PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays and Disney Dining Reservations

sdfilmcritic
10-27-2005, 09:24 AM
So does anyone know what they do at the Blue Bayou restaurant when a reservation is made over the phone and you tell them your party is celebrating a birthday? The person asked me that as she was making the reservation for me. I was just wondering what they do at the restaurant to celebrate a birthday.

nursemelis374
10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
I think that all they do is sing and give you a dessert. I have celebrated two birthdays there this year and they did that both times. Incidentally, the dessert was chocolate mousse and it was delicious!

sdfilmcritic
10-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I think that all they do is sing and give you a dessert.They sing? In public? :eek: Uh-oh. I think I'm in trouble.

nursemelis374
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Well, they sang to me, but not to Shelley. I would prefer NOT to be sang to.

sdfilmcritic
10-27-2005, 09:43 AM
My girlfriend does not like people singing Happy Birthday to her because she says it makes her feel like an idiot having to sit there while everyone is looking at her until the song has been finished.

cstephens
10-27-2005, 01:06 PM
My girlfriend does not like people singing Happy Birthday to her because she says it makes her feel like an idiot having to sit there while everyone is looking at her until the song has been finished.

My suggestion would be to talk to your server, and tell them that while you're celebrating your girlfriend's birthday, she prefers not to be sung to, if that's something they normally do. I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate.

rentayenta
10-27-2005, 01:09 PM
My suggestion would be to talk to your server, and tell them that while you're celebrating your girlfriend's birthday, she prefers not to be sung to, if that's something they normally do. I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate.

To add on this, the server will probably thank you. Singing Happy Birthday was one of the worst parts of being a server.

julia
10-27-2005, 02:35 PM
You could go to a special restaurant for birthday dinner, like Napa Rose, and just get a very special dessert. Then, everyone could get what they want for dessert. Put a few candles in the birthday girl's dessert and blow out the candles quietly. You could even look at getting a birthday cake from Disney, too.

Have a great day!
Julia Elzie
http://www.goandavo.com
jelzie@andavotravel.com

geoffa
10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
For those who do like the razzamatazz of celebrating a birthady - Disneyland Resort Paris do birthday cakes (about $20 and the best choc fudge we've ever had) and you have a choice of several restaurants or cafes to have one. We chose Cafe Mickey for an evening meal. Not only did Mickey bring in the cake personally but we were surrounded by about 12 other characters whilst candles were blown out. The recipient stills talks about it to this day and our nephews were so wide eyed that their Uncle got such incredible treatment. Granted not everyone likes fuss but for us this was a moment to treasure. Chocolate mousse sounds poor by comparison.

KarenW2
10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
When we were at the DLR last, 10-15 & 10-16, for MouseAdventure weekend and to celebrate my birthday, we had a late lunch at BB (before MA) and dinner at Club 33 the next night (after MA). When reservations were made at both restaurants, they were told it was for a birthday.

At Blue Bayou, we were surprised when they asked us what we wanted to order for dessert, took our order, then after we were finished with the desserts, they brought out the birthday chocolate mousse (more like pudding, if you ask me). I was already full from dinner and the dessert I ordered (thinking I wasn't going to be getting any birthday dessert there), so there was no room for the mousse. I left it at the table, since our friends didn't want it and it wasn't something that could be put in a "to go" container, to be brought out with us afterwards.

At Club 33 the next night, the same thing happened! We were asked for our dessert orders (my hubby and one friend got the vintner's menu, so they had cheese and their dessert as the last 2 courses), they were brought out and my hubby quietly asked our waiter if they'd forgotten to put a birthday candle in mine. He told him, "No, that comes later".

We finished our desserts, then they brought out the "Mickey Mousse", on a plate with a lit candle!! Again, I was already full from dinner and the dessert I ordered, so I thought this was odd and again, had to leave the dessert there, since it wasn't able to be brought home.

In the past, they'd brought out the birthday mousse or whatever, then asked the rest of the party if they would like to order a dessert as well. This made sense, since there was room enough for one dessert, but not two. Other places we've been have made whatever dessert you ordered your birthday dessert, it was brought out with a candle, then comped on your bill.

Since BB and Club 33 are not cheap restaurants, you wouldn't think they'd be that desperate to sell desserts, that they would do it this way now. Did anyone else have this experience?

GrumpyUTboi
10-28-2005, 06:27 AM
The profits on the desserts are incredilbe, so yes they should push the desserts. What costs them 25 cents they charge $4, it is a no brainer.

sdfilmcritic
10-29-2005, 08:36 PM
What costs them 25 cents they charge $4, it is a no brainer.Twenty-five cents for a serving of dessert? Where are they getting their food supplies from? Costco?