PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Childhood Memories

Mickey
09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
In the present Im 24 years old. But I remember as a little kid, I used to close my eyes when I got on Mr. Toads Wild Ride on the train part, it was so scary!!!
I was such a crybaby in Snow White's Scary Adventures, each time I heard the witch screaming as she falls at the end was terrifying.
It was a drama when Splash Mountain opened, I cried like never before because I was so afraid of the last drop.(I can actually remember the TV SPOTS)

I never got on Space Mountain untill I think was like 11 or 12 years old. Now the only thing Im afraid of is LONG LINES... ;)

Scroll Lock
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
I hear ya Mickey. My wife and I are native Californians and practically grew up at Disneyland. My childhood was spent with The Country Bears, Rufus, America Sings and Autopia. My teenage years enjoyed The Peoplemover, Inner Space, The Haunted Mansion and the coaster rides.

Now, my fatherhood is spent sharing those parts of my childhood with my own 2 children and watching the magic in their eyes. Half of my Disneyland photos are simply of my children watching something in the park as their eyes light up. My oldest was with us in time to see one of the last Country Bear "Vacation" shows. Now it's all gone. I brought my parents to catch one of the "final" Electric Light Parade shows with my wife and I. Luckily, both my boys have caught the DCA version.

I miss catching that first glimpse of The Matterhorn from the 5 freeway and that old globe atlas statue. I miss the old parking lot with it's full frontal facade of "The Magic Kingdom" and trying to resist running towards the gates at full stride. I miss actually fitting in the caves on Tom Sawyer's island and running amok in and out of the trees and the fort. And I miss curling up in the backseat of the family car, falling asleep on the way home, still clutching my day's souveniers.

But in the end, Walt said it right: "Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future."

Disneyland is different and special for each and every person; holding specific memories and magic special just to you. Everytime I visit, I relive my childhood and that feeling of 'there's no place I'd rather be right now' washes over me. And at the same time, I enjoy following my children and standing back and watching the magic sweep over them. In that moment is when it all comes together and is the reason this 'collective' of Disneyland fans exists the way it does. We all know "that feeling" and it's that feeling that connects us all and brings us together.

Thank you Mr. Disney.

ima_mickeyfan
09-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I was a poor deprived child...I have no memories of disneyland as a child..
My first visit to DL was when I was 21. I went with my aunt and her family to help with the kids, but I think I enjoyed it the most. I am currently waiting for my 3rd trip, ony 4 more days to go...I am making sure that my kids have those memories, trip # 2 was when We adopted our 2 boys, now trip # 3 is to celebrate the adoption of or 2 girls, next year will be to celebrate our 5th child which we are in the process of adopting....so after that we are going to have to go visit DL just to visit, cause I am not adopting anymore children!! are you seeing a pattern here, adopt kids, disneyland, adopt kids, disneyland....time to come up with something different! ;) :)

Splashfan
09-08-2005, 05:25 PM
My uncle used to live in Westminster so my Dad would take us to stay at his house and we'd go to Dland a couple times a year. This was back in the early 60's. I remember mostly my two older brothers taking all my E tickets..... :D
Not anymore. I'm now taking my two daughters to the Happiest Place on Earth!!!

Malcon10t
09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I also have few memories of DL growing up. I know we went when I was 8, and the main thing I remember was all the fighting (my parents seperated a few weeks later.) I know we stayed at the Magic Lamp. I know we visited after my parents divorced, and staying at the Jolly Roger and DLH. Most of my memories are of taking my sisters thru the late 70s and early 80s. And then taking my kids. And any other kids willing to tag along. I love all the memories we have created with my kids. And the memories of taking my nephews. And the memories of taking a bunch of teen boys and watching even their eyes light up! Or listening to my sons compare stories of meeting people there. (My son, 12 at the time, wondering how to get a green card for an Australian girl he met at Disneyland...) Or the "I love you" game... Oh the stories...

splashmtngurl
09-08-2005, 08:15 PM
wow it seems that disneyland memories certainly play a very big role in alot of our hearts, whether we are concious of it or not.

I know that although im still young alot of my most favorite and cherished memories are of times spent with my family at disneyland. I love nights when i cant sleep and i just lay awake trying to remember every waking detail. The disneyland in my memories is very much like the Disneyland we still know other then the fact that i think we had a few different things that are gone such as country bears....

But i think thats what walt disney wanted right, was to plant memories in peoples minds so that when times get dark we have somehting bright to reflect on i like to think of it that way anyway

mariogarza
09-08-2005, 08:28 PM
My first trip was at 4...I just remember being afraid of everything....and I mean EVERYTHING......I was afraid of mad tea party, of dumbo, the subs, I was even afraid of the monorail....and not only the rides...actually I was soooo afraid of the characters!!!...also fireworks.....we have a lot of pics of my sis with characters...I don't have even one... :rolleyes:

Mom2PrincessChloe
09-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I only went to Disneyland once as a child. I don't remember it as I was to young. I went there on my husband and I's first date. We got married there 9 months later. I have 3 boys and finally a girl. We live in Northern Cal. but try to go to DL once a month. My daughter LOVES it. She talks about it all day, watches the videos we have taken and even playes Princess and Disneyland with her little friends. She won't be deprived like I was....... It is my Majical Happy Place as well as hers.......

Butterfly Skyy
09-09-2005, 06:12 AM
I think my fondest memories of Disneyland as a child were more about my family than the rides...my parents fought a lot when I was little but they never, ever, ever did it at Disneyland. Never! As soon as we walked through those gates we were like any normal "happy" family, enjoying the day at what I truely believed (and still do) is a very magical place. If it weren't for Mr. Disney I may never have had those happy moments in my childhood, those "calms of the storm" and for that I will always be greatful.

squuggy
09-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Though I went to Dinsey land often as a child, every visit was THE EVENT OF THE YEAR! My brothers and I would spend days poring over our souvenir map, planning with military precision how we would attack the park. Of course once we arrived all planning went out the proverbial window and it was another free-for-all of a visit. Ah, memories...

Butterfly Skyy
09-09-2005, 06:38 AM
My brothers and I would spend days poring over our souvenir map, planning with military precision how we would attack the park. Of course once we arrived all planning went out the proverbial window and it was another free-for-all of a visit. Ah, memories...
omig! We did that too! It was great!! *lol*

rfaljean
09-09-2005, 08:28 AM
I remember my mom and dad surprising us with day trips to Disneyland (we lived in SoCal at that time)... I remember my dad taking me on Space Mountain and teasing me with each emergency exit door, " are you sure you want to keep going, it isn't too late to leave", until we actually got on the ride. I think I was 8 the last time he was able to ride with me, he got severly motion sick and we had to leave. We'd go at lease twice a year. My parents divorced when I was 10 and we moved to NoCal. We'd go every summer to visit Dad and he'd take us to Disneyland. We'd have lunch and Club 33. I was very impressed that we could eat there. My dad passed away in 1999. Every time I go to Disneyland, it reminds me of him (he absolutely loved it-did hydraulic repair for Mr. Lincoln and Dumbo in the earlier days). I can actually feel him with me when I go (my youngest sister feels the same way). I can't wait to go home again in Novemeber.

truesally
09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
My first trip was at 4...I just remember being afraid of everything....and I mean EVERYTHING......I was afraid of mad tea party, of dumbo, the subs, I was even afraid of the monorail....and not only the rides...actually I was soooo afraid of the characters!!!...also fireworks.....we have a lot of pics of my sis with characters...I don't have even one... :rolleyes:

This is so funny - my grandparents took me for my 5th birthday, and all I have is a general 'feel-good memory' since it was my birthday and I loved my grandparents, but I don't really remember any events at the park. Except for crying and putting my head in someone's lap during Pirates of the Caribbean. And the one picture we have is me standing (and bawling) by Donald Duck and my poor grandma, who has a this-is-so-frickin-fun smile on her face. :eek:

It is truly interesting how sometimes we don't remember actual activities as much as the overall feeling of a good time. And I think that is a blessing, especially for the dark times we go through, like someone else mentioned. I try to keep this in mind when I take my kids (it's easy to forget when you worry about the money & time involved in the trip) - every moment counts not so much because it was filled with a big "something to do" but because it happened with a loving parent who only wanted her children to feel special & safe & joyful. It is a great place that can inspire so many vague memories that are still so meaningful!

TinkyWinky
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
As a kid I was deathly afraid of the moving ramp you had to walk on to board the doombuggies in the Haunted Mansion! The darkness, ghosts, creepy pictures, etc., didn't bother me at all - but the ramp freaked me out! My dad always had to lift me up and carry me into the doombuggy.

Also, I was afraid that the submarines would fill up with water and we wouldn't be able to get out.

But I did have fun on all the other rides... I swear! :D

rentayenta
09-09-2005, 11:53 AM
I have so many memeories of Disneyland as a child because my dad took me weekly. :D

The only things that I recall really scaring me were the ghosts that pop up behind the tombstones in the HM.

I also remember feeling really badly for the ghost's skinny dog. :crying: I still do. :geek:

MermaidHair
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Being from the Bay Area we visted Disneyland a number of times as a kid but not tons. Like other posters I have the general "feel good" memories of those times. And memories of "planning the attack" Which rides would we use our E-tickets on???? A couple of visits in particular stand out, however. One when I was about 10 and my only sibling/sister was away for an extended vacation with a friend. To make it up to me my parents arranged a trip to DL with a good friend of mine but nobody told us until it was time to get in the car to leave for the airport. We absolutely flipped!

Another time, a few years later our whole family went with another family and I remember getting to go to Club 33. My dad was so excited that he was able to get a drink in DL! I thought the best thing about it was a harpsichord they had in there. My sister sat down and started playing "The Entertainer" on it. Sounded hilarious! Anyone know if the harpsichord is still there?

tom522
09-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Disneyland in its glory days:E Tickets-Peoplemover-Inner Space-The 70's mouseketeers performing on the Space Stage-Papa Doo Run Run at Coke Terrace-Me winning a new car during the parks 30th Anniversary-Going with my beloved parents when I was younger-Country Bear Jamboree-Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland-America on Parade-Main Street Electrical Parade-America Sings-Carousel of Progress-Rocket Jets(on PM platform)-The sixty hour parties for the opening of EO and Star Tours.AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
THE MEMORIES!

Clotho
09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow you won a car at the 30th? I won a Mickey plush at the 35th. That was super fun!

Inner Space is a big memory for me. it was so scary and so exciting! I want it back! WAH!

I LOVED the Electrical Parade. That music would stick in my head for months after, making me smile.

Coke Terrace! I LIVED for catching the stage going up or down throughout the day. That was the best!

tom522
09-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Wow you won a car at the 30th? I won a Mickey plush at the 35th. That was super fun!

Inner Space is a big memory for me. it was so scary and so exciting! I want it back! WAH!

I LOVED the Electrical Parade. That music would stick in my head for months after, making me smile.

Coke Terrace! I LIVED for catching the stage going up or down throughout the day. That was the best!
YUP- I won on january 4th 1985 - 4th person to win one that year and first AP to win. There is even an article about me winning in the summer DISNEY NEWS ISSUE 1985-TITLE : HE CAME TO WIN-anybody have that issue?

twist1980
09-09-2005, 08:05 PM
As a kid I was deathly afraid of the moving ramp you had to walk on to board the doombuggies in the Haunted Mansion! The darkness, ghosts, creepy pictures, etc., didn't bother me at all - but the ramp freaked me out! My dad always had to lift me up and carry me into the doombuggy.

Also, I was afraid that the submarines would fill up with water and we wouldn't be able to get out.

But I did have fun on all the other rides... I swear! :D

I know the feeling! I was also afraid of the subs filling with water (they really did dive deep underwater...I swear)! I also wouldn't go on the Haunted Mansion until I was 12! I rode it once when I was six and it broke down and we got stuck in the elevator forever (at least thats how it felt). Nothing could get me to go on it again for years!

I was also afraid of Thunder Mt. for some reason. My sister is six years younger than me and she rode it before I would!

My parents were the greatest though because they would always let me choose what to do, and we had the same routine every time. We had to start in Adventureland and go in a circle. Started with the Tiki Room, then the Jungle Cruise, then Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, and PoTC and so on.

I miss being a kid, but at least I can still be one at heart!

I Heart Disneyland!
09-09-2005, 08:08 PM
I remember going to DL in the mid 1960's, prior to my mom's death. I remember a candle shop, where they dipped candles, and we watched them for the longest time. I remember buying an Alice In Wonderland watch, with a pale blue band, that came with a figurine of Alice. I remember me and my mom riding It's A Small World (and will always love that ride, because it reminds me of her), and taking our photo in front of Monstro. :)

Micmousetoo
09-09-2005, 08:33 PM
My Grandmother took my two sisters, my Mom and myself for our first trip in 72. We had a blast! But what we all remember most was being soooo thirsty because it was 104 degrees on the day we visited. My Mom swears she spent more money on lemonade than ticket books for the rides! We also swear that the lines were longer for drinks than for rides. But we didn't mind it was magical!

I didn't go to Disneyland again until I was 19. My Dad and Mom were going to a Los Angeles Rams football game and airplane ticket prices were so good ($95.00 for a nonstop rt ticket) they sprang for me. I met up with a friend and spent the day at the park. What fun. But then she bailed on me to meet up with some of her other friends. I went back to the hotel totally bummed and then my Mom and Dad got back from the football game. My Dad was wiped out but I begged my Mom and she agreed to spend the evening at the park with me. I must tell you the evening we spent together at the park is one of my best memories of all the times I have spent with my Mom. You name it, we ate it, rode it, saw it and laughed about it!! And to top it off some company was having a private party so the park stayed open until 2:00am!! We ended the evening riding Space Mountain. There was absolutely no line at that time in the evening so I kep making my Mom run around to ride it again and again until she could not take it anymore. The tram to our hotel stopped running at 1:00am so we had to walk back to the Hilton Towers. We stopped off I believe at Denny's for a bowl of soup or something like that. We did not get back to the hotel until around 4:00am. I don't think my Mom had spent the night out on the town into the wee hours of the morning since she had dated my Dad. But we did together at Disneyland, The Happiest Place on Earth. Anyway, I love Disneyland and all the priceless memories I have made there. Thanks Walt! :)

nvmom
09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
I have no Disneyland childhood memories... my first trip was this past Mar at the age of 31 yrs old! I'm addicted now :D I'm trying to convince my dh that we can make it an annual event. It's just so magical and easy to be a family at Disneyland... I want my own 3 to have lots of magical memories.

nvmom

coronado_g
09-09-2005, 10:37 PM
My childhood memories of Disneyland and my grandparents are all wrapped together. My grandfather worked as a DL carpenter for over 25 years and my grandparents house is at 537 South Harbor Blvd. Disneyland is 1313 South Harbor Blvd...so the house is very very close. Every weekend, my sister and I would visit my grandparents at that house and we'd go to DL at least once during the weekend.
Being an employee, my grandfather would sign us in at the gate and we'd go in for a short time just to run around on a couple of rides. At that time, they were using tickets still but my grandfather would walk my sister and I up to a ride entrance and the CM would recognize my grandfather. The CM would say
"Hey Tony!" and my grandfather would introduce us as his grand-daughters. That made us feel sooo special. And then the CM would wave us into the ride for free!
During the summer, my sister & I could see the fireworks from the backyard of my grandparents house. It was great. We always knew when it was 9 pm because that's when the show would start. We'd hear Bam Bam Bam and we'd run outside to watch.
My grandfather worked there at DL until he retired. He loved the job and always said it was the best job when Walt Disney was alive but after that, things weren't the same for the employees. I guess Walt really was the heart and soul of Disneyland. Nevertheless, I love DL just as much as I did as a child and I cherish the memories of being there with my grandparents while my sister and I enjoyed the park.

Whittibo
09-10-2005, 06:36 AM
These are such wonderful stories! I think DL should have a memorabilia book, where people can write in and get their stories published!! Wouldn't that be awesome!

I went one time as a child, I must have been about 8-9 (maybe 1975/76)? We only spent I think one day at Disneyland and 1 at Knott's. We stayed at the DLH, and my best memory was of the water show there.

I didn't go again until my honeymoon in 1990. My dad never saw the point in going twice, "we've already been there once, why go again?" (jerk)

On our honeymoon, I don't have great memories, I had a bladder infection and all I remember is looking for bathrooms all day. :(

We finally made it back to DL with our kids in 2000, we didn't hold back, we really did it up that trip because we thought it was a "once in a lifetime" trip. But once we got back, we figured we need to go annually. (in which my dad still thinks we are stupid for wasting our money doing it annually, yep.. still a jerk).

We don't hold back much on our trip. We figure "what the heck, we're on vacation".. I am pretty frugal all year, and it's our one time to just do what ever we want, no worries about money. We just re-fi'ed our equity line of credit to pay for this years trip. ;)

I am hoping I can give my children some grand memories of "family". Something I didn't have. My parents would go on vacation every summer, and my brother and I went to stay at my grandparents house in the Bay Area, which I have very fond memories of that because my grandparents loved us more then anything in the world. And THAT'S the feeling I want my kids to have from their parents!