PDA

View Full Version : To do list at DLR

cfrith
02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I love reading all the great threads on here. I get so many great ideas over the weeks (and months :) ) of reading all the messages. I keep telling myself "I'll have to remember that" about a million things! But I know I'll get back from our trip and will have forgotten half of them. For example, I want to get our daughter's sillouette (where do they do that anyway?) done. Please post anything you can think of that I *must* remember to do in our 4 days at DLR!!! I will write them down and take this list with me! :)

Thank you in advance :)

findin mickeys
02-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Must see the Aladdin show in DCA and Billy Hill and the Hillbillies in DL.

downingfamily1
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi,
The sillouettes are done in a little shop on Main Street. Be sure to see the 50th fireworks if you can, they are really amazing. My family likes to eat Mickey Mouse pancakes and people watch at the Riverbelle. Just remember to have fun. You can't really go wrong-you'll be at Disneyland!
-Julie

ILovePoker
02-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Tower, Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly River Run are a must.

kimbopotamus
02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
DO get Silouettes done!!! I had my daughter's done last year and I was in tears thanking the woman who did it, just gorgeous!

DO 'It's Tough To Be a Bug' in DCA. Very cute show, we saw it twice in one day!

DO stop and shop and take pictures! I kept putting it off thinking there would be time to do it later. There wasn't. We came home without Mouse Ears OR a picture in front of the castle and I was SOOO mad at myself.

DO eat deep-fried cheesecake at the Blue Bayou, nuf said.

DO meet Alice and The Mad Hatter. They put on quite a show.

DO have fun, be a 'big kid', and smile and laugh!

PrincessLeia
02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Here's some hints for fun on Main Street:
Get to the park on a non-early entry day, right when the park opens (get in line 15-30 minutes before that.) For example, if the park is scheduled to open at 9:00 am on a non EE day, they open main street at 8:30, so get to the gates, tickets in hand around 8:15. When I was there they did a fun countdown at the main gate and then let everyone on to main street. It was very festive.

Once on main street, many characters come out so this was a great time for "meets". I saw Princess Aurora, Mad Hatter and Alice and Mary Poppins and Bert, who were playing hide and seek with some kids (!). I have heard that Alice and the Mad Hatter sometimes play games too! It is also a great time to enjoy the beauty and magic of Main Street, something that gets overlooked as the day goes on. This is a good time to get ears or hats at the mad hatter if you are so inclined.

So right at 9:00am, they do another opening w/ a rope drop at the end of main street, complete with countdown and 50th theme music...quite an adrenaline rush...for the official opening of the rest of the park. It's great! (you can sneak through the stores on the right hand side of the street to the end of main street if you want a "front row spot" for the rope drop.)

I echo the sentiments to see the Fireworks, they are awesome. Watch from Main Street or in front of the castle to see all of the effects.

More on main street: the firehouse is a cool place for kids to explore, and in the afternoon they have a flag retiring ceremony and also some more character games/interactions that are fun (Cruella de Ville was there, the Disneyland Band was playing her theme song, and she rounded up on-lookers to "model" and march around the square. It was priceless!) Grab some ice cream cones in the early afternoon on main street, grab a bench and people watch before the parade! (parade seating should be no problem on a week day).

And if you like the silouette portraits, you might want to get a drawn portrait done in New Orleans Square.

Anyhoo, enough of my babbling. With four days you will have plenty of time for fun, so be sure to schedule some rest time too. I think photos make the best souvenires so be sure to take lots!

rentayenta
02-07-2006, 07:03 PM
*Do* remember it's the happiest place on Earth and go at your child's pace.

*Do* remember to use EE if you can. You can really enjoy so much at a nice pace when it's empty.

Tiki Room is a must see and have a Dole float during the show- great fun!

The Matterhorn at night is awesome if your child will go for it.

Fireworks- WOW!

Malcon10t
02-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I love reading all the great threads on here. I get so many great ideas over the weeks (and months :) ) of reading all the messages. I keep telling myself "I'll have to remember that" about a million things! But I know I'll get back from our trip and will have forgotten half of them. For example, I want to get our daughter's sillouette (where do they do that anyway?) done. Please post anything you can think of that I *must* remember to do in our 4 days at DLR!!! I will write them down and take this list with me! :)

Thank you in advance :)You must: remember you won't be able to do it all in one trip... Depending on the age of the kids, a must do is get pics with Mickey and Princesses.

We will be playing tour guide for a German family in April. It will be their only trip. My must dos include:

Aladdin
Fireworks
Fantasmic!
Girls to meet princesses
Pictures in front of Castle
Ride the Mark Twain
Canoes
Mickey
Goofy
50th Parade
Train
Monorail
Autopia

Then rides....

cfrith
02-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Great ideas!!! Keep em' comin'!!! :)

Malcon10t
02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Great ideas!!! Keep em' comin'!!! :)
Two more I thought of...

Gotta see PUSH and the trash can guys!

Someone else already said it, but Billie Hill and the Hillbillies, and the preshow in front of the Golden Horseshoe. (My son was in the act once.)

Man, for me, there is so much to see, I'd never get around to rides!!

cfrith
02-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Gotta see PUSH and the trash can guys!

What and where is this?

ILovePoker
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Push is located in Tomorrowland. He is a talking trashcan that interacts with random guests on the walkways.

cfrith
02-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Push is located in Tomorrowland. He is a talking trashcan that interacts with random guests on the walkways.

Is he out quite often?

Malcon10t
02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Is he out quite often?
He is out most afternoons. It is a riot to watch peoples' reactions to it. If you ask at City Hall they will give you some idea of his visits.

I loved last Christmas when some guy was sitting on a rail beside a trashcan. PUSH comes out, rolls up to the guy and says "Excuse me! Excuse me! This is trash can parking!"

The trash can guys are another group of guys, drummers. They show up and do routines on trash cans. Its really a lot of fun!

TowerofTerror
02-07-2006, 09:34 PM
do Space Mountain and ride Monster Inc

disneyjunkie
02-07-2006, 10:27 PM
The silouhettes , have done, I dont know if they still do it but I just remembered I have one of my mother and I together, get the family done ;its so odd how I have forgotten about this major memorie I am hunting it down tommorrow and putting it in my Disney room as a tribute to my mom . Also try to pilot the Mark Twain , the Mark Twain and the Rivers of America have a wonderful persepctive from the pilot house. Do all the E ticket rides , but you cant leave without experiencing Small World, The Tiki Room and all the Fantasyland rides. Peter Pan, Snow White , Alice, Pinocchio , Dumbo and Casey are the roots that built the park the rides take you into the stories that Walt wanted to tell. When you walk down Main St by the Candy Palace make sure to take a deep breath and smell the candy, at the hub just sit for a few and people watch, watch those coming down Main St looking towards the castle in awe, watch the child gazing up to the balloon the vendor is holding and the looks of needing to have one of those balloons, if the characters are out by the castle watch little children run towards them for that private moment with a princess , you will head over there too! The old saying of stop to smell the roses is so true at DL dont get overwhelmed with running to this and that set a spell, take in the enviroment smell the roses.

PrincessLeia
02-08-2006, 06:04 AM
One other thing...a good way to "end" your trip (but it's good anytime during your visit, in case you might forget or be tired by the time that last night in the park rolls around...) is to visit Snow White's wishing well to the right of the castle and toss a coin in and make a wish!

cindyland
02-08-2006, 07:37 AM
This is our second trip in a one-year period. It was so crowded when we went in October that we missed quite a few "must do's." Plus my family complains if we do "Disneyland commando-style" (and I don't mean in the "Friends" way, think military) so we skipped some things knowing we would be returning in the spring.

Here are our "Must do's" for April:
1. Picture in front of the train station (Mickey flowers). I remembered this one as we were leaving the park the last night and I only had two out of three kids. Slow down at the entrance and take this picture!

2. In Fantasyland: Ride the merry-go-round and storybook canal boats, see sword in the stone show, go to storytelling at old Tinkerbelle shoppe (it's called something else now)

3. In Frontierland: Ride Thunder Mountain and Mark Twain, see Billy and the Hillbillies (I've never seen this show) and Aladdin show, eat breakfast at Riverbelle Terrace

4. In Critter Country/Adventureland: Ride the canoes and explore Tom Sawyer Island

5. In Toontown: Go to Minnie's house (4 yo daughter will never, ever forgive me if we skip this one again!) and hug Minnie

6. In Tomorrowland: See "Honey I Shrunk the Audience"

7. On Main Street: Get silouettes done (never done this either), watch Fireworks again (skip parade, been there, done that)

8. At DCA: Ride Screamin' (closed last trip), check out new Monsters Inc. ride, visit Crush again

9. In Downtown Disney: Dinner at Storytellers Cafe for hubby's b-day.

Can we do all this in 4 1/2 days, plus the regular must-do's (daily trips on Splash, etc.)? You betcha!:fez:

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Oh, get Dole Whips!!

Laffite
02-08-2006, 08:23 AM
ride the trains

blewellen
02-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Push comes out around 10am (sometimes, I have seen him as early as 9:45am) and stays out till 5pm. He has 15 minute sets and takes 30 minute breaks in between sets. Like someone said, City Hall can give you his times. I like to watch Push and the Laughing Stock, Co. (in front of the Golden Horseshoe) on the weekends. They are both must sees!

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Ride all the different vehicles down Main Street. People remember to do the bg rides, but usually forget the little things! Take a few minutes at Tiki room, get there just as the prior show closes, get a Dole Whip and sit and enjoy the whip and outside show.

And Laughing Stock is my son's favorite!!

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 09:27 AM
OK, here's one... If you don't think it would ruin it for your kids. Mine are teens and love it... About 9 pm, go to the Hungry Bear, and go sit at the very back along the river. You get to watch all the Fantasmic stuff go by and change. You can talk to the pirates and they talk back, often in character. There is another spot but my son doesn't like me to give away his special spot. (Let's just say its over by where the Mark Twain docks....)

jdee
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
One word, EVERYTHING!!!