PDA

View Full Version : Is DLR slipping or cutting back...?

Pages : [1] 2

notthesun
03-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Is DLR slipping or cutting back on maintenance? My family and I just spent three days at DLR (we go at least one or two times a year) and this trip was unlike any other we have taken. Three of the first four attractions we lined up for broke down (Matterhorn, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours). Throughout the course of our trip we encountered other outages at Mulholland Madness, Jungle Cruise, California Screamin' (while we were in the car) and even the Mission Tortilla Factory.

Another new experience was the appearance of difficulty keeping up with the volume of guests in the restaurants. In the past traffic has moved smoothly, spills and messes were dealt with promptly and the cast has been very responsive. This time, though, the pizza restaurant at Tommorowland was very chaotic. The salad bar there was barren. We had to ask for a manager to get a salad and salad dressing. There were large spills on the floor leading to registers there. We advised a cast member of the spill who glanced at the spill, shrugged and walked away. I have to believe this is not typical. In all our other visits the staff has been outstanding, save for the time a cast member asked me for money so he could take the bus home.

Are there controls in place to help better manage the upkeep of the best park in the world?

notthesun

ToursbabeC3po
03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
There is a high percentage of new hires right now because a lot of people have been termed or quit so things are not running smoothly. Sorry you had such a bad experiance.

cfrith
03-24-2006, 07:51 PM
There is a high percentage of new hires right now because a lot of people have been termed or quit so things are not running smoothly. Sorry you had such a bad experiance.

That's just great- just in time for our vacation...:rolleyes:

Disnerd
03-24-2006, 08:16 PM
And don't forget foods is very under staffed thanks to the crummy contract they approved and presenteeism. Come on people, there is another job fair going on. Get down here and apply.

TP2000
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Is DLR slipping or cutting back on maintenance? My family and I just spent three days at DLR (we go at least one or two times a year) and this trip was unlike any other we have taken. Three of the first four attractions we lined up for broke down (Matterhorn, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours). Throughout the course of our trip we encountered other outages at Mulholland Madness, Jungle Cruise, California Screamin' (while we were in the car) and even the Mission Tortilla Factory.

Welcome to the boards. You visit Disneyland once or twice a year but you've never posted here before, so welcome. ;-)

Just curious, but how does the Mission Tortilla Factory break down? What was that experience like?

notthesun
03-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Perhaps I unfairly lumped the tortilla factory in my comment when it should be considered a different type of attraction. In the case of the factory we were greeted by a cast member at the door who told us the factory was closed. When we asked why we were told she couldn't tell us but that it should be opened shortly. We watched various cast members turn guests away for about 40 minutes while waiting for lunch at the Wine Country Trattoria. I'm curious what would cause the factory to close. Were the video's not working? Did the tortilla machine stop working?

It was a cool, windy day. A warm tortilla would have really hit the spot.

Abigail's Uncle
03-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Were the video's not working?

You mean the videos?

Sorry, a quick tangent but a nagging pet peeve. if we used apostrophe's for all word's that were pluralized such as video's, photo's, or even words that just ended in "s" like choru's or proper names like Gu's, we would break our apo'strophe key from overu'se!

As was discussed here once before, people wear family reunion shirts which say "The Johnson's" never realizing they misspelled their family's name.

TowerofTerror
03-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Welcome nothesun to the boards.Glad you are on here. Well guess the park was due for this. Well Disneyland worker work many hours we even the ones that go to college. they ARE OVERWORKED MY girlfriend worked there.

geoffa
03-25-2006, 05:01 AM
You mean the videos?

Sorry, a quick tangent but a nagging pet peeve. if we used apostrophe's for all word's that were pluralized such as video's, photo's, or even words that just ended in "s" like choru's or proper names like Gu's, we would break our apo'strophe key from overu'se!

As was discussed here once before, people wear family reunion shirts which say "The Johnson's" never realizing they misspelled their family's name.

Off topic I know but....Sorry to be pedantic on this one but "photo" is an abbreviation of "photographs" so "photo's" is perfectly acceptable and gramatically correct. However, I do agree with the over use and misuse of apostrophes. We have a cafe nearby where I live that paid for a signwriter who wrote "FreshlEy made sandwiches". I'd have been after a refund for that job.:)

geoffa
03-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Is DLR slipping or cutting back on maintenance? .... There were large spills on the floor leading to registers there. We advised a cast member of the spill who glanced at the spill, shrugged and walked away.....

And that is what City hall and Guest Relations is for, people!:rolleyes:

And as for the tortilla factory being closed - maybe, they were waiting for a flour delivery?:rolleyes:

chrisaustx
03-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Disneyland can't hire enough people to work there, on Thursday a big Disneyland job fair was conducted on Ball Rd. The job fair was advertised constantly on the radio, they even put out nice balloons in front of Team Disney Anaheim to lure people in. The maintenance, foods and attractions people make on avg. $8.50 an hour to start, nobody will stay at Disneyland long. I have noticed this past week that garbage is left on the ground at the park much longer than usual, and the foods people seem to all be high school age kids now. Unless Disneyland starts to pay well, like it used to years ago, the place will always be shorthanded.

newhdplayer
03-25-2006, 07:31 AM
You mean the videos?

Stay on target.

cfrith
03-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Disneyland can't hire enough people to work there, on Thursday a big Disneyland job fair was conducted on Ball Rd. The job fair was advertised constantly on the radio, they even put out nice balloons in front of Team Disney Anaheim to lure people in. The maintenance, foods and attractions people make on avg. $8.50 an hour to start, nobody will stay at Disneyland long. I have noticed this past week that garbage is left on the ground at the park much longer than usual, and the foods people seem to all be high school age kids now. Unless Disneyland starts to pay well, like it used to years ago, the place will always be shorthanded.

It is unacceptable that a place like DLR is not kept cleaner. I've talked to a few people that have been to both WDW and DLR (I've only been to DLR) and they have all said that DLR is not nearly as clean as WDW. That's terrible in my opinion. After all the money we pay to go there...ugh.

mckygirl99
03-25-2006, 09:50 AM
It is unacceptable that a place like DLR is not kept cleaner. I've talked to a few people that have been to both WDW and DLR (I've only been to DLR) and they have all said that DLR is not nearly as clean as WDW. That's terrible in my opinion. After all the money we pay to go there...ugh.

Well when I went last Wednesday. I saw several people cleaning and the park seemed very clean to me. I usually go about once a week and I really haven't noticed a huge difference but maybe I am getting numb to it b/c I go so often.

I have been to WDW and as far as cleaniness, we found it to about the same as Disneyland. Trust me if you go any other amusement park in the area, you'll appreciate how nice and clean DL really is (which is why I refuse to visit DLR's closest neighbor) ;)

Skunker
03-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I have noticed this as well....I always wonder why ticket prices keep going up, up, up and service and apparently wages are going down. $8.50 an hour in southern CA? How can anyone make it on that? I live in a small town and no one here can even make it on that...

Just my 2 cents. I still think it's the greatest place on earth, but I did notice more cast member apathy last time I went, and it's definetly getting pricer. (No flames from cast members please, I can see why you are frustrated!)

screamin4ever
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Disneyland can't hire enough people to work there...unless Disneyland starts to pay well, like it used to years ago, the place will always be shorthanded.

You got it! Too bad corporate greed is blinding the people at the top.

Abigail's Uncle
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
"photo" is an abbreviation of "photographs" so "photo's" is perfectly acceptable and gramatically correct.

Hey GeoffA,

I hereby swear I'm absolutely, positively not trying to be challenging but I'm actually just driven by curiosity to ask: how is an apostrophe in the spelling of photos (when referring to the plural of a photo) acceptable or correct?

According to that rule wouldn't it also be acceptable to write, "I saw lots of auto's today" since auto is short for automobile?

Unless there's some grammar rule I'm unaware of, I thought apostrophes were solely for possessives, not pluralizing nouns (or "noun's") :)

potzbie
03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
I hereby swear I'm absolutely, positively not trying to be challenging but I'm actually just driven by curiosity to ask: how is an apostrophe in the spelling of photos (when referring to the plural of a photo) acceptable or correct?

Abilgail's Uncle, geoffa is incorrect.
But let's not turn this thread into a spelling Nazi thread.

The apostrophe in geoffa's "photo's" is incorrect, since the apostrophe is neither (a.) a possessive; (b.) a contraction.

There is no apostrophe in plurals, according to the rule.
Just add "s" or "es" or for Latin words, "i".
Or recast the sentence.

There may be exceptions for single letters, or for symbols that need the apostrophe to set off the plural S from the rest of the word.

e.g., "... six A's, four U's, eleven I's, ..."
(You would not write, "Six As, four Us, eleven Is.")
(Words ending in "ss" or "es" might justify the apostrophe if clarity demands it, like proper nouns or foreign words.)

Just look up the Chicago Manual or Style, or the AP Stylebook; or Garner's Modern American Usage, or Elements of Style, etc., ON YOUR OWN.

If I spun 180 degrees for every typo I caught in a posting, they would name me "Tornado Potzbie."
:mad:

... back to our reguarly scheduled programming ...

Malcon10t
03-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey GeoffA,

According to that rule wouldn't it also be acceptable to write, "I saw lots of auto's today" since auto is short for automobile?

Unless there's some grammar rule I'm unaware of, I thought apostrophes were solely for possessives, not pluralizing nouns (or "noun's") :)
They are also used in shortening words replacing the letter or letters, ie don't, isn't, it's. So photo's could be correct.

GrumpyUTboi
03-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow's, that pet's peeve's must's get's under's your's skin's. There's must's be's "alot" of's people's that drive's you's crazy's.

As for DL it was dirty when we were there in Dec, but with all the people that were there I wouldn't expect anything less. Then again having our strollers stolen on a daily basis wasn't fun.

We did go to city hall and give several employees praise because of a job well done. We knew that the food service was short handed when we saw the the same employee at different food stations for 12 hours. I told him that if I didn't know any better, I thought that he was trying to flirt with Mrs Grumpy. SO for the rest of the week when we saw him he would give my wife a wink or blow a kiss to her. It was refreshing to see in the midst of all the problems that there were still some employees with a sense of humor.

gimp_boy76
03-25-2006, 06:24 PM
That's funny because my boss said the exact opposite when he got back from WDW a few months ago. I think it can sometimes be biased by favortism (he stayed at the resort and felt trapped, i.e. had to pay for expensive mediocre meals, etc.). He swore never to go back to WDW but is planning to go back to DLR.

CamCay
03-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Unfortunate bad experience, our annual trip in December was the best ever, could it possibly have gone downhill that fast? Exceptionally clean, wonderful experience. Only ran into one unhappy cast member (she was like 84 so my guess is she would have been unhappy anywhere), stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and cast members there were great. Nothing dirty, no spills, etc. We swore maintenance people must have popped up out of the ground to grab the trash and dropped right back down before you could see them!! It was our little joke. We have occasionally landed in line for a ride that was shut down before we got on, luckily, have never been stranded actually on a ride before. And three trips a year for the past five years, i think that is a pretty good track record.

Sorry in advance about punctuation, grammar, etc., as obviously that will be pointed out in future posts. Get a life....

Wesley815
03-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Only ran into one unhappy cast member (she was like 84 so my guess is she would have been unhappy anywhere), ...We swore maintenance people must have popped up out of the ground to grab the trash and dropped right back down before you could see them!! It was our little joke.

Sorry in advance about punctuation, grammar, etc., as obviously that will be pointed out in future posts. Get a life....LOL!!! Great post! just had to re-quote everything you said... from the 84 year old grump, to the underground maintenance CM's and the grammar wackos out there. All I have to say is I AGREE! :D

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/icons/icon14.gif Two thumbs up to you! http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

chrisaustx
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
I went to Disneyland around 7pm tonight, as I went down the escalator; I noticed, a banana peel, garbage and other items thrown on top of the far south escalator awning. The banana peel looked like it has been there awhile, so much for the parking garage being clean..

tmptink
03-26-2006, 06:57 AM
You know DL and/or WDW would be a lot cleaner if people would use a trash can and not the ground.