PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Child Swap Rules?

Pages : [1] 2

ColoradoDisneyFan
12-02-2005, 08:18 PM
We have a 15 year old daughter who is disabled and will be in her wheelchair at Disneyland when we visit during Christmas this year. Since she doesn't want to ride most of the rides, my husband and I would like to use the "child swap" plan (where my husband goes with our other two daughters on the ride while I wait with our 15 year old, and after they finish the ride, he and I trade places and I go on the ride with our other daughters). A few years ago when our family went to Disney World we couldn't do it on some rides, like Pirates of the Caribbean. They told us that they did not allow child swaps since "the ride was considered suitable for all children". It took us twice as long to go on those rides. Are we going to run into this problem at Disneyland? If so, does anyone know which rides don't allow for child swaps?

Thanks

annieb727
12-02-2005, 08:51 PM
they wouldn't let us do it for most of the fantasyland rides (we had two sleeping little ones) and they said the same thing that "the ride was considered suitable for all children" -- though one or two let us since it wasn't very busy. I think you'll find that for any ride that is not height restricted -- they did let us do it EVERY time for Haunted Mansion -- since it can be really scary for little ones.

Dexter
12-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't know of the specific "rules" for the child swap program. I do know that the CM at the entrance to the attraction can likely help you, but would honestly suggest going to City Hall at the park once you get there to see what assistance options are available to you to help make the most of your visit.

You can also check the Parenting in the Parks forum as well as Themepark Access Guide to see if there's something there that may be useful to you.

adriennek
12-02-2005, 08:58 PM
A few years ago when our family went to Disney World we couldn't do it on some rides, like Pirates of the Caribbean. They told us that they did not allow child swaps since "the ride was considered suitable for all children". It took us twice as long to go on those rides. Are we going to run into this problem at Disneyland? If so, does anyone know which rides don't allow for child swaps?

Technically, all rides are capable of rider switch, but only the rides with height and/or age restrictions have official systems in place. So if you're going on one of those rides, they have paper passes ready and the Cast Members are trained to run rider switch. Other rides simply have no official set-up so with rare exception, they'll tell you they can't do it.

Like WDW, Pirates at DLR does not have an official rider switch set-up so you won't be able to "do" rider switch on Pirates, or any other ride at DLR without restrictions.

Adrienne

K & S
12-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Technically, all rides are capable of rider switch, but only the rides with height and/or age restrictions have official systems in place. So if you're going on one of those rides, they have paper passes ready and the Cast Members are trained to run rider switch. Other rides simply have no official set-up so with rare exception, they'll tell you they can't do it.

Like WDW, Pirates at DLR does not have an official rider switch set-up so you won't be able to "do" rider switch on Pirates, or any other ride at DLR without restrictions.

Adrienne

That is a terrible policy restriction, especially in a case in which it is actually a disabled person swap.

adriennek
12-02-2005, 11:05 PM
That is a terrible policy restriction, especially in a case in which it is actually a disabled person swap.

Well I'm not entirely sure why?

Disney has done a lot to accommodate people with special needs. At its a small world, they have a boat that can accomodate a wheelchair so that people who cannot transfer out of their chairs can still ride. They also have this on the train and other rides. Many of their queues are wheelchair accessible and those that aren't have special entrances. They offer Guest Assistance Cards and program that is specifically targeted at addressing the specific needs of the people who come to the park.

My children don't have special needs but they don't like Pirates. That means that either we don't ride it or that we take turns waiting in the standby line. One of my very dear friends does have "special needs" and there are rides she doesn't like so we skip them or take turns waiting in standby lines to ride them. I don't see a difference between doing it for my child or for my friend. Would it be nice? Sure. But I don't feel discriminated against or that Disney owes it to us. It's not "terrible" it's just how it is.

Adrienne

Wesley815
12-02-2005, 11:22 PM
That is a terrible policy restriction, especially in a case in which it is actually a disabled person swap.Then don't visit the park. It's a fair system, if I have to wait in line, you should to.

I fully agree with everything Adrienne said... and I'm glad Disney does to.

sixwoofys
12-03-2005, 02:49 AM
The way I understand baby swap (or child swap) is that it is for parents of children who are NOT TALL enough to ride a particular ride. To begin with it only works if the ride has a height restriction. We have a 5 week old, and a 20 month old, and a 4 year old (among others) and the program helps us quite a bit. These are the rides we use it on:

Soarin'
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Matterhorn
Thunder Mountain RR

We've asked to use it on Pirates, or Mansion but since these rides have no restriction it makes sense that they have no baby swap. Buzz is another one that has no height restriction.

The idea of the program is so parents can "wait" in line "together" (even though they are not techinically together) on rides that smaller children are RESTRICTED. They are not (and should not) accomodate you with baby swap if one person in your party chooses not to ride a ride that has no HEIGHT restrictions. That is simply a persons choice. To accomodate "a persons choice" with baby swap would make a mockery of the program. It mainly was designed to help parents and families of small children, That way Mom or Dad could ride with the other kids as well and they do not have to wait in line twice for the same ride.

ColoradoDisneyFan
12-03-2005, 10:07 AM
I guess I miss worded my original post. It's not that our special needs daughter chooses not to ride some rides - it's just that we know some of the rides will give her a sensory overload causing her to act out. We don't want to make the ride unbearable to her or the other guests.

Thanks for the information on the rides that do child swap. My husband and I will just have to take turns on who get to go on the rides with the kids.

MammaSilva
12-03-2005, 10:14 AM
A safe 'general rule' of thumb will be that if the attraction has height/health 'restrictions, then it probably will offer rider switch. I don't know how they work at WDW but at Disneyland the rider switch pass is only good for 2 people, not the entire group. As a parent of a special needs daughter I can appreciate balancing the family desires vs the needs of your daughter. Look at it this way tho, the time you save on those attractions she can/will enjoy gives you the time to wait in the queues twice for those attractions that just don't accomodate rider switch.

ToursbabeC3po
12-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I use to work to several attractions without age/height restrictions and I would accommodate parents with children that did not want to ride all the time. But there were others that did not want to bother and they did not have to do it so they did not.
I would ask and see if they can accommodate you. I would not expect it and if they do it just a nice thank you would be nice.

There are less cast members that are going to go out of there way to help out right now because they are working 12 hours a week 7 days a week right now and are tired a grouchy but there are those few that will go above and beyond and I hope that you get those that will help you.

kisroo
12-03-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm curious. How does it work if you wait in line and at the last minute, the child opts to not ride if they are scared. Can one adult wait with the little one, while the other rides and then swap? Or would we need to wait in line again?

~kisroo:)

MammaSilva
12-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I've actually seen that happen, and what the CM in our case did....loaded the family sans the mom and little one, they walked thru to the other side of boat (yep it happened at pirates) but they didn't let her wait til the family came back, they had to exit and wait for their family outside the attraction.

kisroo
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Good to know. Thanks Mammasilva!

~kisroo:)

AVP
12-03-2005, 01:42 PM
ColoradoDisneyFan,

I'll disagree with TheOtherAdrienne for a moment, and suggest the same thing as Dexter - head to City Hall when you get there and explain the situation, and see what they can do.

I do not consider it unreasonable to ask to use a child swap-type system in your situation. If you daughter can not be left alone, which it sounds like she can not, then I see no reason why your group would wait in every line twice so one of you could stay with her. Your group is waiting in the stand by line like everyone else. It's not like you're asking for a *gasp* front of the line pass.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what happens.

AVP

MouseWife
12-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't know if we've just been lucky {or bad parents?} or what but....

The Hubster and I have taken our 11 year old with us many times. Before he may have been to little/young/whatever to ride certain rides. So, one of us would sit outside the ride while the others rode said rides.

Now, he chooses not to ride certain rides because he doesn't like it. Well, he is 11, that is his choice. But, I am now saying 'I want to ride it, too' so what we do is make him walk through the line with us, staying with us the entire time. When we get to where we board, he steps across {Splash Mountain, Space Mountain} and waits for us just on the other side at a place where the CM's point him to. He is not allowed to leave that area. I think that to leave him out front of the ride is way too long for him to be alone but I don't want to force him to ride or miss out {I think he is big enough to understand this}. On Tower of Terror, he also walks through the line with us and they have a hallway where guests like him sit and wait for the others to complete the ride.

I know this is different than your question, really, and that he is older than a small child who can not be left alone. But, I thought it might come in handy for those parents who only have one child and may come across this situation.

He is not afraid to wait for us that small amount of time. At first he balked at going through the line with us but I figure that is because he thought we would trick him into going on the ride. :~D He now trusts that we won't punk him that way. :fez:

It has made our tripsmuch more fun, we all go on the rides we want to and he is not left alone for more than the length of the ride. This may not work if your child is skittish about being alone at all or likes to wander. The Boy doesn't. :)

adriennek
12-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I'll disagree with TheOtherAdrienne for a moment, and suggest the same thing as Dexter - head to City Hall when you get there and explain the situation, and see what they can do.

I don't think we're disagreeing.

I just wouldn't be holding my breath that they would say yes based on my experiences (especially with Haunted Mansion Holiday) and I wouldn't think it was "terrible" if they didn't do it.

Adrienne

ToursbabeC3po
12-03-2005, 02:56 PM
City hall can't do anything in that regard because there is no stamp on a GAC for a child swap. It would be a smart Idea though for them to do something like that for a guest that is older and can not ride many attractions.

K & S
12-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Then don't visit the park. It's a fair system, if I have to wait in line, you should to.

I fully agree with everything Adrienne said... and I'm glad Disney does to.

These people are willing to wait in line, they are hoping to avoid waiting in the same line twice. Their disabled daughter can't go on some rides, what would be the harm in extending the policy to include families in this same situation? I gather from the post that they don't have the opportunity to go to Disneyland often, so simply skipping the rides their daughter can't go on will diminish the entire family's experience.

K

sunfun94
12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
It seems a though it is a attraction to attraction basis and not something that City Hall can do anything about.
ST and AO have the ability to accomidate and when it happened to me as a CM I just did a normal Child Switch situation...I had the dad/mom who was waiting go to the other side (its hard fighting the guests coming onto the starspeeder to go out) and then let the turstile know that they had to add 2 guests to my alloted 30 for a trip so that I was only sent 28 and then collected the waiting parent and thier ride partner for the next trip...it was smooth and seamless...
You cant help for the guests who have unexpected situations with children while waiting inline. hey, their kids. Whaddaya gonna do? lol..

I do hope that they are able to accomidate you and your family so that you have an enjoyable expierience!

adriennek
12-04-2005, 04:35 PM
City hall can't do anything in that regard because there is no stamp on a GAC for a child swap. It would be a smart Idea though for them to do something like that for a guest that is older and can not ride many attraction

I would have reservations about such a stamp unless they could figure out how to institute a piece of accountability into the situation.

With the rides that currently have Rider Switch, as you know, when the CM gives a family the RS pass, the CM asks who is waiting in line first and watches that group get in line.

With a Rider Switch Stamp, there would be nothing to insure that half of the group first waits in line and it would then turn into nothing more than a front of the line pass.

And a Front of the Line pass would not only negatively impact 'regular' guests but it would impact guests using GACs and guests using wheelchairs in HCA lines.

Adrienne

ToursbabeC3po
12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I agree with you they would have to see party walk into the line and maybe the greeter person can mark the pass saying part of there party waited or something I don't know.

Hopefully they will just have some nice cast members on there trip! Always ask! You never know :-)

adriennek
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree with you they would have to see party walk into the line and maybe the greeter person can mark the pass saying part of there party waited or something I don't know.

I think we might not be talking about the same thing.

Are you talking about a GAC stamp to use Rider Switch on rides with existing rider switch "programs" or for rides that do not otherwise have Rider Switch?

Because most rides that don't have existing Rider Switch don't have CMs attending the ends of the lines unless there's an active Fast Pass line. They would have to add a CM greeter at a majority of the attractions in the resort.

Adrienne

ToursbabeC3po
12-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Yes that is what I was saying and you are right there is no greeter on those attractions and I know that Disney would not add a greeter possition on rides that do not have them. It would cost them too much money.

adriennek
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Yes that is what I was saying and you are right there is no greeter on those attractions and I know that Disney would not add a greeter possition on rides that do not have them. It would cost them too much money.

Gotcha. I'd be less opposed to a rider switch stamp GAC if it meant that the holders were using the GAC to get a pass on an exisiting Rider Switch ride because the process is already in place.

Adrienne