PDA

View Full Version : DL souvenirs for little boys

texas minnie
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Any one have some good souvenir ideas for little boys? Something unique they won't find anywhere else (other than the golden ears, of course!). I was reading a previous thread for ideas...got some good ones, but mostly for little girls. I got my Disney Dollars this weekend for their souvenir money - the new dollars are SO CUTE!
Thanks so much! This board is always so helpful...

TowerofTerror
09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
buzz light year toy

potzbie
09-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Speaking as a former little boy . . .
:)

Based on a visual observation, the #1 toy of choice is a pirate sword in its own scabbard.
(Near the exit of PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, next to BAT AND ROUGE.)

If they still sell them, (Frontierland) a flint-lock rifle or pistol will be of interest to little boys. I think the store at the exit of POTC sells the flint-lock pistol.

(I am still awaiting the return of the coonskin cap.--I'm investing big bucks in raccoon skins, to ride the wave, sure to come.) :|

In ADVENTURELAND, I think an INDIANA JONES fedora (hat) would be super-cool, if not a pith helmet.

I think the plush toys in ADVENTURELAND might be of greater appeal than plush toys of other lands. I am thinking of the monkeys and snakes and alligators or toucan (or hornbill) birds.

Anything STAR WARS. -- You can't go wrong with a light sabre, or any Star Wars space ship.
Alien actions figures, I think, are still a solid choice.
I know when I exit STAR TOURS, I am very tempted to grab a YODA or a DARTH VADER action figure, or a technical specification book for the Death Star and Tie Fighters.

Vegitabeta
09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
What about pins?

Disney4Me
09-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Lots of good ideas here in this post. Two others that my son still treasures are his Pirate hat instead of Mickey Ears :eek: with Captain (insert name here) and his spinny light up toys. He was taken with everything in Adventureland too.

Based on a visual observation, the #1 toy of choice is a pirate sword in its own scabbard.
(Near the exit of PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, next to BAT AND ROUGE.)

If they still sell them, (Frontierland) a flint-lock rifle or pistol will be of interest to little boys. I think the store at the exit of POTC sells the flint-lock pistol.

(I am still awaiting the return of the coonskin cap.--I'm investing big bucks in raccoon skins, to ride the wave, sure to come.) :|

In ADVENTURELAND, I think an INDIANA JONES fedora (hat) would be super-cool, if not a pith helmet.

I think the plush toys in ADVENTURELAND might be of greater appeal than plush toys of other lands. I am thinking of the monkeys and snakes and alligators or toucan (or hornbill) birds.

Anything STAR WARS. -- You can't go wrong with a light sabre, or any Star Wars space ship.
Alien actions figures, I think, are still a solid choice.
I know when I exit STAR TOURS, I am very tempted to grab a YODA or a DARTH VADER action figure, or a technical specification book for the Death Star and Tie Fighters.

kinglouie1967
09-20-2005, 04:58 AM
Yup, guns are fun. The Indiana Jones rifle makes cool noises. Don't know what type of rifle it's supposed to be, but it's my 11-year-old's favorite.

Star Wars, yeah. I really wish there was a way to avoid the store after Star Tours. My little guy is gonna go nuts.

Another thing little boys like is trains. A die-cast monorail or, if you're looking for something bigger, a Disneyland Railroad model with the track and whatnot. We put ours up around the tree at Christmastime.

I know they sell toy cars by Test Track and Indy raceway at WDW; they probably sell them somewhere at Disneyland, too. Don't know where. Probably by Autopia.

infinite
09-20-2005, 06:59 AM
As the mother of two little boys I can safely say….anything with a lot of blinking nights and strange noises that makes you want to throw it after about 2 minutes. Find that, and you have found the perfect little boy gift!

DaddyB
09-20-2005, 07:12 AM
I am still awaiting the return of the coonskin cap.--I'm investing big bucks in raccoon skins, to ride the wave, sure to come.) :|
The coon skin caps are back! (http://www.visionsfantastic.com/daddyb/2005_09_12_Update/05.jpg) Look for this cart right at the entrance to Frontierland. It used to be a pin cart.

Skunker
09-20-2005, 07:23 AM
The coon skin caps are back! (http://www.visionsfantastic.com/daddyb/2005_09_12_Update/05.jpg) Look for this cart right at the entrance to Frontierland. It used to be a pin cart.holy davey crockett. thanks DaddyB!

Wendi
09-20-2005, 07:53 AM
The spinny light up toys for sure! Max's last one was just the sphere with lights on the inside - nothing actually spinning around on the outside, which is great. He calls it his "Space Light" and still loves it.

PrincessMomma
09-20-2005, 08:19 AM
I have 3 little boys and just asked them their favorite souvies they have gotten there:

7 year old: Star Wars gun from Star Tours store and Indiana Jones hat.
4 Year old: Mickey ears and gloves (the big ones that make you look like Mickey Mouse). He also loves his Buzz Lightyear that transforms into an jet.
2 Year old: His favorite changes each time you ask, but he reallly likes the light-up sword we got him ~ it's a sword, which is always good with my guys, but also helped him when he got scared on dark rides. He also loves his Buzz Lightyear light spinner.

Other big favorites are: Anything from the Star Tours store, any rubber reptile from Adventureland, Indiana Jones figures and shirts, pins and lanyards (my guys love theirs even when they are not trading because they can get so many different kinds of pins ~ any ride or character they can think of), Just about anything from The Pieces of Eight (Pirate Store), Watches, and pressed penny books to collect pressed pennies.

We leave for Disneyland in about 11 days, so my guys were more than happy to sit around and ponder favorite souvenirs and drop hints! Hope you have a good trip!

DaddyB
09-20-2005, 09:24 AM
We leave for Disneyland in about 11 days, so my guys were more than happy to sit around and ponder favorite souvenirs and drop hints! Hope you have a good trip! That's so cute! Thanks for sharing!

PrincessMomma
09-20-2005, 12:50 PM
...I just remembered a couple more souvenirs my boys love ~ rubber shackles from the Tower of Terror store (can also be used when they aren't behaving :) ), and the potato head stuff from Enginears (also in DCA). You get to grab a box and fill it as full as you can with potato head pieces ~ I seem to remember it being just under $20. Lots of the pieces are specialized Disney things like Goofy Hats and Mickey ears. The actual Potato Head body is the same as the ones at any store, so it's better not to waste room in the box with the large body, but if you do, fill it with pieces! My husband has made fun of me more than once playing "Tetris" with those pieces and trying to fill every last nook and cranny!

One more, then I'll shut up... in Downtown Disney ~ for around $6 (small) and $12 (large) you can fill a little tub with Lego pieces in the Lego store. Lots of wheels and stuff, and one of the only ways you can pick your pieces. Although my guys are always sad that they can't fill a whole tub full of Darth Vaders...

texas minnie
09-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Wow - Great ideas! Thank ya'll so much...I'll let you know what our faves end up being!

splash
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I would suggest a "Darth Tater". These are the Mr. Potato heads dressed up like Darth Vader. Very cool (if available). At Engine Ears toys in DCA.

DaddyB
09-20-2005, 02:36 PM
I would suggest a "Darth Tater". These are the Mr. Potato heads dressed up like Darth Vader. Very cool (if available). At Engine Ears toys in DCA. and at the star tours shop in Tomorrowland.

Rhiannon8404
09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
My 7 year old loves his pirate sword. Also his "Peter Pan" knife. I'd say pretty much anything from the Pieces of Eight shop outside PotC would make him happy.

abitjaded
09-21-2005, 04:44 PM
If the boys are with you, get silhouettes cut on Main Street in DL. You get two for a great price. Nice keepsake for you, too, but you can tuck them away in their keepsake boxes for when they are older. I think these are still the cheapest, most wonderful thing that DL offers.

Carla

garrett240
09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
As a kid I loved the guns from the PotC shop. I remember being excited for 1 of those for months before our trip!

Those racoon caps are so cool!

I also like the idea of getting a light up toy for my kids for the dark, scarey rides. My kids might need a little light they can bring with them on some rides. Great idea!

EDIT WHOO HOO!! The counter works!

truesally
09-21-2005, 09:26 PM
If the boys are with you, get silhouettes cut on Main Street in DL. You get two for a great price. Nice keepsake for you, too, but you can tuck them away in their keepsake boxes for when they are older. I think these are still the cheapest, most wonderful thing that DL offers.
This is a great souvenir, and takes less than 2 minutes - those people are amazing! My husband & I had ours done on our honeymoon, and we got our kids' done last year. Unique treat, very easy, inexpensive.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Pieces of Eight recommendations - my son was/is pleased with his pirate set. It included a sword, eye patch, & stuffed parrot that attaches to an arm with a velcro band for about $15. He supplemented with inexpensive extras - Jolly Roger flag, telescope & hook for around $9 total. Great fun for all :)

*A note, which I've pushed before but so wholeheartedly encourage parents to do: Take a small notepad & pen to the park each day (no money!) for kids to record a wishlist (write item, price & store), then choose what to buy the night before your designated shopping day. This saved my son from spending $8 on a Star Wars pen as we exited Star Tours, our very first ride at DL...!

BayAreaDisneyFan
09-21-2005, 10:26 PM
This thread reminds me of a funny, or if not funny, at least remarkable DL story. We were walking through Adventureland on our way out of the park late one night a couple of years ago. The little boy souvenir of choice at that moment was the lighted, retractable light sabre. We were walking behind a family with two small kids, and witnessed the little boy do a full wind-up and swing the light sabre, hitting his sister right across the head. It clearly was not the first offense, as the dad grabbed the light sabre, walked to the nearest garbage can, and tossed it in.

My kids stood there for a second, jaws gaping, then my son leapt for the garbage can to retrieve the light sabre. I restrained him, thinking the dad would surely relent, but they just walked on toward the exit, both kids wailing, and some other little boy snagged the light sabre from the garbage.

I can see it like it just happened tonight.