. :confused:

cstephens
06-28-2006, 07:18 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't go with what the dining line CM tells you because they usually have no actual experience at the restaurants and so really wouldn't know how it's handled. Do you know which buffet you want to go to? If so, I'd recommend calling the dining line and then asking to be transferred to that restaurant to speak to a manager, and then talk to a manager to get a better idea of what they can do. If you can't get through to the restaurant/a manager (sometimes the dining people will be willing to transfer you and sometimes not - I have a tip for how to best accomplish that - if you want to know, PM me), I'd be willing to stop by sometime in the next couple weeks to ask for you.

The other thing you can do is go through the official Disneyland.com website and send them an feedback letter with the inquiry. At least that way, whatever response they send you back will be official, and it's something you can print out and bring with you.

Crazy4DL
06-28-2006, 07:20 PM
I sure hope Andrew's thinking is Disneyland's thinking on something like this, MS. It sure should be. We all know what happens to should be sometimes though.

Hoping for a logical CM for you to deal with. :)

MammaSilva
06-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Cindy, if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to check on it for me...when we come for the Princess meet/greet...I will most likely have my niece along and she asked if we could eat at the Miss Minnie (Plaza) breakfast, I don't mind paying the price for us but to be honest, I'm not excited to pay 22 bucks for Missy to sit there and get a few autographs/pictures but don't want to tell my niece no either...more information would definately help...you can tell them she does drink liquids but she'd most likely have her own beverage cup already in hand.

mystycalchyk
06-29-2006, 07:12 AM
I cant imagine that they would make you pay for her. Perhaps if you got a doctors note?
I know I have a note that is laminated given to me by my doctor for when I go into a restaurant after my surgery that says "This person has undergone a bariatric surgical procedure for weight loss, please allow them to order from the childrens menu" (or something like that)

honeymoon @disney
06-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Is this about Ms. Brandy? If so, I wouldn't worry. They'll take one look at that beautiful face and be waiting on her hand and foot!! Just be sure Prince Charming doesn't run off with her!! :p

WDW heart
06-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine they would make her pay. Probably the CM is just not familiar with the situation but it has to have arisen before.

MrsPooh
06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Is this about Ms. Brandy? If so, I wouldn't worry. They'll take one look at that beautiful face and be waiting on her hand and foot!! Just be sure Prince Charming doesn't run off with her!! :p

Aw, that was so sweet!

Better keep an eye on our beautiful princess, MS. She just might be carried off in a horse drawn carriage! ;)

zombie pirate
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I take it she is handicaped, The persons with disabilities act comes to mind.

rentayenta
06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I can't imagine they would try and make you pay for Missy B.

SeansMom
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I read something on here once about stopping by City hall (?) and getting some sort of disbility pass. Maybe something like that could help????
But I do like the idea of going to the official page and emailing them. I've gotten several answers that way. Good luck...and watch out for that prince charming ;).
And by the way...congratulations on Missy B being well enough to take this trip! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

Malcon10t
06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
If we go to the buffets next week, we will be in a similar situation. I will let you know what we find. And its great to hear you and Brandy will get to come back down in Sept! Wave as you pass thru Modesto!

DianeM
06-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Do you mean a buffet where the goal is to eat, or one of the character meals? If you are talking about a character meal, where the food is secondary to the "meet and greet" aspect, then I'd expect you to get a discount. If it's just a regular buffet, with no characters, then I'd expect her to get in free. You may have a problem, though, convincing the CM's that she should get in free. I'm sure that guest services has dealt with something like this before.

Today I called the dining line and asked how they handled a person sitting at the table with the rest of her party but wasn't eating....at the sit down/counter locations this isn't a problem, but at the buffets it presents a different situation. Anyone out there with any experience on how they would handle her feeding tube issue?

RedwoodMaiTai
06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
My 11 year old nephew also has a feeding tube (he has had it since he was 6 months old). We have never encountered a problem at any dining location, be it a Disney restaurant or one in our home town, buffet or sit down.

When the waitress comes to take our order, and asks what my nephew will be having, my sister gently explains that he has a feeding tube and won't be able to eat. We eat out frequently and have never had a server question us.

BlkPearlCptn
06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
My 11 year old nephew also has a feeding tube (he has had it since he was 6 months old). We have never encountered a problem at any dining location, be it a Disney restaurant or one in our home town, buffet or sit down.

When the waitress comes to take our order, and asks what my nephew will be having, my sister gently explains that he has a feeding tube and won't be able to eat. We eat out frequently and have never had a server question us.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest doing..just explain that she has a feeding tube and won't be able to eat. (And also..yes, there is the ADA!)

Hope she (and you) have a magical time at Disneyland...:D

EDIT: Just had to add...one of my favorite memories was about 10 years ago. It was Happy Hearts Day and a number of us were in line for Splash Mountain. There was a girl and (caregiver/brother?) in front of us. She appeared to be about 18 - 20 and looked to have fairly severe Cerebral Palsy. The gentleman swooped her up and carried her to the log. Sat her down (him behind her) and the two of them were just laughing for the entire time, the most heartful, full, unrestricted laughs I have ever heard. (that was MY magic moment) So again, go have have a GREAT time!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't have any insight on this situation, but I also wanted to say congratulations that Missy is well enough to make the trip! I look forward to your trip report and pictures!

doombuggy driver
06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
This has got to be the nicest thing I have ever read! This is the happiest discussion board on earth! I hope that you all have fun and enjoy the Minnie's breakfast! (it is awesome!)