Pages : [1] 2

eryn
03-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Im so sad to be home!

Cast

me 28, mom of hailey 9, disneyland freak, 9th time
sarah 28, best freind, mom of brandon 6, 1st time
mark TBD, BIL, dad of tara, 1st time

I have been annoying my freinds for the past few years with my constant talk of disneyland. This time i said, 'well, why dont you come with us?". Well, they both decided to. We live in small town British Columbia so the snow was beginning to make us all crazy and a little sun helps the winter go by faster.

Pre-trip
The kids all went to school on monday while we stayed home and packed. Picked up mark and tara, then sarah and brandon and drove to the hotekl near the airoport 150 km away. Had supper and went to bed. Not many of us could sleep. "we're to excited to sleep!" Our favorite commercial.

Day 1
Up at 5 and to the airport at 6, on the plane at 7. Stop in Vancouver and catch the next plane at 10:30 and on our way to sunny california! YAHOO
Arrive in california at 1 and get the shuttle to the Hojo's. I had not stayed at the hojos before but had read alot about it form MP and trip advisor so i thought id try it. We had 2 connecting rooms in tower 2. I was concernerd about the traffic noise the first night and then i actually didnt even notice it the rest of the trip. The grounds are done very beutifully. The people at the front desk were very nice but they were kind of confused when i said i dont own a credit card to put the deposit down. They should have just said cash or credit card but it took them a while to figure out that cash works just as well. our room did look worn out. not dirty or wrecked, just that it needs a few new things, like mattresses. my back hurt the whole time, and that sucked. the pillows were awsome, though! The coffe maker and fridge were both WAY to small for us. I actually would base my not staying there again on the fact that the fridge was too small, there was no microwave and no continental breakfast. i knew these things coming here but didnt realize how much i would miss them. However, i would stay here again if there were no kids to feed and I could just eat out whenever!
So we get to the hotel and all the kids want to do is swim. So we all went down to the pool while the adults rested in the hot tub. The pool area is great. We then get hungry and go to the resturaunt across the street, (millies?), i had read about it here and wanted to try it. It was great! We love the srvice, food and atmosphere. Definatly going there again! Went back for another swim and then early to bed.

Stay tuned for day 2

Zomie
03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Eryn, Lookin forward to the rest of your report. Goin March 28 thru april 5 , stayin at the same hotel. Was wondering if i should bring my own pillow, now i will not! And funny how many people look at you funny when you tell them you do not own a credit card :) CASH, CASH ,CASH!!! Cardless 11 yrs and have a happier life for it! :) Anyways iam ranting now lol , Looking forward to any tips for a fellow B.C.er you might have! Thanks for the pillow tip!!!

bbangel
03-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Nice to see other Disney people from BC! My mom and I are heading down at the end of April. I haven't been for 16 years and this is my mom's first trip. Looking forward to the report on the rest of the trip!

eryn
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks!

Day 2

We woke and planned to be at the parks for the 10 am opening. The walk is further than many hotels but still a very managable one with kids. As soon as I got to the shuttle area and heard the music I was so happy! Im sure most of you know the feeling, Im home! We hadnt gone shopping the day before so we went to the bakery for breakfast until 9:40 and then got in line. I made my freinds stop before we went under the tunnel to read the plaque. I was having a hard time deciding what to do first. My daughter and I always go to Indiana first but thats no way to introduce newcomers so I decided to take the round trip on the railroad first so they could get a little more of an idea. So we went to the bank and got some US$ and then got in line for the train. I love hearing the train coming in! Brandon loves Buzz Lightyear so I thought that would be a good first ride so I jumped off in Tomorrowland to get FP's while they went around to MS. I ran and got them and we headed back. Brandon saw the Astro Orbiter and said he had to go on that. I left them there and went to get FP's for Autopia. When I got back Brandon had chickened out(a first of many chickens) and Hailey and Tara were just getting on. It was really quiet anyway so we didnt even use our FP's. Went to Autopia, everyone loved it, and then to Buzz. It was hailey and my first time also. We all had a good time, especially Brandon. Then Star Tours which is one of my favs.
Hailey wanted to get to BTMRR, her fav, so we went back through the hub to Fronteirland. Everyone loved that too, except Brandon. For the rest of the trip, before he would go on anything, he asked, is there ups and downs? Then Pirates, Splash, indiana jones(which became the newbies favs also, even Brandon!) and the jungle cruise. We neede groceries for the week so we left and went to Food4less. Went back to the park around 6 and went to do Indiana again. Got right into the tunnel and brandon freeked out. Poor sarah, she sat asnd waited for us. we went to Splash again and as sarahs getting Brandon into the log he freeks again so she waits for us. but when we get off they let her and i go together as the others wait. Went on pirates also on the way out for the night. The girls found churroes and fell in love, and we sat in the hot tub while they swam till bedtime.

stay tuned

amarvel
03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
sounds like you had fun, will look back to see the rest of your report :)

eryn
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
day 3

dca today

got to the gates for opening. the weather was still ok today. went right to soarin. i really like this one. it gives me such a great feeling! i think everyone else liked it to. we got a FP as we came off the ride and then went over to ToT with the girls as the other adults smoked. Very scary! That feeling in my stomach is definatly something else! Since it was warm i thought that GRR would be OK to do. Thanks to MP for giving me the info on the lockers! that was great! anyway, we all had such a great time with no wait that we did it 2 more times! i was hoping to go through the redwood creek but only the tire swing was open. so we went around towards the peir and california screamin. didnt do any of the rides along the way and as the others took another smoke break me and the girls went on california screamin(im sure glad i dont smoke!) then we walked back and did a bugs life 3d(a first for all the others) and muppets 3d. really not much else to do so we went back for a swim. i had completly forgotten about monsters inc. and i noticed that it really doesnt take more than a few hours to do the entire park and then get bored. i do love some of the rides but there needs to be some better ones put in at paradise peir, i think.
After the swim we went to DL for supper. on the way in the parade was starting so we sat and watched that. really wonderful. my daughter is now in love with the clam chowder in a bread bowl so we grabbed that and sat at the round counter by bengal BBQ while the rest of us got our food there. we did the jungle cruise and the tiki room after supper. my first time having a dole whip. YUMMY! i will definatly try to get one of those every trip! the tiki room was great as always. back to the hotel to swim, again, and bed.

stay tuned day 4 (monsoon rain day!)

yellowrosedtxn
03-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I am loving your report! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait until I can share mine!

Crazy4DL
03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh yeah, love the report! thanks for taking the time to share with us.

eryn
03-10-2006, 08:05 AM
day 4 monsoon rain day!

Now we did all by rain ponchoes before leaving canada and also brought our rain jackets, just in case. But I never expected it to rain like this! It was sprinkling when we got up at 7:30. The park opened at 8, I think, but the kids were still asleep so Mark and I decided to go to DD and do some shopping for a little bit. Well, it starts raining a little more as were walking, no biggie. Except I had worn my flip flops so I almost fell many times before I just went barefoot! The esplanade is made with the slippriest stuff ever. When we get to DD I find out that stores still werent open so we decide to just walk around a bit. And now its raining even harder. We get to Rainforest Cafe and its POURING! The water is filling up the streets and cant drain fast enough. We head back through this, since were drenched anyway! There are rivers running in places and Im walking in and inch of water. In many places it was up to my ankle and even in some, up to just under my knee!! Im short but still, that was crazy! It was so cool, though to be walking barefoot through this incredible downpour. When we got back to the hotel sarah said on the TV there was flood warnings for places!

So we wait for a little while and the rain disappears. But we still wear our jackets and runners. We hadnt really been to fantasyland yet so we go there. Do mr toad, then peter pan, then snow white. sarah and brandon do the carousel while the rest of us do the matteerhorn. Mark is freaked out! He said it was way better in the dark because you cant see where your going! We do its a small world today too. Then over to new orleans square to do pirates again before it closed(the last chance we got). Also splash and indiana jaones and food!
Then to tommorowland for buzz again. The fireworks were about to start so we just stopped and watched. there was a tree in front of us but it was still beautiful. everyone is tired and cold, except me, so they all leave. I wonder around main street and then do the first 50 years show. I liked it.
back to bed.

Ill do day 5 today because its really short!

Crowds, crowds, crowds!
I was not happy. but then again i did know it was pirates last weekend. we didnt get there till after 11 and it took us and hour to get food and it was way to busy so we just left. went to DCA and did soarin, GRR, screamin and TOT again. I wanted to see the fireworks from a good spot so we went back to DL. Did BTMRR and then went to see what kind of a spot we could find. Well, right beside a bench in the hub right between a garbage can and a minnie statue worked out great. the kids could fit between the fence and the statue and we could satnd right behind the garbage can and statue with nothing in front of us. We were about 45 min early so i took the kids for food and then we went and sat and watched the mickey cartoons. it was warm and quiet. we went back and sarah said she had a hard time trying to keep people from pushing into our spot. And then she said she had an upset stomach and brandon was tired so they left and me and the girls watched. WONDERFUL! It was beautiful, and I loved hearing walt disneys voice. After we went to try and do pirates or indiana again but it was just to cold for us(even though its -17 here right now! wet cold is worse than the dry cold i think) We went and did the 50 years show again and then went to bed.

eryn
03-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Day 6

Downtown Disney Day

We tried to stay in bed as long as we could, but the kids were up wanting to swim by 8. The girls are old enough so we let em. We wanted to check out the character warehouse befroe doing any real shopping so we took a cab there. I got a few shirts and a hat and a photo album. Not a buch of stuff but it did save me some money, and with the online coupons i printed off, a few more dollars. We also did some clothes shopping in the stores around there and then went to the food4less before getting back. We all went swimming again and then headed to DD. The girls decided that they wanted to spend some of their money on a libby lu makeover so we stopped by and asked if there was any room, and there was! At 8 and 8:20. It was about ^:30 now. Went to the lego store, the memrobilia store, checked out what movies would be playing. Sarah had wanted to try the rainforest cafe so she went and got us a ressie for 8:30. We went and played at the ESPN zone until just before 8 and then headed over to libbylu. There wasnt any other girls getting makeovers so the girls both got them done at the same time. They loved it! And they looked SO pretty afterwards! I definatly recommend it! Throughout the whole week we noticed girls from 2 to 20 with the libbylu makeovers.
We went right to the rainforest cafe and wandered around for another 15 min till our table was ready. We had an OK server and pretty good food. Werent finished until about 9:45.
Kids were tired so they went back to the hotel while I shopped at the World of disney store till about 11:15. My feet were very tired so i headed back and they were still all in the pool so i jumped in the hottub till midnight and then we all jumped in bed sad that it was our last day.

next day comin up

Imagineer In Training
03-12-2006, 09:20 AM
:)

Imagineer In Training
03-12-2006, 09:31 AM
food4less...totally worth it!! we cant even go to disneyland anymore without stopping and getting some groceries...its so nice to have some decent food in the hotel room with you rather then just eating all the crap you can get at disneyland, i mean face it....there arent to many healthy choices at dl....eating a decent meal once in a while certainly keeps everyone from getting irritable towards the end f the trip doesnt it?

On another note your trip sounded like a blast!!! im surpised to find that you werent completly impressed with the HoJo...we stay there everytime and we love it. but then again we never do need the continental breakfast and we either eat out or eat what ever we bought at the store. Ok so maybe its now DLRH or GCH but still...for a good neighbor hotel i dont think its that bad. have you ever stayed in the fairfield?? you might find that to be a little more suitable for your needs. we have stayed there twice out of our 7 or so trips we've taken and we like it alright as well although we prefer the HoJo. Unless im mistaken they have a continental breakfast and they also have a cafe of sorts somewhere in the hotel where they sell coffee and snack-y foods. The walk is a little shorter as well...although not a big difference.

cant wait to here about the end of your trip...!!!!

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Any pictures? nice trip report, I would love to see some pictures :)

eryn
03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
last Day It was the best of times and the worst of times

We had one early entry so we used it today. Well, I just about cried when i saw the lineups at 8:30, and not only at early enrty, at the regular gates as well! I really cannot understand why people would stand at the gates for probebly over 2 hours! You could probebly get in the gates in 5 min at 10:15. Anyway, so we jumped in line and were in the park by 9:10. We went over to fantasyland to do peter pan and mr toad again. Went over to the matterhorn but that wasnt open till 10, went to autopia and that wasnt open till 10. Then, since we were told by the person at a gate a few days before that toontown was open, we went there only to find it wasnt open till 11. And we had yet to go to tootown and see mickey. I really didnt see the point of early entry, for us at least. Everyone stayed and went on the carousel again as I went to autpia and waited for the fastpasses to apen, since all the kids wanted to go on it again. Then we went right to DCA. I really wanted to do soarin again, but that never panned out. We wnt to ToT since sarah hadnt gone on. Mark didnt want to so he took brandon and said hed meet us at California screamin. There wasnt a wait so we got right on and sarah got the pants scared off her! She said she was never goin on it again and then bought the picture for a memory! We got some fruit at the stand and made our wat to CS. Sarah hadnt been on it yet either, because of brandon. The three of us girls got single rider passes and jumped on and then i said id wait with brandon while they all went on. They loved it! We went on the carousel right there and then hailey wanted to do CS again so they said they'd meet us between there and mullhuland maddness. So me and hailey went on for our last ride, it was great. Then we made our way to mullhulland maddness since hailey had really wanted to do it. We stood around waiting for about 10 min and then decided to do it without them. Then we waited some more. Walked back to CS and looked. Hailey went and hung out at the wet boat thing as I walked around again. Where the heck were they? We walked to Soarin and still couldnt find them. So hailey walked one way and I walked the other way and we met at CS. Nothing. We decided, since i had eveyones passes and they had all my money, that wed go back to the room, leave the passes and get more money. on the way out i stopped a security gentleman and asked him what to do. he said to leave a messag at the lost and found place and then he very helpfully asked me their names and some distinguishing clothing in case he saw them. Sarahs wearing bright red pants and marks wearing a funny hat. So we left a message and went back to the hotel. I grabbed some more $ and we walked outt o the street and up to the crosswalk and guess who was crossing it? Yup. They said they decided to go on the ferris wheel and that they were in line for over 1/2 hour. they were sorry and didnt mean to get caught up. When they got off a security guy came up too them and said "bright red pants, funny hat. are you sarah and mark?" I really thank that security guy so much. he made me and hailey feel so much better(since i was getting pretty upset) and he actually went looking for them. Anyway, they went to the lost and found and were only about 15 min. behind us. Well, they were tired and the kids wanted to go swimming. Not me, this is my last day and im making the most of it. So, i said, this time we'll bring the walkie talkies and have a set place and time. Ok, i wanted to go to the billy hill show really bad so i asid theres one at 4 and this is where it is. it was just after 3 so i really didnt think that the kids would be out by 4 so i said just page me and well try and get the 5 show, the last one. So off i went on my own. I took my time looking and went to DL. I wanted a ride on the train but one was just leaving so i walked around until the next one pulled up and jumped on it. I got of in NOS and it was SO much quieter now with both pirates and HM being closed. I walked around in the back area taking beautiful pictures of the balconies and the street signs and flowers, all with no people in the shots! Then went to buy my jack hoodie that i was waiting for! Looked around there for a while. It was getting to 4 so i walked over to the golden horseshoe, trying to page sarah. no luck. i walked up just as the boys outside were doing a show so i watched that. i had also wanted a frame from the main street picture place so i made my way there as i tried to page them again. nope. I went back to the golden horseshoe just as the show was ending so i grabbed us 2 tables in the front. Went outside again to try and page em. The boys started another show so i just stood and watched. They are hilarious! Just as it was about to end i saw hailey running under the fronteirland sign with everyone behind her. "we cant find the walkie talkie" they said. "well i put them on the bed", "we looked everywhere". Hmmmm. I wonder, yup, i put one in my bag and then as i was leaving grabbed the other on off the bed! Id been paging my bag the whole time, and it was off so i didnt know! Anyway, were all here, lets goo sit down. Me and hailey grabbed some food. The show was great! im definatly going to make it a point to get to see them every trip, maybe even a few times a trip. So, what do we all want to do? Autopia. OK, we got FP's. Even with them the wait was 20 min. Now what? Times getting later and we still havent met Mickey. So we run to toontown and jump on Roger rabbit. that was fun. The kids pull and tug on stuff as we walk to miniies house first. Then over to mickeys, and im scared he isnt gonna be there, but he is! We get a hug and a picture from Mickey! Times a wasting, what to do? BTMRR. OK, you guys smoke while we do it. We need one last ride where all of us can go on and brandons not scared. He was really scared o IJA but said he wanted to go on it. ok we'll try. So we run over there and get on! Thinking this was our last ride of the night, it was great. But as we walked out i asked the time and it was 7:40! still 20 min! I have always gotten a picture on splash and still hadnt this trip yet. So, in the rain i might add, the two girls and me ran over to splash and got on! YAHOO! This made the trip all worth it! what a way to end a vacation. Except the stupid teenage girl behind us who pretended to vomit for the picture, but i'll just black her out. So, we walked back in the rain saying goodbye to everything and blowing kisses to our favorite rides. Grabbed a hotdog at the coke corner and walked through the stores to stay a little dryier. Then went to the end of main street and lokked back on DIsneyland for the last time, this trip of course! What stressful day, but what a wonderful night!

It was harder going with a younger child and new people bacause i didnt get to do some of the things i had wanted to like the animation building, one of my favorite places. they all thought it would be boring so i said fine, we wont. Noone but me wanted to do the bakery or tortilla tour either so i skipped them for everyone. I also had asked twice to go in the front of the trains and was told no both times. This upset me because i had read of many people doing this. The redwood creek challenge trail was closed and we had really wanted to do that, even wore our runners this time so we could try the rock climbing. We also missed the canoes and tom sawyers island, 2 things that were on my to do list. BUT, of the things i did do on my list, Billy hill, checking out the lobby of Grand California, dole whip, disneyland first 50 years, evey single one was awsome and im so glad i got to do them!

I had wanted to got his time with just my daughter and i but its so much more expensive for the hotel, thats why i asked my freinds to come split the cost. Im really glad they did come cause it was great but i think i'll just save up a little longer and just me and hailey will go next time

Thanks for taking the time to read about my trip. Im always happy to read other reports so its great to finally do one of my own. Toodleoo

yellowrosedtxn
03-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Thank you for writing your report. I have enjoyed reading everything! I can't wait to go back and I am hoping that I can take my kids - one on one soon!

Gramiangel420
03-13-2006, 08:48 AM
You helped me get phyced up about my trip. Look at my countdown clock. My favorite commercial right now, is also, the one about being too excited to sleep.
I thought the animation building would be boring, until I tried it one trip. Wow, what a bunch of cool things to do. I am sorry your friends did not try it.
I also plan to leave my DD's and my DGD and go off on my own, if they do not want to do what I do. I love CS and ToT and none of them are very fond of them.
I can hardly wait.
Thanks again,:cool:

eryn
03-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I have never been able to stay at any of the Disneyland hotels so im definatly not comparing hojo's to them. I did really enjoy hojo's alot compared to my last experience (carosel), there would just a few things, I think, that would have made it even better. The fridge was really small but since we had 2 rooms, we had more fridge space. We could have had a few more food choices with a microwave. And we did have cereal for breakie every morning but i liked the breakfast at the peacok when we went in 04. It was nice to get the kids up and someone go grab a bunch of food, toast, muffins, oatmeal, coffee, tea, whatever. It was just nice to have it all ready for us. I would definatly stay there again, no question, but those things do have a small impact on my decision. The pool area we all loved! i did a reveiw of it on tripadvisor.
And pictures? Oh, yes! I took 4 rolls, mark took 3 and sarah took 7! But, alas, none of us has a digital camera. I might be old fashioned and ignorant, but is there a way to get my negatives photos onto the computer? I would love to have them all on here!
Oh, and it was mimis that we went to and loved.
I do want to try all the hotels in the area so i can choose a favorite. And im saving the grand californian for my honeymoon! That is if i ever get hitched! for 200-500$ a night, that could be a week almost at some of the other hotels!
So if anyone does know about getting my pics on here, any help would be great! Thanks

MouseFaninQueue
03-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Way to Go Eryn!!

And all you missed back here at home was snow and more snow ...

I did, however, get a good laugh out of "small town British Columbia". I always think of Quesnel as a "small town". For those of you who don't know about Fort Fraser it has a population of about 950 people.

Here are some snippets about the place (as it is an important location in the history of our Province).

"Named after the explorer Simon Fraser, Fort Fraser is one of the oldest settlements in British Columbia, located on the Yellowhead Highway, west of Prince George. The pioneer roots of the area's history date back to the fur trade, with the establishment here of a fur-trading post in 1806 by Simon Fraser.

The town was built 4 kilometres east of the original site of Simon Fraser's fort, and is also the site of the last spike of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, driven on April 7th, 1914. The celebration is commemorated with a plaque marking the spot, and the railway is now the Winnipeg-Prince Rupert line of Canadian National (CN).

Fort Fraser was one of the most important trading posts for the Hudson Bay Trading Company for more than one hundred years, before finally closing in 1915. This east end of Fraser Lake is also recorded as the site of the first cultivated land in British Columbia."

Glad you had a good time Eryn! Hopefully you will be able to post some pics!!

eryn
03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
WOW! That was great having somebody on here know, not only where im from, but about what a historicle town i live in. Whats even more interesting is that i dont actually live in the town of fort fraser, i actually live 4 km west of fort fraser! Which puts me right near the spot of the old trading post! The area was donated to the government in the early 60's and is now beaumont provincial park. the trading post is still there, ive taken some beautiful pictures of it in each season and my daughter and her freind(who joined us on a 04 trip to DL) have nicknamed it the haunted mansion! The lake that its on is called fraser lake and about 50 years ago the natives here started leasing out lots to summer people who built cabins. Well, my parents bought one in 1990 and I've lived here in it since 1994. i dont want to get to much into this since its a DL trip report, not a my town report! but the natives have also now redone the trail from the fort here to the post in fort st james, throught the bush, around 80 kms. i havent done it yet but do want to. Anyway, im glad you liked my report and im sorry you had snow!

MouseFaninQueue
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
My company has offices in Terrace and Prince Rupert so I occassionally drive out to visit the offices and the staff there. Which means I go through Fort Fraser fairly regularly. (Ok only about 2 or 3 times a year ;))

eryn
03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
wonderful! you know, i think you and me should try and get a Disneyland Canada in the works, eh!

passthepixiedust
03-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I was born in Quesnel and have family in Prince George, although I have lived near Vancouver (Langley) pretty much my entire life. Beautiful scenery up your way though.

Oh yeah, Disney Canada, count me in. Althought part of the thrill of DL for me is the sunshine and palm trees !

MouseFaninQueue
03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Look out people the Crazy Canucks are commandeering the board!! ;)

We'll have to figure out a way to put a Canadian team together for these MouseAdventures one of these days ...

bbangel
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I think Disney Canada is a great idea!

passthepixiedust
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Look out people the Crazy Canucks are commandeering the board!! ;)

We'll have to figure out a way to put a Canadian team together for these MouseAdventures one of these days ...

Yay ! Go Team Canada ! Oh, wait.... nevermind. We need to think of a different name.