PDA

View Full Version : I Have Converted

Pages : [1] 2

drjones
10-17-2005, 09:00 AM
I was once, one of the DCA bashers. There is no way that it can match the pure magic of Disneyland itself. BUT... Lately I have found myself actually wanting to go there. I don't know what it is. I can't explain. I actually seem to be enjoying myself walking down Hollywood Backlot. Taking in the atmosphere of the Paradise Pier. The smell of burnt coffee. The overly loud song that in some way have to do with California. (What, by the way, does "Hang on Sloopy" have to do with California?) DCA seems to be growing on me, and my family as well. Maybe Ouimet and eventually Iger finally found out how to put the magic where it was lost......maybe

merlinjones
10-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I went to DCA lately for about a half-hour after some months of avoiding it and found it to be even more boring and ugly than ever by comparison with Disneyland's ongoing refreshment.

Sad opportunity that was blown for this second gate by passionless MBAs with no imagination or faith in the impossible. It will be hard to ever correct without a massive rethink. Check out MiceAge's coverage of the new additions at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea for the escapist quality we should have been getting from the infamous "Disney Brand."

Whittibo
10-17-2005, 09:26 AM
OH my gosh.. that BURNT COFFEE smell makes me want to puke! I thought it was just me. What are they doing that it stinks like that? We could never really put our finger on what that smell was, like burnt toast or something, but YUCK. It's like the opposite of the "vanilla smell" of DL.. LOL..

I think our "like" for DCA is just because it's familiar now. When I walked into Knott's I hated it from the second I got there. It wasn't the same, wasn't right and I didn't feel at home. I didn't even know which way to start walking. With DCA we know where our favorites are now, and just go into those. I wish they weren't so spread out though. ;)

We typically spend about 10% or less of our Disney time at DCA. It's just not got the same "happy feeling" that DL does. The same thing holds true for me and Toontown. I just don't see the point of Toontown. It's not "Disney" to me, and neither is DCA. All I can say about DCA is it's a typical theme park with SOME good rides, and has the same high standards as Disneyland does (which Knott's does NOT even compare to), but just isn't a "Magical place".. not a bad place, but just not the same.

Alice Fan
10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
I like DCA, too. I understand how it can be seen as "less than" by many Disney Purists. But for myself personally, DCA can seem just a little more laid back, a little less crowded, and yes, I'll admit it, a little less stressful sometimes. After we've dealt with the crowds at DL all morning, we invariably wind up cruising over to DCA for a couple of hours in the afternoons. I like the music, and I like the scenery. I am not in any way saying it compares to Disneyland (because it doesn't, imo), or that it couldn't have been "done better". I'm just saying my family and I like it. :0)

Skunker
10-17-2005, 09:52 AM
I have fond memories of DCA and the Hollywood backlot because DH actually got a call for a job offer on his cell phone while we were walking towards Tower of Terror! We get to move back home, yippee!

Yes, we had an exciting trip and maybe someday I'll get to write a report!

GrumpyGoofyGuy
10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Ok-I'm going to have to chime in here. I only joined and started posting here recently. I have been reading forum posts here for over a year. My wife and I have been going to Disneyland together and with our two boys at least once a year since before we were married starting 30 years ago. We even went there on our honeymoon. We like California Adventure! We never expected it the be just like disneyland. It's different in a good way to us. We don't like reading all the California Adventure bashing that goes on here. On second thought, we should be happy so many of you don't like it. Less crowds and shorter lines there because a lot of people don't like it. Now that I think about it, why am I trying to defend California Adventure? You people have every right to hate it. Don't change the way you feel about California Adventure one little bit! :D:rolleyes:

mariogarza
10-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Ok-I'm going to have to chime in here. I only joined and started posting here recently. I have been reading forum posts here for over a year. My wife and I have been going to Disneyland together and with our two boys at least once a year since before we were married starting 30 years ago. We even went there on our honeymoon. We like California Adventure! We never expected it the be just like disneyland. It's different in a good way to us. We don't like reading all the California Adventure bashing that goes on here. On second thought, we should be happy so many of you don't like it. Less crowds and shorter lines there because a lot of people don't like it. Now that I think about it, why am I trying to defend California Adventure? You people have every right to hate it. Don't change the way you feel about California Adventure one little bit! :D:rolleyes:

I agree...everyone has the right to have his or her opinion about it...for me it will never compare to DL, c'mon 46 years do mean a lot...However, I find the place very unique in it's way...if you get to spend some time at Six Flags then you would know it will never compare to DCA...The place sure brings a relaxing day with some high quality thrills and fun, of course it still needs to grow up, as well as new rides and more entertainment, but I say is quite promising...after all, It’s not even 5 yet!...at least in my case a visit to the DLR wouldn't be completed without a visit to DCA...and I'm sure that is true for a lot of you guys too...

geoffa
10-17-2005, 10:57 AM
I was once, one of the DCA bashers. There is no way that it can match the pure magic of Disneyland itself. BUT... Lately I have found myself actually wanting to go there. I don't know what it is. I can't explain. I actually seem to be enjoying myself walking down Hollywood Backlot. Taking in the atmosphere of the Paradise Pier. The smell of burnt coffee. The overly loud song that in some way have to do with California. (What, by the way, does "Hang on Sloopy" have to do with California?) DCA seems to be growing on me, and my family as well. Maybe Ouimet and eventually Iger finally found out how to put the magic where it was lost......maybe

If you're not from CA or even the USA then DCA is a distallation of the State and the kinda things you can find for real out there. (I LOVE BIG SUR!) I actually like it except the bakery and farm bit - it doesn't "edutain" as Walt would have said. And the TOT exterior is gross. It's like an overweight hotel that needs to loose some weight. Apart from that a great little park which isn't trying to be Son of Disneyland. It needs some makeovers but Soarin' more than makes up for that.:fez:

DISNEYfied
10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Let's hope there are some major plans for DCA's 5th Anniversary coming up :D

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
i enjoy it. but more important my 6 year old neice LOVES it. especially the ursula's grotto where she can sing along with her favorite disney characters, or talk to crush (which was adorable when she got picked by crush to answer questions).

all in all when we are all old and cant do anything anymore its gonna be the younger generations who's gonna have these special memories of that place. they are gonna be the ones thrilled to take their kids there cause of all the fun times they had at DCA. no one is forcing the older generation to make fond memories, think of your kids (if you have em). it just gets so old to here so much hatred for a place thats not meant for just your enjoyment. if your kids love it or younger siblings, cousins, nephews, neices, WHATEVER...then thats what its about, allowing them to grow up with that park so they can cherish it as we do DL. im not saying its of the same caliper but like someone else said DL is 50 years in the making and DCA isn't even 5 yet. sometimes people make snap decisions about something that in the end can blossom into a beatiful and fun place to be.

...at least that what i think

DianeM
10-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I find it amazing that in half an hour you can check out a park thoroughly enough to know that you hate it. Did you ride Grizzley? Did you watch "It's Tough to Be a Bug"? The Muppet Show? Did you ride California Screamin'? Soarin? Tower of Terror? How about visiting the train toy store and trying to sqeeze as much Mr. Potato Head stuff into the box as you could? Wandering around the back lot?

There really is a lot to do at DCA, but I think you have to have an open mind and be willing to spend some time wandering and trying to find the magic. I think that if you do, you might find yourself whistling "I wish they all could be California Girls" when you leave DL instead of "The Pirate Song".:-)

I went to DCA lately for about a half-hour after some months of avoiding it and found it to be even more boring and ugly than ever by comparison with Disneyland's ongoing refreshment.

Sad opportunity that was blown for this second gate by passionless MBAs with no imagination or faith in the impossible. It will be hard to ever correct without a massive rethink. Check out MiceAge's coverage of the new additions at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea for the escapist quality we should have been getting from the infamous "Disney Brand."

Susan L
10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
We have always enjoyed DCA - that's all I need to say.

Pat-n-Eil
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
We have always enjoyed DCA - that's all I need to say.

Ditto.

olegc
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM

i know we're not supposed to do this - but I think some folks have much bigger issues with this second gate (and their overall desire to make the resort what they want) and will never be satisfied. So - one can have an opinion of a position and that's great - but after a while the hammering is just bothersome.

Don't get me wrong - there's a lot to fix in this place called "the second gate" but sheesh!

Noah
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
I took a friend who has never been to DCA yesterday, we arrived at 4pm, my freind paid full price 1 park admission (57 dollars or so)
We spent 5 hours at the park, did all the E tickets twice, saw it's tough to be a bug, went on a bunch of the "C" and "D" ticket rides (Mailboomer, Swinging Chairs (I forget the name:) ) The SunWheel, etc. Had a glass of wine, had a great time. My friend enjoyed the park very much, there were people in the park but it was not busy, 5-15 minute wait times max. As opposed to Disneyland Park (Sunday 10-17) massive wait times and crowds, DCA was relaxed, fun and non pressure enjoyment. Of course we all have our opinions on DCA and I would not compare it to DL since it really is just a diffrent experience, although it is very fun and enjoyable. As cool as the "Parking Lot" was, I think DCA makes much better use of the real estate!
Of course there is always room for improvement, lets not forget if we were analyzing DL on its 5th anniversary we would probably have lots of complaints as well! :) or maybe not <grin>
I know what really bugs the diehard DL'ers is the fact that DCA closes hours earlier than DL and floods DL with even more crowds to an already crowded park right before the parades :) :cool: :eek: :~D :crying: :fez: :mad: :)

TDBearGrrl
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
We like California Adventure! We never expected it the be just like disneyland. It's different in a good way to us. We don't like reading all the California Adventure bashing that goes on here. On second thought, we should be happy so many of you don't like it. Less crowds and shorter lines there because a lot of people don't like it. Now that I think about it, why am I trying to defend California Adventure? You people have every right to hate it. Don't change the way you feel about California Adventure one little bit! :D:rolleyes:

AMEN!!!

If you don't like it - don't go. No one is making you... Leave it to the rest of us to enjoy it!

itig
10-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the middle on DCA. I definitely don't hate it, but I do think there is much more that could be done. My kids LOVE the Playhouse Disney show and I think TOT is really great. Soarin' is a blast (for my wife...I get dizzy) and the Grizzly is fun too. I can live without the Muppets - loud and pointless in my opinion. I like ITTBAB (acronym from hell), but it's too intense for little boys. Flik's area is OK, but we don't seem to have much fun there. The chew-chew train is a waste of space in my opinion. I ride Screamin', wife hates that kind of thing...not much else we like on the Pier at this point. Maybe when the boys are older they will like some of the other rides. Overall, I kind of like the atmosphere in DCA. I like how the music changes between the different areas (very Disney in my opinion) and it feels really upbeat to me. We've enjoyed watching the Electrical Parade there on several occasions and I also like the Aero theme around Soarin'. We don't spend a ton of time in DCA on our trips, but I do enjoy it when I'm there. I hope they continue to add things to improve the experience. Looking forward to Crush and Monsters Inc. in the future.

SeansMom
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
all in all when we are all old and cant do anything anymore its gonna be the younger generations who's gonna have these special memories of that place. they are gonna be the ones thrilled to take their kids there cause of all the fun times they had at DCA.
...at least that what i think

After our trip to DCA/DL when our DS was 8, he said his favorite ride was GRR. I, of course, was shocked. What about Splash...and HM and Pirates...:confused: . He was adament and, well, that's really what it's all about, everybody having a good time, even if there favorite ride IS in DCA! :)

Rhiannon8404
10-17-2005, 03:39 PM
I like it. I think it's a nice break from the crowds at DL. We probably only spend a quarter of our trip there, but we enjoy it. I like that I can get a cold beer and sit outside and enjoy nice weather

Nancy
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
We like California Adventure! We never expected it the be just like disneyland. It's different in a good way to us. We don't like reading all the California Adventure bashing that goes on here. On second thought, we should be happy so many of you don't like it. Less crowds and shorter lines there because a lot of people don't like it. Now that I think about it, why am I trying to defend California Adventure? You people have every right to hate it. Don't change the way you feel about California Adventure one little bit! :D:rolleyes:

I feel the same way. We went to DCA in the first place cause the kids wanted to and eventually the place just grew on me. My husband grew up with the Board Walk in Santa Cruz so he liked it from the start. I hope the people who don't care for DCA don't go.:)

MrsG
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the middle on DCA. I definitely don't hate it, but I do think there is much more that could be done.
Great description, itig. Pretty much the way MrG and I feel. DCA isn't bad, but it isn't great... yet. Much room for improvement. We pretty much stay away from the PP area (except for Screamin') and the kiddie farm area. But we really like HBL, and the whole Soarin'/ GRR area.

disneyhound
10-17-2005, 05:08 PM
...What, by the way, does "Hang on Sloopy" have to do with California?...But Dude, that is like totally a surf song, surfing means California, for sure...

merlinjones
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
>>I find it amazing that in half an hour you can check out a park thoroughly enough to know that you hate it. Did you ride Grizzley? Did you watch "It's Tough to Be a Bug"? The Muppet Show? Did you ride California Screamin'? Soarin? Tower of Terror? How about visiting the train toy store and trying to sqeeze as much Mr. Potato Head stuff into the box as you could? Wandering around the back lot?<<

Seen it all before. Shrug.

I do like Soarin' alot when the film print is clean (except for the ugly CGI TinkerBell of course).

The rest is 'meh' at best.

>>There really is a lot to do at DCA, but I think you have to have an open mind and be willing to spend some time wandering and trying to find the magic. <<

An open mind can be like an open trench when it comes to issues of quality and aesthetics.

mkcbunny
10-17-2005, 06:34 PM
We like DCA, too. Agreed that it's not Disneyland, but we like being able to pop over there for a few rides, getting soaked on Grizzly over and over again, and a salad with a glass of wine. And although I'm not a huge fan of the current Aladdin show [or at least with the cast I saw; may be different now], the theater is a really nice element to have, both for entertainment value and for resting. I love CA Screamin, as well; very smooth coaster with a cool view.

There's ample room for improvement, but we like out little DCA. My one big wish for DCA is that they would get real, fresh funnel cake. I mean, a boardwalk without freshly made funnel cake ... now that's disappointing. If they got the real thing, we'd be there every day!!! LOL.

ErikBsandiego
10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I have to say I am in the anti-DCA crowd. To be precise, I vote with my pocketbook. I go to DL about 3-4 times a year but would not make the trip from SD just to go to DCA.

And here is an interesting thought exercise.......

How many Japanese tourists do you think there are that are salavating to go to DCA (remember, JUST DCA)? Contrast that with how many disneyphiles are wishing/dreaming/trying to justify to their spouses to get on a 14 hour flight to go to Disney Seas. I think that the answer is obvious and is exactly why some of us think we go the "red headed step child" of the expansion period (though to be fair that may be the studios in Paris).