PDA

View Full Version : Southern California Annual Pass Question [non-resident purchase]

Pages : [1] 2

mi_mous
10-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Has anyone who is not a So. Cal resident gotten an annual pass (So. Cal annual pass) before? What types of residency proof do they accept? What if you just moved down here??

Are they really strict about things, or does it just depend on the cast member?

ToursbabeC3po
10-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I often Buy southern California passes as gifts for close friends and they always ask for my Drivers license for proof of residency. I have no idea if the person you are buying it for has to be a resident because everyone I have bought one for lives in Southern California.
Toursbabe

Whittibo
10-27-2005, 06:23 PM
3 years ago I walked up to the ticket booth and just bought them. Wasn't even questioned. Last year I wanted to make sure this was still possible and contacted everyone up the chain as far as I could. The final answer was NO you can NOT buy them if you do not live there. BUT.. if you have a friend/relative that lives there they can buy them for you and you just 'activate them' when you get there.

I had a friend buy mine last year, each pass holder I think can buy up to 5 a year for friends/family. When we went to the park to activate them, the CM was very snooty about it and I even had the letter from whom ever it was, saying that a friend could purchase them. She said, "well, don't expect to do this again, they are really cutting back on the people that are allowed to have these". (as if it directly effected her in any way).

My feeling is, if I am willing to use the restricted pass and enjoy it, I should be allowed to. My family can NOT go any other time except fall, so the So. Cal pass works perfectly for us and it couldn't be a better price either.

My passes will expire on November 28th of this year and I am bummed at the thought that I might never get them again. But for $99 each, we used them for 5 days last year and 8 days this year. Can't beat that price.

Pirate Princess
10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
My passes will expire on November 28th of this year and I am bummed at the thought that I might never get them again. But for $99 each, we used them for 5 days last year and 8 days this year. Can't beat that price.

You can now rewnew them online (and should do so now since it has to be 30 days or less before it expires). I 'm not sure this will work for your given situation, but I can't imagine the computer asking for a driver's license number and verifying your place of residence.
H

stan4d_steph
10-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Has anyone who is not a So. Cal resident gotten an annual pass (So. Cal annual pass) before? What types of residency proof do they accept? What if you just moved down here??If you don't have a current government-issued ID with your SoCal address on it, you can bring a copy of a utility bill (SoCal Edison, phone bill, etc.) as proof of residency.

Wendi
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
When I bought my SoCal Select last year, they didn't care whether I had actual proof of residency, just needed an address to enter... I live in Northern California and just renewed through the mail... I chose the SoCal Select again and it was sent to me - no problem, yay! Not sure how strict they are at this time, but you should bring at least a piece of mail with your name and a qualifying address on it just in case they want to see something.

singerjosh78
01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Hello everybody,
This is my first time posting and I have a pretty serious question.

My mother lives in Southern California, and I do not. For my birthday, she purchased myself and my girlfriend a So. Cal. annual pass for each of us. We live near Sacramento, and go down to D-Land at least 4 times a year. Will we run into trouble when we try and use our tickets for the first time next month? I also am hoping to be able to upgrade for the next level up with the tickets, so we can get into the park at more convenient times. Please let me know if I might run into trouble. Thanks

Josh

stan4d_steph
01-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Mod. Note: threads merged

Petersgj
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
3 years ago I walked up to the ticket booth and just bought them. Wasn't even questioned. Last year I wanted to make sure this was still possible and contacted everyone up the chain as far as I could. The final answer was NO you can NOT buy them if you do not live there. BUT.. if you have a friend/relative that lives there they can buy them for you and you just 'activate them' when you get there.

I had a friend buy mine last year, each pass holder I think can buy up to 5 a year for friends/family. When we went to the park to activate them, the CM was very snooty about it and I even had the letter from whom ever it was, saying that a friend could purchase them. She said, "well, don't expect to do this again, they are really cutting back on the people that are allowed to have these". (as if it directly effected her in any way).

My feeling is, if I am willing to use the restricted pass and enjoy it, I should be allowed to. My family can NOT go any other time except fall, so the So. Cal pass works perfectly for us and it couldn't be a better price either.

Does anyone know if this is still the same? If my friend buys me a Southern Cal pass voucher, can I use it to get a Southern Cal pass even though I don't live in Southern Cal? If so, is there a written policy somewhere that I can bring with me in case I have any problems?

The Mouse Is Back
01-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Maybe they should just rename them "Basic" and "Basic Plus" so people don't have to try so hard to figure a way around the rules.

:|

-Allegra-

Petersgj
01-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Maybe they should just rename them "Basic" and "Basic Plus" so people don't have to try so hard to figure a way around the rules.

:|

-Allegra-

It isn't a matter of getting around the rules, but finding out exactly what the rules are. If we wanted to get around the rules, we could just have some friends that live there come with us and say that we just moved there and we live with them. That wouldn't be honest or ethical. If it is within the rules to have them buy us tickets, then what is the problem as long as we're up front about it. If it is not allowed, then fine, but what's wrong with asking for clarification and perhaps save $80 per pass?

The Mouse Is Back
01-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Petersgj, I hope you will accept my apologies - that was NOT directed at you personally, your post just happened to be the one preceding it.

It just seems that every day there is at least one thread asking how to circumvent restrictions on ticket media, or EE, or FP, or whatever...of course if there is a legitimate way to save some money or time, go for it.

-Allegra-

Petersgj
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Petersgj, I hope you will accept my apologies - that was NOT directed at you personally, your post just happened to be the one preceding it.

It just seems that every day there is at least one thread asking how to circumvent restrictions on ticket media, or EE, or FP, or whatever...of course if there is a legitimate way to save some money or time, go for it.

-Allegra-

No problem. I just wanted to clarify that I think it is important to stay within the rules and I'm not trying to "cheat" and circumvent the rules, but I don't want to pay anymore than I have to.

Sguidgit
01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
They sell Socal AP's at Vons which are part/socal's version of Safeway. Maybe you can buy them there without needing an ID or a Socal address. I'm not sure though, someone can verify. And a utility bill works instead of an ID with your current address which is what I had to do before.

Darkbeer
01-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Let me quote from the back side of one of the current "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" tickets that is sold at VONS. (Upper left corner)

Guests must reside within zip codes 90000-93599 or Baja California 21000-22999 to use this ticket for admission and proof of residency will be required....

This policy change was made with the SoCal offers starting in January 2005, mainly to help deal with folks trying to sell them on eBay.
Disney reserves the right to check. But in the "real world", I have never heard of anyone not being allowed into the park because they didn't have ID. Heck, I have never seen or heard about a turnstile CM asking for ID to match up with a SoCal ticket.

mom2brent alyssa
06-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I am a former resident of Southern California and had the SC pass for a number of years. The last time I had my SC pass I used my mom's address and didn't need to show a driver's license, but I believe the CM said that in the future driver's licenses would need to be shown. We will be going to DLR in October and I was thinking about getting the $116 pass, will I need to show my license or will just giving them my mom's address work?

Thanks.

stan4d_steph
06-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Check out this previous thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=52553&highlight=socal+pass).

Whittibo
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
4 years ago we were able to buy our own So.Cal. AP at the ticket booth. 2 years ago we found out you could NOT purchase them at the booth, but had to have an AP purchase them for you.

When we went in our first night to register them, we were told they would no longer accept these from "out of towner's" even IF a local AP bought them for you.

It's time again for us to buy passes, is there any new news about AP'ers buying the So. Cal. AP for friends/family?

stan4d_steph
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Threads merged. See above.

Whittibo
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Here is an excerpt from an email I received 9/03/2004

Dear Bonnie:

Thank you for your continued correspondence with the Disneyland Resort.

The Southern California "Resident Salute" is offered exclusively to residents living in zip codes
90000 through 93599. Residents are welcome to purchase up to 5 tickets with proof of residency,
which may be used by their Guests. Identification is only required during ticket purchase.

Sincerely,

Ryan Fabius
Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications

I am not sure if that still applies though, as it was 2 years ago. :s

We had to show I.D. once we got back to the area to get our passes. The ticket just let us in the main gate. It was the person doing the passes that told me that it wouldn't be available anymore and wasn't very happy that I had my tickets, but I also had the email from the person above.

taingirlsmom
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm slightly confused. My aunt lives in Hawthorne and wants to buy us So Cal passes and we live in Northern CAlifornia. CAn she do this?:confused:

mi_mous
07-07-2006, 10:45 PM
When I started this thread, I had all the intentions of getting my BIL and his famil the So. CA annual passes.

We had no problems, we just used our address since we are in So. CA. Also, they will let you do it for the So. CA annual pass, but NOT the So. CA select pass, which is the cheapest one. (At least that is what they told us when we went in November.)

Just give your aunts information as your own. If they give you any looks, tell them you just moved.

(If you feel comfortable doing that.)

taingirlsmom
07-07-2006, 10:50 PM
When hotels advertise AP rates do these apply for SO CAl passes too or just deluxe/premium passes?

mi_mous
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
When hotels advertise AP rates do these apply for SO CAl passes too or just deluxe/premium passes?

I've had a So. CA pass most of the time. I just barely upgraded to deluxe, and I have gotten offers in the mail about AP rates. (Before upgrading.)

blackjackdelta
07-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Why doesn't someone just write and ask them! They do put their names on the replies.

Jack